Naniwa Stones?

Razor

Gold Member
Has anyone used these? Their is a place close to me that carries theses. I was thinking about buying one if they are any good.

Fantastic stones! I have never had a problem with the ones I have used. And several different series are sure to fit everyone's price range. I have used the Economy, Sharpening and Chosera line. All worked well.

Has anyone used these? Their is a place close to me that carries theses. I was thinking about buying one if they are any good.

I think there's different versions of stones sold under "Naniwa"... so you might want to find out which one they're actually selling.

Naniwa makes a great stone.
I have 3 Super Stones and 2 Chosera so far and they are a joy to work with.

The Traditional series sounds good also and they are pretty reasonably priced.
I think they are soaking stones though and the splash and go stones have spoiled me but I still use my King's for certain knives.

If you are getting stones for knives 400 and 1K are a good start and if you're doing razors then you would probably start at 1K and top out whenever you run out of cash.

They are selling chosera stones now for the kme system I may look into those later this year and try them out. J hear great things about the quality and usefulness of naniwa stones overall

The Naniwa Pro, aka Chosera stones. 400, 800, 3000
2k Aotoshi, aka Green Brick of Joy.
Junpaku 8k, aka Snow White.

These are some of the top Naniwa stones you should be looking at unless you want to hone razors. Then the Super Stone 5k, 8k, 10k and 12k would be recommended, the Snow White too, it's pretty awesome on razors. While great on razors the SS would be my very last choice of stones for sharpening knives.

I like the Chosera stones but could never really warm up to them as much as I did my Shaptons when following a "set". However, I did discover that the Chosera 400 and 2k Green Brick make a killer combo and is ideal for non-PM steels. They are still some of my favorite stones for basic carbon and stainless steels.

WOW! Jason, even in our differences, we share much of the same tastes! I could have mirrored your statement precisely! Started with Chosera, but now I can't be without my Shapton stones. Although I still have a broken Chosera 400 grit(just can't part with it), and I absolutely LOVE the Green Brick of Joy. Two AWESOME stones.

The Chosera 400 is a really awesome stone, cuts faster than most stones half its grit rating, stays flat almost as long as a Shapton Glass and has great feedback.

(Unrelated: if you don't have one I would suggest trying the Suehiro Cerax 6k)

What is the advantage to the chosera stones over say a good set of diamonds, a set of the standard kme stones and a hard Arkansas and some strops?

The Chosera stones will produce the cleanest scratch pattern of any stone. Every scratch the stone makes is uniform and exactly like the one next to it. They are the perfect stones for setting a base polish because of how clean the scratch pattern is. Less noticeable on normal knife bevels but on larger beveled knives and tools the difference is amazing. I think these qualities stop with the 3000 though, the 5000 and 10,000 start loosing some of these qualities.

I also fee that using them with a guided system gives up about 50% of there allure, these are know for there feedback and that's why most gravitate to them.

Shapton Glass and Naniwa Chosera are probably the two most heavily debated stone lines by serious waterstone users. There are literally hundreds of threads on other forums (kitchen forums) that discuss these stones to death. Basically, they are both excellent but personal preference will ultimately decide which brand you like most.

But if that's not enough, just google reviews, these stones have a following for good reason.

So on a guided system and not really concerned with a super polished edge at the moment then I would be better off not spending the money for them. Good info to have for later though

I think the Glass stones or diamond plates are ideal on guided systems. The Glass stones stay flatter longer for a given amount of metal removal. This means less needing to adjust your angle setting and more consistent bevels. The Glass stones are also some of the least messy waterstones so that's always a plus. Diamond stones take it a step further by always being flat and making the least amount of mess but I only like them for rough work or on steels with high Vanadium content. For everything else I like the edge produced by waterstones far better and IMO the 2k is near perfection.

Back