My EDC change: from fixed to folders

Yet another sad transition for me. My decision to change my EDC's from fixed blades of my own making back to factory folders is one I was determined not to make but it's become all too clear to me it has to be done.
With my wife by my side I only saw minimal attention drawn to my choice of cutlery carry. Only once in a while I saw a look of consternation on the face of someone. And only occasionally(read: rarely) did I see what I construed as fear on the face of someone who was obviously uncomfortable at my choice of knife.
I'm by myself now and I'm seeing far more looks of concern to outright fear on the faces of people around me while out in public. It's become abundantly clear to me that the presence of my wife with me put most people at ease about what I was carrying. Perhaps a man wearing a fixed blade knife accompanied by a woman(read: wife) seems less threatening. I don't know for sure but that seems logical.
I only know that I'm attracting attention that I'm not comfortable with at this time. I find I'm becoming downright paranoid about the prospect of having to explain to officer Friendly why I'm carrying a fixed blade that's scaring the gen. public. That never used to concern me much when I was out and about with Sue. Now, it seems, I'm in a whole new ballgame and I'm not sure I like how the deck is now stacked against me.

So, I've switched to folders earlier in the week as an experiment and I see no one giving me :eek: looks. :confused: :( Good grief...

Well, I guess I'm gonna go with this for awhile and see if it's actually a trend or if I'm just goin' gaga here. :rolleyes: :eek: :barf: :D

Anybody else notice this? I mean, less attention drawn to what your carrying when your accompanied by your wife/girlfriend?

Yeah, I made that switch a long time ago and started making my own folders shortly after that. That doesn't work for me either. I have never been able to keep one of my own long enough to get attatched to it really. I always end up giving one away to a family member or selling it off later to someone that admires it. I thought at one time if I wrote on the inside, "hand made for STR by STR" that I'd keep it this way. Didn't work either.

These days I either carry my upgraded Spyderco Salt1 or my David Boye Dendritic Cobalt. Don't even have but a handful of fixed blades anymore. The older I get the more I drift away from high maintainance anything. Never thought I'd have anything but a 5 speed manual in my truck and never thought I'd carry anything but a high carbon blade. All that went out the window though. I drive automatics and sway away from anything that needs special care more and more. Go figure.

Rogue males are often perceived as uncivilized and unpredictable - a visible blade can only add to this misplaced perception.

Having a woman on your arm calms people - she will keep you under control.

Just out of curiosity, what size FB are we talking about? I used to get some looks when I had an Arclite on my belt but hardly anyone noticed the Prairie Fox (carried the little TOPS with my keys hanging from a beltloop on a carabiner). Can you legally carry a FB concealed or does it have to be open, like in CA? Have you tried a small FB like a BitterRoot or a Little Bird? I wonder how a smaller puukko would be percieved.

Frank

Just out of curiosity, what size FB are we talking about?

I usually carried knives the size of the knives in my avatar. Actrually, I carried those two quite a bit too. Around the 3.5 to 4.5" blade range. I didn't really have the need for a 6" or > blade too much, so they fell out of favor as urban carry pieces. At home is another story, so that's when I carried blades of that size.

Can you legally carry a FB concealed or does it have to be open, like in CA?

I'm in the process now of getting my CCW permit. In Florida a CCW includes knives so when I get that permit I'll carry FB's again.

In the last month since Sue died, I've been buying folders looking for something new for the pockets. It seems in the last year or so there have been a LOT of very high quality folders that have become available. I guess I'm playing catch-up since I really slowed down the buying in the last 15 months or so.

Anyway, the two biggest jewels I've found that have become my new EDC's are the BM Skirmish and the Spyderco Manix. The size and quality of these two folders is almost unreal. Especially the Skirmish. There's just something comforting about the size and sheer mass of this folder. It and the Manix are just awesome cutting tools.
I'm trying to fit some of the other's into my rotation, but these two keep finding their way into my pockets and give up their place only grudgingly.

Here's a quick list of what I've gotten in the last month or so aside from the two previously mentioned:

BM Gravitator
Black Military in S30V
Kershaw Bump (the green one)
Spyderco Stretch
lg. Kershaw Storm II

I'm very surprised at the quality of the two Kershaw products I've gotten. The Storm II is probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck knives I've yet come across. Easily beats out CRKT's stuff. I'm amazed at the quality of this piece for it's price.
The Bump just floored me with it's beauty and construction. The thing is just flat out the cutlery equivalent of a Lexus.

