My first order with Kailash, then my second.

I started really getting interested in khukuris about 2 years ago. The basic form, geometry and efficiency of the blades in general really intrigued me. I looked at some of the modern, mass produced offerings and, they just didn't do it for me. I decided, if I'm going to splurge for a traditional khukuri, then I want an authentic, Nepalese khukuri. So I've spent the last two years researching different makers online and what they had to offer. I had almost decided on a Panawal from a different maker, but I kept coming across references to, and YouTube videos of, Kailash Blades. Okay, scrap my previous plan and research what makes Kailash different from other makers. What I found truly impressed me: each and every traditional model is thoroughly designed from the ground up to maximize performance, durability and the user's experience. Then there's the basic company philosophy of not only crafting the best khukuris possible, but also treating their people with dignity, respect, and helping them succeed in life and give their families the best lives possible - that alone earned my support.

So, fast forward through a year or so of comparing different models and deciding what I needed a khukuri for. I'd still gone into this with the intent to order a Panawal, but the more I read and saw, the more I liked the broader bellied, "fish head" type designs. I guess I split the difference, I decided to order an 11" Angkhola Ek Chirra with full tang, satin blade, performance grind, steel hardware (and pins), large forest camo micarta handle and an OD kydex sheath. This will be my woods work knife for light to moderate chopping, trail clearing, and whatever else I come across.

That leads to today: I kept seeing references to the mini khukuris, mostly on Bushcraft USA, and reading how handy and efficient they were. Seems the general consensus is 7" is the sweet spot there, which is also recommended on the Kailash site. With my ideal western style large knife being a 6" blade (I'm 5'-10", 145 lbs - definitely not a big guy), the 7" size sounds perfect as a large belt knife for handling the smaller duties in the woods and during yardwork.
So... they haven't even started on my Angkhola yet and I just ordered a 7" mini. Slightly different configuration than my first order: satin finish, copper hardware, Indian rosewood handle, medium handle length, Performance grind, desert kydex sheath and an additional brown, traditional dap.

I'll try to post pics when they arrive, though I'll need to find a good photo hosting site unless we can upload photos directly. I'm a long time lurker but just recently decided to start posting.
Jack

Hey there Jack! Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far. Would you be okay with us combining the shipments so they arrive at the same time? It will save you a fair chunk on shipping also.
The mini khukuris are very popular in the west and I think act as a great transitional blade between smaller bushcrafty knives that people are used to using and larger khukuris which are bigger and heavier and require different techniques. For example a full sized khukuri will chop very well but it is a bit more difficult to wrangle in terms of push cutting and finer bushcraft work. A mini will not be in the same class as a chopper but it does translate better into a lot of these finertasks, which coupled with the low pricepoint has led them to being pretty popular blades.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Hi Andrew, thanks for the welcome. Honestly, I'm fine with whatever is easier on your end. Shipped together, separately, or a separate order that arrives later on. It's entirely your call. A few years ago I ordered a custom rifle sling for a special rifle I owned. I waited 18 months for that order and was happy to do it. Quality takes time and it's always worth waiting for.
Jack

No worries at all. I think two separate orders is easier for us and will mean you get the fun of unboxing twice instead of once :)

That sounds just fine. I'm already trying to figure out which khukuri I want next...

edit: sorry, our cat decided to go into labor as I was typing this response, before I've had any coffee. It's going to be a wonderfully cute day ;).

Anyway, I'm more than happy to wait my turn in the order que. It should be less disruptive to your work flow and it's fair to customers who placed orders between my two. My old 6" belt knife took some significant blade damage years ago when I slipped and hit a concrete block while cleaning trout. I put that knife through Hell and back but haven't carried it since. Now my large knives consist of an ESEE 4 and an ESEE 5, both good knives but a bit shorter than I'd like. I'm very much looking forward to putting both of these through their paces and learning how to use them most effectively, the mini will most likely see the most carry time.

Thanks for all your help and advice, I hope everyone there at Kailash has a great day.
Jack

Last edited:
Wow! This subforum is actually in dire need of some cat pictures if you've got any to share :)
Hope you have a great week.

Wow! This subforum is actually in dire need of some cat pictures if you've got any to share :)
Hope you have a great week.
I used to use PhotoBucket for hosting pics, I have no idea what to use now... we actually got lucky, she only had two kittens - but they're ADORABLE!

edit: trying imgur for the first time.
Hiding under my nightstand a few hours after having the kittens:

Last edited:
Looks good! Great to see the bevels forged in at such an early stage :)

Looks good! Great to see the bevels forged in at such an early stage :)
Yeah, that surprised me. I just assumed the edge bevel was completely ground in after forging.
I was looking through your "Mega Thread" earlier, that first post shows an Ek Chirra with raw finish. I almost wish I'd ordered mine raw, that khukuri looks amazing. Then again, it's something to think about for my next order. I think I've narrowed down my choices to two models for next time. I'm pretty sure it'll be bigger and a rat tail.

