My thoughts on Rob

While two days short of the 28th, it is still the day I will remember Rob the most. It is the day after Thanksgiving.

So two years since the world lost one of its great sons.

Time has gone by and I find I miss Rob less and less. I hope that is just a natural progression. I still do get chills anytime I see someone wearing what looks like Robs hat a show.

I still can feel Rob somehow watching over my shoulder everytime I finish up one of his knives. I think he wants to keep me on my toes.

Rob and I did not have that super close friendship that he had with other makers. But we were getting closer.

Rob had a long list of qualities that one would like to look up to, and I really looked up to the man on many levels.

Sure I admired his knifemaking skill, but that was low on my list of his top qualities. I looked up to Rob for his very nature. The way he was comfortable being who he was. And because of that he could be comfortable in the company of others. Rob had a way of talking to you that made you feel important, like you were the only person in the room.

I admired his spirital search. I wish I had the since of peace with things that he did. Lastly I admired Rob because he had a large group of real friends, guys who truely loved him. If when I pass, I have half the number of true friends that Rob did, I will be a happy man.

There are other things but I would be here all night.

So with this I drink a shot of one of Robs favorite Scotchs and bid him another farewell. Good bye brother. I hope I am doing right by you.

I knew Rob Simonich! He was my friend!

I never knew the man but he was a person I would have liked to meet. Everything that I've read about him make it sound like he was quite a guy.

Sean

R.W., you sir are first class. For what it is worth coming from me, sincerely, THANK YOU!

Rob was a real man.......................

I wish I had gotten to know him better, but I am thankful for all the time we spent together.

Its now officially the 29th, but I started toasting my brother several hours ago with his favorite Scotch Lagavulin on the 28th. We miss you more than words can say Rob. We are ALWAYS thinking about you and your lovely wife Christine, and daughter Megan.. Till we see you again my friend, happy hunting.

Your Bud
Trace Rinaldi

I get the same ..for the lack of a better word.. empty feeling when ever I drive by his house on the way to town. I do like to stop in or call Christine from time to time just to see how she is fairing.

God I miss Rob !

i knew Rob and consider him a close friend.. R.W. i couldn't have said it any better than you did here.. a wonderful post for such a great man. Rob we miss you till... i see you on the other side my friend.

R.W.Clark said:
I still do get chills anytime I see someone wearing what looks like Robs hat a show.

I can't tell you how many time I've been at a show and see a painfully thin guy wearing a black hat -- often from the back or at a distance -- and had my heart jump and said to myself, "Oh good, there's Rob Sim... uwww... no." It breaks my heart every time.

Rob just loved people. He loved being at shows. He loved greeting everyone.

What a shame that he was snatched away just as his career was really taking off. I hesitate to think what might have been, what we, the knife community, lost.

Back