Photos My Knives have OUTGROWN my tiny kitchen !

First of all may I congratulate you all for sharing your wisdom, knowledge and gorgeous pictures of mainly rare handmade Japanese artisan knives and outside knives in exotic steels - they are all truly amazing - well done to you all !

To me, until fairly recently a knife was just a tool and I collected a variety of shapes and sizes - mostly budget Chinese ones.
I have one decent knife. an English bespoke caidao in RWL-34 that a collector offered me thousands for but I am saving it for my son when I die.

I am afraid all the sharpies are in bed asleep - because it`s late !

Nope - it would have taken me all night to get them out, arrange them, light them and photograph them and put them all safely back in bed.
Most of these knives are too cheap and ugly to get out of bed.

So to peruse...
CHOPPERS_AND_SHARPENERS.jpg

Here`s a few choppers with a triple cut Sheffield steel and a diamond sharpening rod on the left.
The bottom right one is a Kiwi caidao - Chinese Chef`s knife and the middle one with the 0.4mm - 1/64th of an inch thick scalloped blade is a vintage 1970`s Appalachian bow fiddle knife for cutting any bread effortlessly with hardly any crumbs.
KNIFE_BOXES_AND_SCISSOR_BUNCHES_1.jpg

Here`s a couple of bespoke oak knife boxes and bunches of scissors.
The tall black-handled knife is a 15" commercial cheese cutter that is about two foot long and the two big scissors at the back are 20 inches 3lb beasts with 1cm - over 1/3rd of an inch thick blades.
2_BUNCHES_OF_KNIVES.jpg

Here`s two bunches of knives next to a 4" coffee mug.
3_BUNCHES_OF_KNIVES.jpg

This is three bunches of knives
For scale the two dark wooden handle knives with 3 rivets each are 19 inches long in total.
The white handled one at the front is 15 inches long but looks tiny next to the 22" blade black handle Dick kebab knife on the right and the 19.5 inch blade Sabatier carbon with a light wood handle and 3 rivets on the left.

You have too many knives roadduck..lol
You must do Chinese cuisine to own so many caidaos?

You have too many knives roadduck..lol
You must do Chinese cuisine to own so many caidaos?
Oh my goodness KenHash ; you`re a total mind-reader mate.
I lived in Hong Kong and Macau, China for fifteen years in the nineties flogging high-end Hi-Fi`s and forging Asian knives at weekend from white and blue Hitachi billets and pure iron sand - old-style carbons and roughly a hundred stainless ones since 1979 in a forge in Wetherby, Yorkshire and Blackburn, NW England.
I used a caidao for everything ; and I mean everything ; don`t need anything else.
Here`s my posh Savernake bespoke veggie cleaver and a few others hehe.
CADY-9.jpg

CHUN-CHOPPER-2.jpg

CHUN-CHOPPER-1.jpg

BUDGET_ON_A_KNIFEDGE.jpg

INCLINOMETER.jpg

TRISTAR_AND_SAVERNAKE_CADAO-01.jpg

BUDGET_ON_A_KNIFEDGE_2.jpg

MERCER_CLEAVER.jpg

CHRISTMAS-KNIVES-01.jpg

CARBON_AND_STAINLESS_CAIDAOS.jpg

CHINESE_STAINLESS_CHOPPERS.jpg

CHOPPERS.jpg

CADY-5.jpg

CADY-1.jpg

I love big rectangle things like gaidao heavy bone cleavers as well haha.

Last edited:
Like I said..too many knives....lol
I like that Motokyuuichi from Shimabara.

The kurouchi Motokyuuichi was a total bargain from chefsknivesjapan - it was about $50 equivalent w/o shipping & tax.Their house knives are excellent and they do bespoke from $300 with a wait obviously.
That top knife is an Eden kanso santoku in kurouchi aogami blue #2 - that is a totally handmade knife for about $150 from knivesandtools in Holland - it gets rave reviews from chefs.
They also do an Eden Kanso SG2 - HRC 64 and they annihilate factory knives like Shun`s and Miyabi`s - they`re in a different league. .There is a 2-3 month wait for the Japanese blacksmith - but it`s worth it - they are always sold out.
There`s a few good bladesmiths near me - like Didsbury Forge and the local restaurants love them - less than £200 for a bespoke Asian style knife in a good semi-stainless or pm monosteel - bargain.

