My Leatherman tool ownership experience

I am a tool junky. I enjoy having a tool with me around house, in workplace and just simply anywhere. I enjoy the sense of being able to pull out a tool to mend or improvise at any time. So the type and quality of the tool I carry means a lot to me.

First tool I got from Leatherman is the original Wave. The quality and tool-accessing design impressed me a great deal. Their pliers (and other tools) are always precision-made without any (or with minimum) play at hinge. I found one-hand opening capability indispensable. The blade lockup gives confidence. Here are all the leatherman tools I own:
Wave (original)
Juice Pro
Micra
Surge
New Wave

I also own a few other brands but I eventually stick with Leatherman for simple reasons: sturdy tools, precision-made pliers, good functional and convenience design.

My most recent purchase is the new Wave after EDCing Surge for 2 months. Surge is an excellent tool but it is just too heavy for carrying it every day. It is also a bit of too big for my work environment. I have been EDCing the original Wave before I got Surge. Is it worthwhile to upgrade from the original Wave to new Wave? My answer is a definite yes for following reasons (by the way, Surge shares some of the following traits):

(1) The blades lockup mechanism is much improved. Once the blade is deployed, the spine of the blade rests on a newly added ridge (part of the frame). The original Wave relies on a protruding dot (against the frame) for this purpose. The new design is definitely more sturdy, reliable and rational. I am surprised that this is not mentioned by any reviews.

(2) the ridges are added to the hinge end of the pliers which interact with the “track” piece on the frame when the pliers are deployed and closed. This design smoothes the actions and helps to keep the rigidity after the tool is in closed position.

(3) the blades were made wider (even a bit longer) which makes it stronger. It also helps the one-handed opening. Some care is required for the original Wave (when opening/closing blades) because the narrower blade.

(3) the pliers are stronger.

(4) the locking mechanism for the small implements is easy to use and very secure.

(5) the thickness of the tool is reduced by about 2mm. Not much of change but is still much welcomed. It kept almost the same weight as the original.

(6) the bit drivers have drawn controversials. But I consider it a worthwhile upgrade. Especially I managed to store a few bits on the elastic side of the sheath. This makes this tool much more versatile.

(7) despite the initial impression that the scissors were shortchanged, after some use I found them well designed and cut just as well if not better than the ones on the orginal Wave.

-----------------------------
Any downside of owning a Leatherman? Well, I sent my Waves and Surge back to Leatherman for adjustment of hinge tensions. I like the main blades to be relatively easy to open with rest of the tools stay relatively tight. I don’t want to void the warranty by doing it myself. I found that once the tension is adjusted, it stay the same over time. Leatherman does excellent work on servicing the tools. The only downside factor is the waiting. I just had to EDC a different tool during waiting.

new_pal said:
(1) The blades lockup mechanism is much improved. Once the blade is deployed, the spine of the blade rests on a newly added ridge (part of the frame). The original Wave relies on a protruding dot (against the frame) for this purpose. The new design is definitely more sturdy, reliable and rational. I am surprised that this is not mentioned by any reviews.
Huh... as many times as I've compared my old Wave and New Wave, I never noticed that either! You're right tho, the new blade stop is a lot stronger than the old... although I wonder if anyone actually managed to shear off that stop pin on the old Wave?

Gryffin said:
...although I wonder if anyone actually managed to shear off that stop pin on the old Wave?
I must admit that the old wave is plenty strong there as well. Just for the sake of discussion, even though the stop pin can never be sheared off, any excessive worn on one side might let blake slip/pass the side of frame because steel (of blade and frame) is still flexible when enough pressure is applied. I hasten to add that the possibility is remote...

Back