My Second Spear

Hi Guys,

I've been on a spearmaking kick lately, and find it fun and challenging. My first spear was more of a poleweapon than a spear; this one was made for throwing. It's lighter and more streamlined. I made the socket out of a black pipe, like last time, but this time I forge welded the two pieces together rather than mig welding them. Unfortunately, I can still see the weld line, I was hoping for a seamless weld. I think the pipe, being thinner, heated up much faster than the spear itself, because after awhile the pipe was so thin it was like trying to weld paper to the steel. But, in any case, it's in there to stay! Any advice on how to get a seamless weld on these buggers?

Attachments

• Socketed Spearhead 024.jpg
    Socketed Spearhead 024.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Socketed Spearhead 023.jpg
    Socketed Spearhead 023.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 79
  • Socketed Spearhead 022.jpg
    Socketed Spearhead 022.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 65
  • Socketed Spearhead 021.jpg
    Socketed Spearhead 021.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 71
I don't know if there is any high carbon pipe that small, but it might be easier to weld the pipe for the spear point than to flatten and lap and weld the steel for the shaft.

Too cool man! Have you chucked it at anything yet?

One of these is definitely on my to do list! Looks great!

I don't know if there is any high carbon pipe that small, but it might be easier to weld the pipe for the spear point than to flatten and lap and weld the steel for the shaft.

Bo, I don't think that would work. I may abandon this method and simply forge an integral spear like other guys do. I don't like that methos either though, as I think the spearhead would be offset from the integral socket. Yet another approach is to make a Japanese "yari" like the one recently posted in the custom forum. This spear does have a socket of sorts, but the shaft does not go in it; instead, it has a long tang which fits inside the shaft.

Too cool man! Have you chucked it at anything yet?

One of these is definitely on my to do list! Looks great!

Are you kidding? I've thrown it at EVERYTHING! It's really satisfying when it sticks and just stays there quivering in the target. I've also thrown it for distance with a high arching throw, but only managed to get it out about fifty feet. It takes practice and technique, which I haven't developed.

I'll say one other thing. Making spears is a whole other field from knifemaking, you encounter entirely different issues. Ah, and to think, I haven't even tried to make a bearded Viking battleaxe, but I will one day.

I think you forgot where you left the box you are so far outside it! Love it!

I think you forgot where you left the box you are so far outside it! Love it!

Thanks Willie. I love this forum, but it is devoted almost 100% to knifemaking. I've got a lot of inspiration for spears and swords from the Fogg forum, as the guys there are more interested in various edged weapons. Over there, I'd be right in the box.

By the way, I have a package ready to send you, as soon as I can get around to going to the post office.

Back