My First Benchmade

I'm soon going to be the proud owner of a brand new 940, and I couldn't be more excited! I've been wanting one for a couple years now and I've finally had my (modest) funds coincide with the stock at my local store (they've been hard to come by in stores near me). Pre-amble aside, while I patiently await for my day off so I can purchase/pick up my knife, I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts were/are on the 940 and the 940 family in general. I'm also interested in hearing about any stories or experiences related to the first Benchmade people around here have owned.

Congrats on the knife purchase and welcome to the club.

It's a knife I've bought and sold a few times, but always seem to come back to. Probably the best overall folder on the market.

Make sure you inspect it before purchasing. They've been known to have an issue or two out of the box on occasion.

My first Benchmade was one of these I think:

s176785101782029085_p72_i1_w2464.jpeg

I can't say for certain. It was ages ago and I wasn't the aficionado that I am today. I just remember it had a skeletonized handle an was a liner lock.

Congrats, the 940 and 943 are fantastic EDC knives. When you consider it's size and the capability to weight ratio, there isn't much that comes close.

Congratulations!!!!! I used to own the 940 and liked it. They are terrific knives, but the pivot screw is prone to backing out. If you are picky about blade centering like I am, just be sure the blade is centered to your liking, then put some blue loctite on the pivot screw to prevent this.

You'll love it.

Nothing compares to a well dialed in axis-lock. Super fun!

I love my 940, but I must tell you that I paid $50 less than what the local big box stores sell it for. It's typically much cheaper on the interwebs.

My first was a 556.
31878720402_64a03bd415_b.jpg

Congrats on the knife purchase and welcome to the club.

It's a knife I've bought and sold a few times, but always seem to come back to. Probably the best overall folder on the market.

Make sure you inspect it before purchasing. They've been known to have an issue or two out of the box on occasion.

Thanks! And I have. After hearing (seemingly) a lot over the last little bit about Benchmade having some QC issues, I gave the knife a thorough once over at the shop (I just didn't want to buy it then and there as I wanted to give the purchase some thought first). Then a couple days later I called back and asked them to put it aside for me.

Congratulations!!!!! I used to own the 940 and liked it. They are terrific knives, but the pivot screw is prone to backing out. If you are picky about blade centering like I am, just be sure the blade is centered to your liking, then put some blue loctite on the pivot screw to prevent this.

Will do; thanks for the heads up.

I love my 940, but I must tell you that I paid $50 less than what the local big box stores sell it for. It's typically much cheaper on the interwebs.

It would've have been cheaper for me to buy it online too, but I wanted to try and see the knife in person because $250-$300 CDN is a fair sum for me and if there were some issues with it, I wouldn't have enjoyed the hassle of sending it back. For me, the extra $50 or so is worth my piece of mind.

My first Benchmade was the Ritter Mini Griptilian (S30V). I carried it exclusively for several years and I think I just got bored with how unassumingly excellent and issue free it was. It's almost like it wasn't there--when I needed to cut something I cut it without fuss or even conscious thought, and then it would disappear back into my pocket. Anyway I foolishly sold it and got into a long list of Spyderco products. When the Ritters came out in M390 I got another Mini Grip and it's become my favorite knife. Eventually I sold off most of the Spydercos since I hate to have stuff lying around not getting used... Now I am about to pull the trigger on a 940, just can't decide which one.

The 940 was my first Benchmade. It's still my favorite folder design. Might as well go ahead and put the 940-1 on your list too:)
Pretty sure it already is (even if I don't quite know it yet), haha :D. I just thought I should start out slow before I start throwing all of my money at Benchmade! ;)

Picked up the 940 today and I couldn't be happier with my particular example. The grind is more or less even and while the blade was super tight and a little off-center when I purchased it, loosening the pivot screw (apparently BM tightens the crap out of the pivots in their knives that they send up here to Canada so they can get through customs) and then bending the knife with the blade extended fixed both issues. Just to reiterate, I'm super happy with my 940 and I foresee a lot of my time being spent opening and closing this knife (love the Axis Lock)! :D

lDyYUWA.jpg

j5Si1CX.jpg

C38kDb3.jpg

Edited for spelling/grammar and clarity.

Last edited:
I've had my 940-1501 for a few days now. Too soon to tell if it's a long term winner for me, but I love it so far. So comfortable to carry. Initially I found the thumb stud to be difficult to access--there's just not enough real estate on that narrow blade to allow for much space between the scale and the stud. I'm getting used to it though.

I've had my 940-1501 for a few days now. Too soon to tell if it's a long term winner for me, but I love it so far. So comfortable to carry. Initially I found the thumb stud to be difficult to access--there's just not enough real estate on that narrow blade to allow for much space between the scale and the stud. I'm getting used to it though.

I could see how that might be frustrating to you, but from a design standpoint, I think it makes sense; the flush thumb studs go well with the slim lines of the knife. Also with the blade being so narrow, 'tis the nature of the beast (concerning the lack accessability to the thumb stud).

Call up Benchmade and ask for a griptilian thumb stud. It is slightly longer and makes it much easier to access. the -1501 and -1 variants are slightly thicker than the standard aluminum. The longer studs work much better in my opinion. They still don't protrude past the scales either. I think they should have come stock with these.

I plan to get some of those Griptilian studs ASAP.
T6 driver and your all set. Makes all the difference. I have heard others complain about this as well. I don't know why they don't come that way from the factory.

I called Benchmade Customer Service and the person I spoke with said the thumb studs for the Griptilian are the same size as those on the 940. He's going to ask some of the other techs there and get back to me if he finds more information.

Back