I'll be going back to Ruff's this week sometime and will be giving a heavy look at Benchmade's section. From what I've seen the last time I was there, BM has pulled no punches in putting out pure high quality products. LOTS of stuff caught my eye last time I was there. This time I'll go better prepared. ;) :D

Misque, sorry to hear about your wife. Since you make your own knifes, why not make a slimmer, shorter fixed blade that will be invisible.Say a 2 1/2 '' or so blade. On the other hand, you are starting a new era in your collecting.

I'm getting a Stretch here soon myself. Looks like a real winner to me.

Misque

Get your CCW and be done with it. I also carry the same size of FB's (3.5-5.5") concealed quite comfortably with nothing but an untucked shirt. No IWB or anything like that, most of the blade is hidden by my belt as the knife and sheath rides behind the belt in a cross draw fashion. Sorta like Bowie blades are carried or when you played pirates as a kid, just a bit more horizontal. The handle lies flat against the side of the stomach and just an inch or so protrudes below the belt about where the left pocket is.

I carry a folder also in a belt pouch which is also nominally concealed, but that is for when I need a knife around sheeple. The FB never gets seen. I only own one folder just for this

I showed this to my wife who was amazed. She did a good deal of growing up in Ocala (lived in the Ntl. Forest) and her sister still lives there. Said that back then a pistol may get a look, but knives? Her Uncle was Ross Allen if that helps explain anything. Having a long gun and knife handy were just a part of life then. Guess things have changed and not for the better.

Hope you don't have to wait too long on the CCW. I like my folder well enough (Sebbie), but it's still broken in the middle. LOL

Rob

Rob,

I showed this to my wife who was amazed. She did a good deal of growing up in Ocala (lived in the Ntl. Forest) and her sister still lives there. Said that back then a pistol may get a look, but knives? Her Uncle was Ross Allen if that helps explain anything. Having a long gun and knife handy were just a part of life then.

Ross Allen! How cool is that?!! I've been an admirer of his since I was old enough to read. He started my fascination with snakes and wildlife biology in general.
Having a long gun and knife are still a part of life for the forest dwellers and us in-towners too. We've gotten a little more low key here in town. I live two houses outside the city limit BTW.

Guess things have changed and not for the better.

Yeah, just a little. We're growing here and we seem to be attracting lotsa yuppie types. I've never seen so many Lexus' in my life as have shown up around here in the last five years or so. Them and the BMW's. :rolleyes:

Lotsa soccer mom's too.

But, fortunately, we still have a lotta folks who have sense enough to know a knife is a tool and not just a terrorist tool. Thank God!

STR,
The Stretch is a very nice knife. I'm gonna be carrying it to places where a more gentlemenly knife is called for. It'll be paired with the Kershaw Bump. I'm used to carrying two knives so I've started pairing up knives for the appropriate occasion. Call me crazy... :D

guy g,

I've considered doing up smaller fixed blades, too. I'm just comfortable carrying 3 1/2-4 1/2" blades.
I'm going to run with the folders for awhile till my CCW permit comes thru, then I'll likely revert back to what I'm used to carrying.
Just be doing it on a more low key basis. My regular carry stuff shouldn't be scaring the sheeple if it's not in their face, don't ya know!

Yeah, her first 'job' was sitting in the audience during shows and volenteering to have the indigo snake draped over her shoulders. Used to wow the tourists 45 or so years ago.

It's more than sad that outsiders are moving in and want the locals to adapt to their way instead of the other way around. I used to live 13 miles out of Gainesville, really in the sticks. A girl I went to HS with lives in the same area now and where the little 2 pump gas station/general store was is now a Starbucks. I really liked having a cow pasture for a backyard. Now, it's just another suburb.

Rob

Oh Wow that stuff about the rogue male and the woman can control him! That makes me want to go postal and shove stuff where the ssun don't shine! :footinmou :mad: Ok Calming down. I guess your right. But here in Idaho I have carried a seven inch Randall model 2 and a 5 inch Model three around in the sheath and didn't notice any looks but people that kinda knew me would make crass jokes about meetings in dark alleys and it always turned me off. :rolleyes: I get fustrated that criminals gang bangers and felons get treated good and evil corporate greed hounds get treated even better and they are the ones who deserve looks and prejudice. No one can stand someone to think for themselves . The word Threatening is almost the same meaning as the word different. you'd think.
Its the homogenization of American society...They want you to be the same as them so they can be better for being the same sooner or soemother vague unreality based reason. Its all about peoles age old fantasy of controlling other people.Its just not possible its not reality. I figure being polititcally correct is plain evil, if you consider its implications.

Back