My first sheath! WIP (photo heavy)

You did well on your first sheath, my friend! In looking at your WIP pictures, I could not help but notice that the quality of your leather was working hard against you. The flesh side (back side) of that particular leather is plenty rough and I suspect very loose and/or spongy and the fact that you turned out such a fine looking sheath is testament to your ability. Should you decide to start stamping to embellish your sheaths, that type leather will stretch like mad unless you install a full lining, and even then could cause you some frustration.

Keep up the good work. You are off to a great start!

Paul

Paul,
what type of leather do you recogmend?
ST~

ST, rather than recommend, let me tell you what I use and you can draw your own conclusions.

I started out many years ago with Hermann Oak and for the last four years I have been using Wickett and Craig exclusively. At the time I changed I liked the W&C overall quality and character much better than the Hermann Oak at that time. Their quality may have risen since I went to W&C....I don't know.

I buy the utility skirting sides in 8/10 and they split it free of charge to 7/8 and 2/3 which are the two weights I use the most. In addition they offer it in tannery drum dyed colors of russet, chestnut, brown and black so I have not had to dye leather in four years (except for the edges). The quality has been very consistent and I do not have any "ragged" backs to deal with. I do square up the side by taking off the bellies upon arrival and use those for non critical projects or just give them away. I don't want any belly leather in a sheath with my name on it.

As long as I'm satisfied W&C is my leather source.

Paul

Thank you Paul..

I will send you a PM later this week I have some questions that maybe you can hwlp me with...
Peace
ST~

Paul,

What Wickett and Craig color is the brown that makes up the majority of your avatar?

Paul,

What Wickett and Craig color is the brown that makes up the majority of your avatar?

Chestnut. It has kind of a rosy red tint to it. The brown is just plain brown, but I use a lot of both. I use neatsfoot oil in the finish process on the chestnut, but no oil on the brown as it turns too dark.

Paul

You did well on your first sheath, my friend! In looking at your WIP pictures, I could not help but notice that the quality of your leather was working hard against you. The flesh side (back side) of that particular leather is plenty rough and I suspect very loose and/or spongy and the fact that you turned out such a fine looking sheath is testament to your ability. Should you decide to start stamping to embellish your sheaths, that type leather will stretch like mad unless you install a full lining, and even then could cause you some frustration.

Keep up the good work. You are off to a great start!

Paul

My friend, Paul, speaks for me!! Your leather looks like belly. If you are only going to make a few sheaths, I would recommend double or single shoulders. If you are going to make more than a few I would go for a back. A little more pricey but WORTH the difference. Good job!! ---Sandy---

Wow! First of all, thanks to my uncle for posting here. I'm glad you like it!

And thanks to Paul Long for the kind words. You're the best there is at this, and it's super encouraging to hear from you.

The leather i have was working pretty hard against me, and it still is... I bought a "craftsman oak" double shoulder at Tandy in their january sales flyer. That may be my problem. I guess I just don't know any different...lol :p

Last edited:
Back