My little advise before you go to "high end folder" world

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to knives, only about 2 months now. I started my journey with a small Sebenza 21, the most basic version. And I strongly recommend everyone that interested in high-end folders (frame lock), get yourself a Sebanza first. Here is how I look at it but it's my opinion and I could be totally wrong.

Sebanza is a knife that covers all the basic essential feathers for a high-end frame lock, nothing more and nothing less, in the best way. When you look at the high-end folder market now, basically you are looking at a Ti frame lock with a premium blade steel (s30v s35vn s90v m390....) combined with all different designs (flipper, inlays, shape). And to me that a transformation of a most basic version Sebenza. A SOLID frame lock, no blade play whatsoever and a high-performance blade steel with perfect customer service. It's a "ruler" for me by hand to measure all the other high-end frame lock knives. It worth every penny you spend on it and last you a lifetime. So when I look at a high-end folder with D2 blade steel (and possible blade play when brand new) and a 600 price tag, I know it's a little bit over priced and not what I wanted.
Admittedly, a basic Sebenza has no frame lock insert, no ball-bearing system, or crazy inlay, but it works just fine after all these years by so many people.
I could go on and on but I think I covered my points. Again I could be wrong, and I am willing to correct myself.
Let me know what you think about it. Thanks for your time and my apology for my poor English, it's not my first language.

The Sebenza is a classic with good reason. A lot of people can't fork out that type of cash though. I see nothing wrong with going to a ZT or higher end Spyderco. I don't think the Slysz Bowie is too far behind a Sebenza IMO, but when it comes my time to step up above my PM2 it may be heavily swayed by whatever deals present themselves on the Exchange! A fella here sold a small Sebenza for under 300 not that long ago, and had I been able to I would have pounced all over it :)

I like all of this so far...you've stated some good points. And the fella that likes the Slysz Bowie is also right on target. A great knife. A great company. And, I've probably owned twenty Spydercos for every one knife of another brand. No regrets.
One caveat for the Sebbie. Make darned sure of your hand size before you jump.
I can only handle a LARGE due to hand-size. The closed length of a hair under 4" is not for me, and I've had quite a number of each size.
And check out what scale design? Plain slabs? exotic wood inlays? ? digital designs? Inlaid semi-precious stones? Damascus blade?
I cannot say that the Sebbie is the best "starter" knife, but I can say that it is the "best" knife for many of us out here.
Of course, we may have gone thru several hundred folders before we got here. But it's a fun trip, and it never has to end. Just be careful not to over-extend your wallet and...Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
I don't think that starting with a Sebenza will work out well, most beginners won't fully appreciate the F&F and the rest the knife is relatively boring for the cost. I'd suggest a trip through Spyderco's repertoire first and then move up from there, I think a feel for the lower end of the high-end folding market will really give a baseline so that you know what you're getting when you upgrade. CRK is in the realm where more money doesn't equal better materials, but rather better F&F, and without a baseline for average F&F the CRK just won't stand out.

I'm not in the market, but if I was a basic sebenza would be where I looked first. They appear to me to be a simple no nonsense cutting tool, while most others have non functional elements of design added to them which bring the cost up.
Basic utilitarian blade shape + lock + simple ergonomic handle + pocket clip = a knife.

I don't think that starting with a Sebenza will work out well, most beginners won't fully appreciate the F&F and the rest the knife is relatively boring for the cost. I'd suggest a trip through Spyderco's repertoire first and then move up from there, I think a feel for the lower end of the high-end folding market will really give a baseline so that you know what you're getting when you upgrade. CRK is in the realm where more money doesn't equal better materials, but rather better F&F, and without a baseline for average F&F the CRK just won't stand out.
I agree. At any day of the week, I can pull my Sebenza out and look at as close as I can and find nothing wrong with F&F. But it kinda block my way to so many other knives I have not tried. Medford and Emerson are good examples. When I look at a 600 price tag with D2, I lost my interests. I have nothing against D2 btw, just the price tag is not right to me... Emersons are just relatively poor at F&F compared to CRK. Sebenza set a bar for me when I make any further purchases. It's bad in a good way, or good in a bad way.

I like all of this so far...you've stated some good points. And the fella that likes the Slysz Bowie is also right on target. A great knife. A great company. And, I've probably owned twenty Spydercos for every one knife of another brand. No regrets.
One caveat for the Sebbie. Make darned sure of your hand size before you jump.
I can only handle a LARGE due to hand-size. The closed length of a hair under 4" is not for me, and I've had quite a number of each size.
And check out what scale design? Plain slabs? exotic wood inlays? ? digital designs? Inlaid semi-precious stones? Damascus blade?
I cannot say that the Sebbie is the best "starter" knife, but I can say that it is the "best" knife for many of us out here.
Of course, we may have gone thru several hundred folders before we got here. But it's a fun trip, and it never has to end. Just be careful not to over-extend your wallet and...Enjoy the ride!
I love your reply...you are right!