If you're looking for something bigger, rat tail and raw you should check the traditional section! Something new had landed in the lineup...

If you're looking for something bigger, rat tail and raw you should check the traditional section! Something new had landed in the lineup...,
I definitely intend to stay with your traditional designs. I don't see anything completely new since I placed my order, though the overall design of the Falo has changed some. I considered a Pensioner but I think there'd be a lot of overlap with my 11" full tang Ek Chirra. The larger Pensioner might be a more efficient chopper but not enough to outweigh the other models I'm considering. At the moment, I'm debating the Mutiny vs the MK-1. Both are historically significant models so it's hard to choose one over the other, and my preference changes day by day. I've strongly considered a 14" to 16" Sirupate but the Mutiny seems to fill the same role more efficiently. I also considered a Salyani but I think it would end up being mostly a display piece, where the Mutiny or MK-1 would actually see some use in the woods.

Out of curiosity, what's the most historically accurate hardware material for the Mutiny and MK-1? I could see brass being accurate, but making the bolster and end plates out of the same steel as the blades seems like it'd be easier than sourcing a second metal during scarce times as well.

Last edited:
In terms of hardware all mk1s had steel bolsters and rosewood handles as far as I know. The specific example of the mutiny era blade ours is based off uses steel hardware with a horn handle but there may have been brass on others in that period. The steel is not the same as the blade steel I don't think- in historical examples as they seem to corrode differently.
I think the jump from 11' full tang to 13" rat tail will make for a significantly more powerful chopper without even going up to a "choppier pattern". The mk1 will be much choppier and also cut very efficiently. The mutiny is a lot lighter and faster, clears brush nicely and still packs a whallop but not in the same league as the mk1.
The mutiny has higher performance cutting charactertics and a more exciting martial feel in hand with lower weight. The sirupate is a beefier blade with tougher geometry and better stiffness. It compensates for the worse penetration through added weight and is a bit rowdier and rough and tumble. It's better suited to use with a full tang than the mutiny which is for many people the deciding factor.
Take care,

I woke up this morning with another update from Mr. Thapa: grinding is complete on my Ek Chirra and it's in queue for oil quenching. These guys are FAST!

I'm curious if the different reflection in tip section is where the chirra ends. I'm hoping when it arrives I'll be able to get some pics that clearly show the chirra. It seems much more clear in the Dui and Tin Chirra models on the Kailash site:

I forgot to mention, I emailed Mr. Thapa after the first update to ask which blacksmith was making my khukuri, he said it's being made by Mahesh BishwaKarma. It's nice to know who to thank, and being able to read a little of his bio on the "Us" tab at Kailash really adds another dimension to what I'm sure will be an outstanding khukuri.

Last edited:
In terms of hardware all mk1s had steel bolsters and rosewood handles as far as I know. The specific example of the mutiny era blade ours is based off uses steel hardware with a horn handle but there may have been brass on others in that period. The steel is not the same as the blade steel I don't think- in historical examples as they seem to corrode differently.
I think the jump from 11' full tang to 13" rat tail will make for a significantly more powerful chopper without even going up to a "choppier pattern". The mk1 will be much choppier and also cut very efficiently. The mutiny is a lot lighter and faster, clears brush nicely and still packs a whallop but not in the same league as the mk1.
The mutiny has higher performance cutting charactertics and a more exciting martial feel in hand with lower weight. The sirupate is a beefier blade with tougher geometry and better stiffness. It compensates for the worse penetration through added weight and is a bit rowdier and rough and tumble. It's better suited to use with a full tang than the mutiny which is for many people the deciding factor.
Take care,
What an outstanding response, thank you! Unfortunately, you've made the decision of what to order next a little more complicated LOL. As much as I want a Sirupate, that might wait for order number 4. I'm leaning toward one of the more curved styles for the next order, a lot of that has to due with the handle shape. I'm really curious how that will feel in comparison to the straighter Ek Chirra. I'm also really drawn to the less angular, more curved spine. I KNOW I'll order an MK-1 eventually, it's just a question of if I want that next or something lighter and faster, like a fighting style or "martial" application... which brings me back to the Salyani. This would be a whole lot simpler if I just sent you a kidney and you sent me one of everything on your traditional list;). Your advice really is outstanding though. Coming into this as a newbie, your understanding of the finer details of different models and how they affect performance and feel is invaluable.
Thank you,
Jack

Hahaha thanks for the kind words and kidney offer!
I think if you're in the situation where you know you want a lighter, faster more martial blade and also want to try a beefier chopper then there's no one blade that will do both jobs. It's just a question of which one to get first. I feel like the salyani is a bigger change from your 11" full tang ek chirra, but maybe experience with a 13" mk1 will help inform a choice between mutiny and salyani later on?

Back