My latest piece of gear (a pictorial)...

Troy H

I'm always like this.
What is it? Well...

I found myself hungry and with a few hours to kill. I thought I'd go to one of my favorite restaurants. ;)

A fifteen minute drive and another fifteen minute walk through treacherous terrain...

20110421Wind101.jpg

...and I found my spot. Okay, well, perfect as it is...I passed this spot up...

20110421Wind102.jpg

I needed a view today.

20110421Wind103.jpg

It feels a little intimidating walking out there at first.

20110421Wind103a.jpg

Perfect spot for some lunch, and to try out my newest piece of gear.

20110421Wind104.jpg

I don't recall who posted it, but I learned this here. THANK YOU. (and it came with snacks!)

20110421Wind105.jpg

The Pirouette lid fits the GSI cup perfectly.

20110421Wind106.jpg

Dog Mountain can be seen to the east.

20110421Wind107.jpg

Here you can see the Columbia River and Oregon on the other side of it.

20110421Wind108.jpg

After a couple hours, I returned to the parking lot. Still just me.

20110421Wind109.jpg

There was one more new piece of gear on the trip. A modified Groove Master. Wicked little devil.

20110421Wind111.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Beautiful place and very cool about the choco-sticks lid. Now, I'm going to have to get me some of that calorie goodness. That knife has a lot of character. It reminds me quite a bit of Gene's entry into the bushcraft knife challenge. Thanks for posting your hike.

Beautiful place and very cool about the choco-sticks lid. Now, I'm going to have to get me some of that calorie goodness. That knife has a lot of character. It reminds me quite a bit of Gene's entry into the bushcraft knife challenge. Thanks for posting your hike.

This knife was modified (mostly the handle) and used by its previous owner as a household beater - and it shows! I love this knife. And I definitely see the resemblance to Gene's. :)

nice looking area :) what bottle container do you have pic'd here?

Thanks for the comment. I made the bottle sack after seeing River-8's. It only took me 5 tries to get something that I was content with (I'm still bitter about that). :)

BottleSack501a.jpg

BottleSack502a.jpg

The lid nests perfectly in the bottom.

20110421Wind106a.jpg

Great work on the bottle carrier, that came out great. I figured it was a Maxpedition or something! :thumbup:

Thanks, guys! I think River-8's design on this is fantastic, very well thought out. :)

First thing I thought, about the knife. They looks very similar.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice pics. I just drove through there this week. My G/F and I rented a cabin in Gifford Pinchot. Neat area. Too bad it's in Warshington. :D

Nice shots brother. Wished I lived somewhere like that. Here in central Illinois, it's all flat farmland.

Nice shots brother. Wished I lived somewhere like that. Here in central Illinois, it's all flat farmland.

I understand completely. I moved here from Nebraska. I used to have to drive 3 hours just to find someplace to camp in a tent. And it cost $20 in camp fees to do it.

To guys in Illinois - I used to live in Chicago. There are places if you really really look hard. One place I can give a full recommendation to is Devil's Lake Wisconsin. Totally worth a trip up there.

To the OP -
Thats a really cool setup. Could you provide a link to the plans you've used to come up with your design. I really respect DIY gear. Thanks for the photos. You have something to be proud of.

What a beeeuuuuteeeefulll part of this country. I have family that live near Hood River and the visits thier are wonderful.
Thanks for sharing

The ledge where you had your lunch has an amazing view. But is that moss i notice on the rock? Must be treacherous to walk on, if it has rained recently. Be careful!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

averageiowaguy, here's a link where river-8 shows off his design. I don't have any drawings or plans beyond his pictures. Thanks for the compliments. It really is satisfying once you have made a usable piece of gear - getting it done is pretty frustrating though. :)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/763613-Nalgene-pants

propthepolecat, as I reached the spot we had a rainstorm go through. It only lasted about 10 minutes and the moss remained wet while I was there. The rock dried pretty quickly. I pretty much stuck to the rockier path on the lookout, not wanting to slip on the moss. :D

Back