My first knife build

thanks willie it cuts well but i do think the having the bevels so low is holding it back somewhat so yeah i will defiantly bring my grind up next time and im going to try to get the width behind the edge thinner as well. i hadnt really done much research into edge geometry and honestly i still need to do more. and yes definitely feels good to have finished one especially since i started it in march lol i just kept getting lazy but thats the nice thing about a hobby i get to go at my own pace

Do a full flat grind and bring the edge down to .015" or so before sharpening. Your bottom knife in this pic is similar to a very popular skinner I make. :thumbup:

2ic0a2x.jpg

Yeah thats what I wanted to do for my next knife.how do you get it so thin post heat treat? Just carefully grind with frequent water dunks? Guess I should be cleaning up the shop so I can setup my 2x42 instead of making knives I cant heat treat lol. I wonder how many belts my better half will let me buy. which grits do you guys find you use most?
Guess im on the right track with that one then lol

Search for Nick Wheeler's grinding and sanding videos. He shows you step by step how to grind and sand start to finish. I think he even has a sharpening video too.

Basically yes, use fresh belts and grind post heat treat with frequent dunking. I don't use gloves or push sticks. If the blade is too hot to hold, it needs to be cooled. A set of dial callipers really helps with getting the edge at the right thickness. I go down to 0.010" on many knives now.

I have seen the sanding and sharpening videos ill have to look up the grinding videos when I get home.
Whenever I envision post heat treat grinding I always picture high grit belts for slow removal would that make sense or would lower grit be better?

I use 60 then 120 blaze belts post heat treat to get to the near final dimensions. I switch to structured abrasives and go up to the equivalent of 320. Others have different methods. Finer belts create more heat counterintuitively.

I just did some looking around trugrit I figured I'd go with the blaze belts but they only have 60 and 120 for the 2x42 is there any particular reason you use the structured belts? Because they have plenty of those in different grits I was thinking I might buy a couple to do a comparison

The structured belts last longer, and seem to cut cleaner. I like the blaze belts for stock removal, and the structured belts for cleaning things up. YMMV. I find the structured belts plug up with scale easier though. Structured belts are useless on handle material. You will just ruin the belt. This is an area where every maker has their own preferences.

thanks willie i ended up getting both blaze (1x60 2x120) and a structured belt (1x400)

so i have a little bit of a confession to make i never actually cleaned up my shop except what was immediately in the way so i finally started working on it two weekends ago (i can only work in the shop on the weekends with the way work is going lately) then last weekend i got my wisdom teeth pulled (all 4) so i didnt do anything last weekend lol but i finally got my 2x42 set up yesterday and today i finally got to use it. So no more excuses and on to the knife

so i drew up a design that i think should be a useful knife so i started with the hacksaw then i ground to about an 1/8 of an inch to the lines on my bench grinder. then used my files to finish out my profiling. then i finally got to the fun part using my new belt grinder. i started on my bevels when i decided i wanted to try a distal taper which turned out fairly well considering my experience level so i got cocky and decided to go for the duel distal taper and it didnt turn out very well i think with some very careful grinding i might be able to make it look a little better

ncfl0l.jpg

os8ke9.jpg

4jxkig.jpg

x2jbi9.jpg

Back