If there is one thing I've learned after so many years of collecting/using/maintaining/nit picking high end knives it's this: It doesn't matter what knife you think is your favorite, or which one ticks all your boxes, you will buy, sell and hunt forever searching for that "the one" knife but you'll most likely never find it. What you will achieve is weeding out the knives that are NOT for you, and that my friends is a good thing. You will then be left with a good batch of knives that you are very happy with and you will rotate them. Think about it, if it was normal in culture to have 20 beautiful wives, would you only hang out with one of them, or 2 of them? I'm pretty sure you'd rotate. Some days i find myself carrying 3 or 4 of the dam things because i've refined my collection down so much im left with only knives i love. This is the curse and reality of the knife hobby, so don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride.

I just sold my sebenza 21 about 2 weeks ago, I agree with everything said, but I just didn't carry it that much anymore, I like knives with 3 3/4+ blades,and larger handles, so I finally made the decision to let it go to someone who would carry it more . The only good thing is if I ever want another , theres no problem getting one. Still have my early Umnumzaan, since its slightly larger and thicker, I figured it would fit the bill for me better than the sebenza.....

If there is one thing I've learned after so many years of collecting/using/maintaining/nit picking high end knives it's this: It doesn't matter what knife you think is your favorite, or which one ticks all your boxes, you will buy, sell and hunt forever searching for that "the one" knife but you'll most likely never find it. What you will achieve is weeding out the knives that are NOT for you, and that my friends is a good thing. You will then be left with a good batch of knives that you are very happy with and you will rotate them. Think about it, if it was normal in culture to have 20 beautiful wives, would you only hang out with one of them, or 2 of them? I'm pretty sure you'd rotate. Some days i find myself carrying 3 or 4 of the dam things because i've refined my collection down so much im left with only knives i love. This is the curse and reality of the knife hobby, so don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride.
that's true dude, now tell me more about the wives lol

Starting out with a Sebenza? Nope, not for me.

Using and owning a CRK should not be a beginners stepping stone. Why cast pearls before swine, so to speak? Not that beginners are pigs, or anything but, many times they don't know, what they don't know. The F&F would not be noticed by a noob. So why waste the materials and workmanship of a Sebenza on a group of people that will collectively never notice it?

Meh, I don't like thumb studs and I don't like frame locks or liner locks. Sebenzas don't do it for me and never will.

IMO it is better to get some experience with other knives before going for a sebenza/inkosi.
They may be the entry point to high end folder, but they need an entry point themselves :)

I think Spyderco/ZT and for some models Benchmade are better entry points for real beginners.

As a kid I have been used to carry a small backlock. I guess it was a cheap copy of a buck design.
Then at 8-9 I got my first swiss army knife.
That was my experience with knives before I got a ZT0350.
It was my entry to "american made" knives.
I then looked into Spyderco/BM/ZT to end up with a small Insingo.
Since that time I am reducing my collection and took 3 other CR: small and large 21 and Inkosi.

Lot of the knives I had are now to be sold, but they have helped me to understand and appreciate my CRKs

To the OP your English is just fine and you articulate your points well, however most of us have traveled a long journey prior to getting to say a sebenza quality knife. When I started collecting and using knives in the Boy Scouts over fifty years ago a frame lock knife did not exist. I don't think one can appreciate the craftsmanship of a Sebbie until you experienced other less expensive knives first.

I remember my first car was what I could afford and by today's standards it was a,beater it took me awhile to understand quality and performance and better income before I could purchase what I drive today. I think knives are the same way, it's a progression, sort of crawl before you walk.

You box yourself into this high end mid-tech knife when there are very good quality knives being made for half the cost of a Sebbie. BTW I have and own several, personally I do not like the thumb stud which is only a step up from a nail nick and it detracts IMHO from the clean lines of the blade.

The average person certainly doesn't appreciate why a knife costs hundreds of dollars. So, just starting out in the hobby they aren't going to go for the 400 dollar and up knives. I had to learn for myself why a knife costing so much is worth it. I did so by buying and using all sorts of cheaper knives. It was a natural progression just like all of my hobbies and looking back it was enriching. Glad I did it exactly as I did, because I feel I learned much more that way.

I like flippers on bearings had a couple sebenza's and sold them as the small was to small and the large to big. There great knifes just not for me. Not sure its a great starter knife you need to find what you really like and then go in that direction.

Everyone interested in mid tech knives should get a small Plain Jane 21 Sebenza to start, it epitomizes what a quality production folder is.

I never said anyone should make a Sebenza their first knife. Now if you're looking into buyin' mid tech a Sebenza should be the first option. It took me 25 years before I traded my way up to a small plain Jane 21 and if I had to do it over I'd have gotten one a lot sooner and I'll never be without one again.

Back