My "new" Boy Scout hatchet!

I picked this one up today at an antique co-op shop. Bridgeport Boy Scout hatchet. So, what now? I get a file and reprofile it? Looks like I just bought myself a new project! :)

PIC-1699.jpg

PIC-1701.jpg

PIC-1702.jpg

PIC-1703.jpg

Hey, that's pretty cool.:thumbup:

Congrats on the find.

I would just lay out the old mouse pad and sand paper and start with 220 wet/dry and work my way up.

Thanks for sharing

great find are you going to use it ? and i would reprofile it and ude the hell out of it

Looks like a decent little project you have there. Nice little pick up.

Thanks guys. And yes, I'm most definately going to use it! It would be a shame not to!

That looks awesome. Have someone sharpen it up and made rehandle it

The handle is actually not too bad. I might give it some linseed oil, but that's it.

BSA Item No. 1424. Made 1948-1960. The earlier ones were painted black. Later ones were painted green.

John That is very cool. Are you going to bring that to the WNY gathering next weekend? That would be a great place to try it out. Doug

Sounds like a plan, Doug! It'll be cool to meet everyone in person, maybe try out my primitive fishing rig.

Hi, it appears I have the exact same hatchet. My hatchet has U.S PAT 1.830.663 MADE IN USA written on the right side of it. the has BRIDGEPORT HDWE MFG CORP. BRIDGEPORT CONN USA on it. So my question is if you knew what year it was from. i couldnt find much about it on the internet. thank you very much.

Mine is painted red and has a rubber handle where the wood is. Head and handle shaft identical to the one pictured. Purchased new in 1959. Still with my basement tools, I primarily use it now for yard work, chopping up tree stumps.

Wish i could find some replacement scales for mine. I have several i am restoring. Bought a band saw to cut out scales but cant figure how replicate that groove to seat it in the steel handle.

Wish i could find some replacement scales for mine. I have several i am restoring. Bought a band saw to cut out scales but cant figure how replicate that groove to seat it in the steel handle.

You could dab some ink on the metal and put a paper on it, giving you a template.

Other method, put a pice of paper on the metal handle and trace it with a pencil. Cut out your template, transfer to wood and carve it with carving tools.

Back