My Surefire E2 arrived today

Originally posted by CD Fleischer
The lockout tailcap would be particularly nice -- anyone else have the problem of the light coming on when sitting down or standing up? It is always just momentary. It makes my wife laugh.

I haven't had that problem with it coming on in those situations. Only when I am sitting down and I put the E2 into my pocket does it do that. Then again, I haven't been carrying it in my pocket all that much. It sits in my pack during the workday, and comes out if I go out at night (which isn't that often when you've got 3 kids :))

Matthew

P.S. My wife only laughs when she sees my new purchases - if she doesn't she'll go crazy :)

what about the cost of running the e2 versus the e1? About how much would you say it costs you a month, versus how much you use the light? 75 hours just doesn't mean that much to me. The increased burn time on half the batteries was the reason i was thinking e1, what do you guys think?

- Pete

LMAO I have an E2 I use for IT work and looking in jammed HP printers! I wear cargo pants at work (Hey its the benefit of being an IT geek) and as I sat down I felt this really hot feeling on my right thigh, what the hell? I though then looking down I see the screw cap of the FL is on and the heat coming off it is enough to fry an egg! Jeeze! I thought there goes $2.50 worth of battery life lol!

Time to jump in this thread.

I used to have a E2-GM... I missed it dearly, until this morning when I got a brand new spankin' E2e-HA !

I really miss the look a feel of the E2 because it felt so classy. This E2e is much more... hardcore?

Yeah, I am happy again.

I am sure everyone freaked when the light got super hot for the first time :D

I highly recomend the E2e if anyone is planning on getting the E2. It's a little longer and the bezel is slightly bulkier. But it is more 'hardcore'. I have both. I plan to put the MN02 lamp in the E2 when it's available. And the HOLA in the E2e when it's available.

But right now comparing the two side by side the E2e seems brighter. Even thought they have the same MN03 and fresh SF123A's. Something about Lexan vs. Pyrex. I tried to take a picture of the two beams. The difference doesn't show up in pictures. The downside is the beam seems a little less 'Sure Fire' and a little more 'UKE'. I don't know if it's just mine. But it's beam quality still superior to anything else out there.

dsc00006.jpg

I ordered an E2e yesterday and am waiting for the Brown truck. I saw a picture of "The Beast", which is their new arc lamp light. Holy crap! Same bulb technology as high end cars and police helicopters. Intense blue white light. It's pretty big and heavy and they are calling it their first "crew served flashlight".

OK! You guys are killing me. Now I want one, too.

2 questions:

Who has the best price?

Is the hard anodize worth the extra cost?

Thanks,

Dan...playing with his old 6P...:)

Well, I took her into the darkened, enclosed office next door to mine and made a believer out of her!

Couldn't let this pass without commenting. :D

HA is worth paying for. It will last, and last. Unlike other anodisings, HA doesn't wear off. I won't EDC a non-HA SureFire.

The E Series are designed as EDC lights. I consider the E2e to be my backup light for another SureFire at night. I always have an E2e on me, and the beam is excellent for those everyday tasks.

The most important feature of SureFire-HID is the instant-strike.
There will be no waiting for the beam to warm up like old-tech lights that are coming on to the market. SureFire-HID will be like flashlights.

Al

Dan, right now the places that have the E2e (and E1e) are limited. I got mine from www.arizonagunrunners.com You can also order from www.surefire.com If anyone else sells them I don't know who they are.

Get the hard anodizing.

P.S. The clip on the E2e is worthless compared to the E2. I suggest getting the V82 holster. And that is only available by calling Sure Fire right now.

I don't agree.

The E2e PocketClip is for clipping to the inside of your pocket and not really for belt clipping like the longer style clip.

These clips are interchangeable on the E2e.

Al

Can anyone suggest the best places on the web to get an E2 or E2e? I would like to get a great deal on one, but I would like to find a place that has them in stock. I want the HA version BTW.

I have found great prices at www.cutleryshoppe.com but they only have the gunmetal in stock and none of the HA ones.

John, besides the two links I provided already, there's 1SKS. Go to the very, very top of this thread and click on the "store" link.

The "M2/C2" Long 'Belt-type' clip and the short "E1e/E2e" Short "Pocket-type' clip use the same interface to attach to the body.

Personally, for the E2e, I clip it to the inside of my trouser pocket with the short clip. For the M2, I use the standard long clip with Lanyard attached to clip it to my belt.

However, you could swap the clips over, or, make your own clip or attachment option.

Al

I got an E2 tonight. I've seen it in action at night before :eek: so I wasn't surprised, just glad I got one :D

I also tried it against my 3 D cell Maglight indoors, and they both seem to put out a similar amount of light, but the E2 really lit up the room, and the Maglight put out an unnecessarily brighter central spot.

I'm going to try an Inova X5 along with the E2, as a longer-lasting, not-quite-as-bright partner. I also want to see how well the Inova will perform with depleted E2 batteries, since they both use 2 123s.

The E1 wouldn't have worked for me. Even with over double the run-time per battery, it costs too much to use for relatively little light. I wanted something to light up the whole yard, or a whole block of sidewalk, and the E2 does. Also, the E2 fits my hand perfectly from tailcap to bezel. The E1 would be lost inside my palm somewhere. Definitely too short for gloves.

You can reduce the chance of turning the light on inadvertently, in a pocket, by rotating the tailcap a little farther off than necessary. This will require a deeper push on the momentary button to activate it.

The E2 fits in the TAD-OS pretty well, but it's clumsy to remove. I think I'll use the TAD for the Inova, though.

I've been using a G2 for about 6 months - yes it does work! Side by side with a 6 C-cell maglite shows it's the same on the eyeball test, with better fill and no dark spots. The run time is about an hour with the 60 lumen bulb - I'm not sure my eyes could take the contrast using the 120 lumen at night - but it would be a great force option!
The best way to impress the unbelievers is at night. I got the chance in Egypt last September (Brightstar 02) and it would illuminate objects (not just make them visible) at 60 meters.
Carry options for this include the factory 6P holster, but you might try the military style SpecOps Super Sheath (specopsbrand.com) Great new product line and superb service. A fully adjustable sheath -just remember to lock out the light when holstered - which mounts up, down, sideways, and has an adjustable flap.
The carry case with bulb and spare batts is my next buy. With a 10 year shelf life get batteries in bulk - you save 50% or more over store pricing There is little price competition yet - and I'm NOT paying $5 each. Bet you aren't either.

Seeing this thread creep back up to the top reminded me of how much I've grown to rely on having a good light with me. I find that my E2 is a great EDC light, and a very good backup for my M2 or M3.

I do find, however, that I'm carrying my E1e more and more, since it fits so well inside that little watch/lighter pocket that you find on bluejeans.

I don't go any place without my D3 Defender. Never carried anything for light before that. I had to pick one up for work a while back and it hasn't left my left hip on my belt since then. Sure battery time could be better but you can't beat there product quality or there customer service.

Satin Vector, welcome to Bladeforums! Good to have you join us. You won't find much competition for that many Vectors, but there's a few less affluent MT fans around.

I just got my Inova X5 today and I'm looking forward to nighttime so I can go around annoying all my neighbors with another bright light in their eyes.

It's OK, they're used to me. :D

The X5 is elegant. It's not nearly as bright as a Surefire, of course, being only a 5 LED light. But it basically replaces and beats at its own game my mini-maglite.

Back