My new favorite hobby...

...Ok, maybe my second favorite. ;) I wouldn't have this new one if not for the first, knives!

After looking at all the cool pics on this forum and getting my new camera I thought I'd start a new thread and share my new found love, knive photography. Seeing some How Too's' and photo's posted buy others really inspired me. So here is some of what I did and learned over the past week.

First up is my one and only 'hawk

Thanks Vassili!

Here's a few of the Loveless "City Knife" and a Tissot Seastar 660

Wow nice photography. I love those grinds on the second knife! Very unique.

Nice photography on all :thumbup: I especially like the composition on the M4 Fighter. It's not always easy to have a highly mixed background, yet have the knife stand out so well as the primary subject. :cool:

No help for you. Damn!!

Nicely done. Crystal clear. Indoor or natural lighting?

Coop

Thanks bladewolf! I started out trying to photograph just knives by themselves but got frustrated and bored. Then I started adding all kinds props in there untill I kinda got carried away. The M4 Fighter pics had alot more junk in there before I calmed down. LOL

Hi Tom. That would be a Citizen Nighthawk on an aftermarket kevlar strap. here's a few pics.

Thank you very much, Coop. Your photo's definately inspired me! Much appreciated. :)

Those were all taken indoors using 1 clamp light w/ a 75w bulb. I started taking picks about a week ago so I don't really own any lighting equipment. I just cobbled together whatever I had lying around. My "lightbox" is actually a shirt box and the tissue paper that was inside. Oh and a mirror for bounce.

Here's a pick of my "studio". LoL! :eek:

I thought I'd try photographing 3 different knives with the same background/setup for fun. Here's the end result.

Dale Lennon hunter/utility

Another Dale Lennon in damascus

J.D. Lange forged clip point

As I have no idea what I'm doing yet feel free to give your opinions on the pics. And Thanks for looking. :)

I wish I have so many things you have to make such a great composition! Especially watches...

May I suggest you to use second lamp to light part of handle from different side from low ange. On all pictures bottom side of the handle too dark and almost not visible. Third lamp also may help to do fill light to make less shadows on background (if you are not intended to have this shadows).

Thanks, Vassili.

Thanks for the pointers Vassili. I really do need more light sources for fill, highlights, etc. In the last set of photos, the use of shadow was intentional. I still should have bounced some light under the handles though.

I like watches almost as much as like knives. I sneak a watch into almost every pic I take. Hehehee :D

Stunning. Some of the best stuff I've seen. That goes for the knives and the pics alike ;)

I may just have to give this a try myself ...

All the best,

- Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated! :D :eek:

You should definitely give it a try, Mike. It's a lot of fun but pretty addictive(in a good way :thumbup: ). It also gives you a new way too appreciate your knife collection. I've "rediscovered" a few knives I had forgotten about. Best of all, it will give you an excuse to buy new knives. ;) Heh

Physics said:
Here's a few of a Daniel Certo M4 Fighter

:eek: HOLLY FUCKIN' SHIT !!!!!!!!!!
What a nice brute !!!!!! Is this possible to get more infos about the maker, and the specs of that BMF ????!!!!!!!.....
And of course, exquisite pictures, that's all I can say.......

Yeah, that one is a biggen. ;)

Blade Steel: 5160
Blade Length: 8 "
Blade Thickness: 1/4"
Overall Length: 13"
Handle Length: 5 "
Blade Finish: Satin Finish
Handle Material: Material: Green Canvas Micarta

Here's a link to Daniel M. Certo's web site http://www.relentlessknives.com/index1.html . Click the "catalog" link and the M4 is half way down.

I bought that one from him through ebay about a year or so ago. He tends to make a few protoypes then auctions them off. I was real lucky and "stole" it for $160.00. Therefore mine is slighty different than the latest version of the M4. The handle looks more comfortable on the newest version.

Thanks for looking.

Since were talking big knives I guess I'll throw in this pic of my MMHW White River Bowie. :)

Steel - 5160
Blade length - 10"
Total length - 16"
Thickness- 1/4"
Weight - freakn' heavy

Back