I like allsorts of knives -like these - I must be a sharpoholic or something hehe
2-SANTOKU-2.jpg

WALNUT-BOARD.jpg

Motokyuichi-Shirogami-White-2-Kurouchi-Gyuto-Chef-Knife-210mm.jpg

PLYS_CLEAVER.jpg

TOJIRO-FROZEN-1.jpg

CERAMIC-AND-YANAGIBA.jpg

SERRATED_AND_BUDGET_KNIVES.jpg

AMBER_KNIFE.jpg

BREAD_KNIVES.jpg

4_GLOBAL_KNIVES.jpg

TEFAL_EVERSHARP_2.jpg

HENCKELS_4_INCH_PARING_-_2.jpg

DICK_KEBAB_-_SABATIER_CARBON_2.jpg

SAVERNAKE_DNA_-_OPINEL_CARBON.jpg

SABATIER_KNIVES.jpg
Really great pictures--and interesting mix. I didn't start with a Chinese cleaver until a few years ago--a Shibazi f/208-2--but it almost instantly showed me why my Chinese friends didn't use anything else. Like me, you've brought together several world cultures with your collections.

Don't stop. This is a real adventure!

CHEAP_SANTOKU_AND_KIRITSUKE_KNIVES.jpg

CHEAP_CHINESE_SCISSORS.jpg

JUMCSONG_5.5_Inch_Utility.jpg

67-ply_Forged_Damascus.jpg

Thanks W WanderlustWoodland and D Dr. Rayeye - I have miles too many bloomin knives and I am doing my best for the Chinese economy getting loads of budget sharpies from Aliexpress, Alibaba, DHgate and Banggood and my friends in Chinatown etc - I like a bit of variety to my choppers and slicers and my gf collects Japanese and Asian style knives and scissors.
All the 7 knives in the top picture were less than 60 bucks - the second one up (the santoku) was only $18 and it`s a procook in X30 and the third one up (the kiritsuke) with the hammered blade and dark wood handle was only $5 - total bargain haha !
I have two Shibazi stainless caidao`s too and they are bloody brilliant - haha - millions of chefs use `em.
It is sharpies from everywhere - I`ve traveled all over since the late sixties.
I`ve just got some Chinese ceramic scissors and two santoku / scissor things - which are great and a few budget ones are on their way from the Far East - they are gonna be so crammed in their little boxes in my teeny-weeny kitch - haha !

Last edited:
Lots of great pictures of knives--what about knife sharpening? I just got a new rolling sharpener that seems to be a home cooking sensation. Many versions on AliExpress--trying to see how much it fits with my pother sharpening tools.

DIAMOND_WHETSTONES.jpg

TORMEK_T-1_KNIFE_SHARPENER.jpg

Aw thanks D Dr. Rayeye - bless you mate - I collect bloody allsorts of things even though I grew out of OCD when I was twelve - those rolling sharpeners are supposed to be brilliant and getting a Chinese copy is a great idea - there wont be much difference in performance between the original model and you`ll save a fortune; not tried one yet - a friend might have one I could try !
I just use a little basic budget 6" x 2" diamond plate next to my sink which has a magnetic holder - so I can swap sharpening grits in two ticks.
I don`t use my sharpening steel and diamond rods very often - mostly use the bottom of a mug or plate.
I normally use a #400 or a #600 synthetic stone because most of my knives are cheap c**p and I don`t need anything finer but I have a rough #140 Atoma which is brilliant - must get the smoother ones one day.
Lately I`ve been using this tiny Tormek T-1 bench grinder diamond knife sharpener which is brilliant for my 9" x 12" kitch which has no bench space anywhere.

I can use it with or without the guide on - it does most knives in one or two minutes with the #600 wheel and built-in rubber honing wheel but frankly I can`t be bothered to get it out, set it up and plug it in - it`s more convenient just to touch up my cutlery by hand in a few strokes.

That's some pretty heavy political nonsense there Roaduck. China is not all of "Asia". And we all know where Russia is headed. Democratic systems are what alls us to post and share opinions freely without fear of censorship pr persecution. It's one thing to share your knives with everyone. But it's another to be here as a cheerleader for the CCP.

