My Summer Camping Knives

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well Summer is almost over for this year. Been a busy Summer with lots of OT but managed to get in a few camp outs. Hoping to get another in before the end of the month too :) This year I carried these two knives with me around camp. One chopper and one slicer. I guess the pocket knife would complete my Nessmuk trio :D I made one of my recent designs in the form of a large recurve camp knife. This one is 16in overall with a 10 3/8in blade. I used 1/4in thick 5160 for the chopper. The little guy is made from 1/8in thick 1095 and ground very thin. Like paring knife thin! I basically ground it to a zero edge then sharpened it to about 20 degrees on each side. It cuts like a razor!It is 8in overall with a 3 7/8in blade. I wanted to try and see how it would hold up being that thin and it did just fine :) Of course I wasn't trying to kill it, but I stressed it enough to be pleased with it. My original idea on the bevel lost out when I was finishing it and I decided to lose some ricasso in favor of more edge. That cost me part of my name stamp but I like the overall result. Both knives got the same toxic green/black G10 handle material. I wanted something dramatic but also bright.

Great pair there.

I am always interested in what custom makers carry for them selves.

Back