My First Homemade Sheath

Guys, time to post those sheaths you've always kept hidden!!

these are my first two..
I didn't glue the welds properly, and the Howler's sheath already got its stitches cut.. The Puukko's sheath performed quite well, but has a more traditional sheath in rawhide today..

82991939uz6.jpg

:thumbdn::D:thumbdn:

I say that's a very good effort for your first ones....very good job on the wet molding and stitching.:thumbup:

Is the Howler sheath similar to the one you did for your Ratmandu? It looks like it has a different belt loop and a longer sheath for the handle overall. I admire how your work incorporates the strengths of leather and kydex, traditional yet modern at the same time.

Is the Howler sheath similar to the one you did for your Ratmandu? It looks like it has a different belt loop and a longer sheath for the handle overall. I admire how your work incorporates the strengths of leather and kydex, traditional yet modern at the same time.

Nope, this is made of halftanned leather only, built the traditional way with a welt. My main objective here was to make the welt lock the blade in place, and I succeeded in that. I thought the pouch needed to be this long to be safe, but it's not.

today this is my Howler sheath..

HowlerSheath01.jpg

HowlerSheath08.jpg

HowlerSheath06.jpg

HowlerSheath03.jpg

HowlerSheath02.jpg

The winner of the contest at SRKW will receive an improved version of this.
;)

best regards,
martin

Mrrrtn and Ilbruche, those sheaths look really good for first tries! Did you both have experience working, and especially sewing, leather before making the sheaths? The first sheaths I made were awful by comparison especially the stitching.

Mrrrtn and Ilbruche, those sheaths look really good for first tries! Did you both have experience working, and especially sewing, leather before making the sheaths? The first sheaths I made were awful by comparison especially the stitching.

The top 2 sheaths are the very first stuff I ever did with leather.
I found it frustrating work to do, and after those I didn't try anything for like 6 months. It's a year ago I guess.

The Howler sheath is my 5th or 6th sheath. I gave it some more thought. I like them to be rigid, and this is my first of 5 where I used kydex for a liner. I finished 12 sheaths today.

The square form was to try it out.
Personally I like this one more:

RatmanduSheath02.jpg

the left side has the shape of a Roman sword whilst the opposite side is shaped more organic in a scandi type of way.
I like the contrast..
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552823

Thanks, I like the style on that one also.

Sometime I'll try and post some of my first sheath's so you can know what frustration is really like. It would have helped if I had researched a little before trying but I'm not big on reading directions on other stuff either.

It's genetic for me. Spinning, weaving, knitting, tatting, tying flies, climbing. I've been surrounded by stitches, strings and threads since I was born. Guess it rubbed off.

Nice work, Martin. I dig the color.

Back