Last edited:
DIAMOND_WHETSTONES.jpg

TORMEK_T-1_KNIFE_SHARPENER.jpg

Aw thanks D Dr. Rayeye - bless you mate - I collect bloody allsorts of things even though I grew out of OCD when I was twelve - those rolling sharpeners are supposed to be brilliant and getting a Chinese copy is a great idea - there wont be much difference in performance between the original model and you`ll save a fortune; not tried one yet - a friend might have one I could try !
I just use a little basic budget 6" x 2" diamond plate next to my sink which has a magnetic holder - so I can swap sharpening grits in two ticks.
I don`t use my sharpening steel and diamond rods very often - mostly use the bottom of a mug or plate.
I normally use a #400 or a #600 synthetic stone because most of my knives are cheap c**p and I don`t need anything finer but I have a rough #140 Atoma which is brilliant - must get the smoother ones one day.
Lately I`ve been using this tiny Tormek T-1 bench grinder diamond knife sharpener which is brilliant for my 9" x 12" kitch which has no bench space anywhere.

I can use it with or without the guide on - it does most knives in one or two minutes with the #600 wheel and built-in rubber honing wheel but frankly I can`t be bothered to get it out, set it up and plug it in - it`s more convenient just to touch up my cutlery by hand in a few strokes.
Here's the roller sharpener I purchased from AMAZON:

There are similar versions to this priced from $25 to over $200. What got me interested was a friend who met the owner of the Horl2 at a Frankfort Germany show, ready to dismss. He was so impressed, he's decided to buy one and do some tests.

I've already verified that it works to easily achieve "home cook" sharpness. I'm now exposing it to more serious challenges.

I do already have a full range of maintenance tools--pullthroughs, steels, ceramic honing, diamond stones (400 and 1000), loaded strop, and raw leather strop. I've resisted water stones.

I do already have a full range of maintenance tools--pullthroughs, steels, ceramic honing, diamond stones (400 and 1000), loaded strop, and raw leather strop. I've resisted water stones.
We all have different experiences and our prefered methods. I have done all those at one time or another, plus Worksharp and Paper Wheels on a 6 in bench grinder, But I've settled on all waterstones from a low of 250 up to a high of 12000. I do use my diamonds on high vanadium carbide powder steels though. Whatever works for each person.

Here's the roller sharpener I purchased from AMAZON:

There are similar versions to this priced from $25 to over $200. What got me interested was a friend who met the owner of the Horl2 at a Frankfort Germany show, ready to dismss. He was so impressed, he's decided to buy one and do some tests.

I've already verified that it works to easily achieve "home cook" sharpness. I'm now exposing it to more serious challenges.

That is all you need Dr. Rayeye - the diamond stones alone are great and the AldiPro Horl2 clone looks great - constant angle - no mess - no fuss - job`s a good `un.
I only use diamonds dry because they are quick, relatively clean and tidy and results are more than passable.

I have a Catrahone diamond electric, a fixed angle rig and some pull-throughs but I don`t use them anymore.
KIRITSUKE.jpg

RUIXIN-PRO-009-SHARPENING-RIG-01.jpg

SHARPENERS.jpg

I mastered field sharpening on rocks etc in the early seventies so using a diamond file outside or whetstones/diamond plates inside is the height of luxury for me.

Obviously natural whetstones are the best - the Jnats and Arkansas haha - bit messy yeah - takes time yeah - but the results are unsurpassed - all you need is a sink bridge or work area that can handle the slurry and fine swarf.

Last edited:
Since my usage level is low, the hardness is quite high, and edge retention is excellent on most of my kitchen knives, day to day maintenance and polishing has been with loaded and raw leather strops. What I am exploring, is to use a roller disc whetstone with 3000 grit and a ceramic 6000 disc on each side, followed by a raw leather strop for final polishing as a time saver.

I cook for the homeless and need to chop and prepare 100 kg of produce a weekend so my knives go blunt faster than in a domestic kitch but all I need for my $10 cheap carbon caidao is the bottom of a plate or mug and I`m good to go.
After living in China for fifteen years - I learned to use a Chinese chef`s knife - for everything -
such as skinning a 200 lb shark on the beach or making flowers and edible decorations out of fruit and veg.

I've had friends all my life who told me, bu I only found out for myself a year ago--with my Shibazi f/208-2. I quickly saw what I could do. For $33, I had a tool which made my other kitchen knives unnecessary. Of course, being a Westerner, that's not how I used it, but it made me rethink everything I did with kitchen prep work.

The Shibazi F-208-2 is a classic Dr. Rayeye and is used by chefs Worldwide.
I have two Shibazi all stainless thin cleavers and they are workhorses meant to process hundreds of lbs of produce all day - every day plus they can go in a knife steriliser cabinet or commercial dishwasher no problem.Of course hand washing is preferable.
The sales are in the tens of millions in Indonesia alone.

Last edited:
Back