My Dream Khukuri Has Arrived!

Yesterday, I spoke with Bill. I learned that we had had a misunderstanding about my khukuri. I had ordered one with the handle carved, but I had misused the word "engraving", and Bill told me the blade had been engraved instead. He told me that I could send it back if I wanted to, but I didn't think I would.

Later, when I came home from town, the package was at my doorstep. I took it in and openned it. The first part of it that I saw was the buttcap. I looked at it and thought, "This is a big knife." I start pulling it out of the box. That's when I noticed the handle. It had been carved. I thought, "Whew! I got just what I had asked for." Then I pull the rest of it out. My thoughts, "DAMMNN! This is a big knife! The karda and chakma are HUGE compared to ones on my other khukuri (16.5" WWII)." Then I draw the khukuri. The blade itself had also been engraved. I thought, "Mother of God(s), this is a big and beautiful khukuri." I had seen its picture the day before and had envied whoever would get it. Now it was mine!!

This khukuri dwarfs my 16.5 WWII, even though it is only an inch and a half longer (18" WWII). Here are comparative specs between the two.

16.5 WWII:

Handle (excluding buttcap and bolster):
About 1.12in in diameter (excluding main ring), 4 3/4in long.
Buttcap: 2 1/8" front to back, 1" side to side.
Bolster: 5/8" handle to blade, 13/16" wide.
Blade: 11" long, 1 7/8" width, 3/8" thick.
Karda: 4 3/4" overall, blade 2 5/8" and 1/16" thick, handle 2 1/8".
Chakma: 4 5/8" overall, blade 2.5" and 1/8" thick, handle 2 1/8".

18" WWII:

Handle: 1.31" d., 5 1/16" long.
Buttcap: 3" f. to b., 1 3/4" s. to s.
Bolster: 15/16" handle to blade, 1" wide.
Blade: 12 1/4" X 1 7/8" X 7/16".
Karda: 6 1/8 overall, blade 3 5/8" long and 3/16" thick, handle 2.5" long.
Chakma: 6.25" overall, blade 3.75" long and 3/16" thick, handle 2.5" long.

A recent Tactical Knives article was about custom guns and the need for more custom working knives. When I read it, I knew that a custom knife for me would be a khukuri with handle carving and blade engraving. Well, I got my custom khukuri. Right now, I don't have any chopping chores to do. I will wait until I find one deserving of this special khukuri. When I do, I'll post my review.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 08-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 08-25-2000).]

Sure as Hell, Bill!
biggrin.gif

Jon, sorry, I don't have the equipment to post any pictures. It's the one in the "One of The Fanciest Khukuris" thread. Hopefully the next person who orders one of these can post some pictures.

BTW, I used the term "ricasso wrong." I meant the brass bolsters. I'll edit my mistake.

Bob

If you can take some good pictures with a conventional camera (yours or a friend's), you can get digital images from any of a number of oufits, or you can mail prints to any of a number of folks around here who own a scanner and can post the images.
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

:
Yup!!!! Pretty is as pretty does, and yet I would put up my 27" Banspati against any of the rest of the khukuris I give a home to!
biggrin.gif

I just hate the smell of that damned Brass Handle though. Even several coats of Johnson's paste wax won't make it go away!!

When I was working in the shop, I hated to get a sliver or a cut on brass worse than any other metal. I believe the damned stuff is poisonous as it festers and gets sorer than being cut by any other metal. Even copper is better than brass!

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"There's no trick in being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

...............Will Rogers......

Khukuri FAQ

:
I am gonna have to check the pix on this kreation of the kami's when I get back home.
I am connected at 14,400 bps on this old computer and the images are absolutely Horrible on here. My Webtv with all its foibles and disadvantages just kick the poo waden crap out of some computers as far as loading time and connections. I can leave my Webtv connected to this forum all day and just have to hit reconnect when I want back on. And the images are photo quality!!

I can only imagine what this khukuri looks like when portrayed as it actually is instead of what appears to be a 5 color pix!!

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"There's no trick in being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

...............Will Rogers......

Khukuri FAQ

I would say wood sliver's are worst than metal, they really do fester. The ones that really fester is hair slivers.

Yvsa, have you thought of a thin film of epoxy to seal the brass from sweat and air.

Will

Epoxy ... or clear lacquer ... that's what they finish trumpets with. I can tell you clear Rustoleum won't hold up; it's acrylic and can't take the abrasion a handle is subject to; just the rubbing of your hand will wear it right off. Polyurethane might work, though. Epoxy will no doubt hold up best if you can get it. If you can find a hobby shop that caters to remote-control car builders....

-Cougar :{)

Will, I don't doubt that there will be a significant difference in chopping ability. A while back, someone referred to the 16.5" as the "fighter" of the WWIIs. After handling the 18 incher, I wholeheartedly agree. My 16.5" in light and well balanced, while my 18" is a heavy duty khukuri. I'm glad I didn't order the 18" AK. The WWII is heavy enough.

My only objection is the frog. Its rather thin. I'm going to get a 16.5" WWII as a birthday gift for an uncle. His birthday isn't until Veteran's Day, so I'll wait and order an extra Superfrog along with his khukuri. Bill, a few questions: I'm going to get a horn-handled model. Since wood models are more common, how soon should I place my order so that it will arrive in time? Also, how much for a Superfrog for an 18" WWII?

I'll get a disposable camera this weekend and take some pictures of my khukuri to mail to Bill. I'm new to khukuri-photography, so I'll take several in order to make sure I do it justice.

Bob

Bill, I'll give it my best try. If anything else, I'll be sure to get good pictures of the differences between my two khuks. Expect the pictures to arrive around Wednesday.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 08-25-2000).]

Bill, I'm getting the pictures developed, and will send the good ones later today.

Bob

Bill, did my khukuri come with a Superfrog? It looks thin to me, but I'm no leather expert.

BTW, you should be getting my pictures by Thursday. Since you're already busy with the convention pics, don't feel obligated to post mine right away.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 08-30-2000).]

Back