Nathan the Machinist Field Knife thoughts after Elk Hunt...

Brian77

Gold Member
See Pic of knife close up in post # 12 at bottom....

EDIT. Many of you are familiar with Nathan's work... He does have sales here on BF at times...

I asked my son to share his thoughts on his latest knife. Here it is…

I have never done a review and did not set out to do so. But this was a great experience and eye opening for me and so I thought to share… I apologize in advance for the lack of writing structure a good review should have… This is more just me sharing some memories and thoughts as I experienced them.

On a recent elk hunting trip, after much discussion with my dad, and trying to decide which knives to take, I took 2 primary knives for field processing elk if we were fortunate enough to get one. My Nathan Field knife had only arrived in the mail 4 days before I left. The day I got this bull, not by design, my other knife was left at the cabin. I would by habit usually have 2 quality knives along on a hike or hunt this far from the road…. After the bull was down and pictures were taken, we started in on the processing to break it down to pack size. The bull was shot in the burned out timber, and the dry logs and tops were brutal on legs and feet. So it was decided to remove the primary meat parts and leave some of the quarters intact.

First to the opening up of the hide. This elk had just left a wallow and was stinky and had gravel and mud in his hide. I have often observed during skinning of deer with winter coats on how fast the hair can take the edge of a “normal” knife. I was taught to try to cut from the inside out and avoid hair contact, after the primary opening cut to avoid dulling the edge from hair contact.
So the first cut was up the outside of the rear leg. Wow. It was like unzipping a zip lock bag. ZIP! Slide and slice. After we removed the one quarter we started on the other. Then on to the removing of the backstrap. Wow. This was something looked forward to and dreamed about. Standing on a mountain in the morning sun, holding an excellent knife. The knife handled like a dream come true. Almost too sharp for skinning if that is possible? This part of the hunt should be enjoyable, and it was. If the tools are quality and able to handle the job with ease, it adds to the enjoyment. The fun part is always removing the back straps and the tenderloins. We did it like Dr Waco (Virtuovice) does on his YouTube channel when he field processes his stags in Japan. The bull was positioned on its knees and hocks, and upright. So we started on top. And the sound of the knife scraping on the spine and ribs as the back strap came out was making me nervous. If you have ever done this you know that there is significant contact with the bone on the point and along the belly of the knife. I was being careful and trying to protect my edge, but at the same time knowing we had a lot of miles to cover before dark with a heavy load. My uncle was paired up with me for this hunt, and he was “helping” me with the cutting up. His knife went dull within the first 5 minutes, and he kept “borrowing” mine. That won’t happen next time! But back to the review… The edge just kept cutting and cutting. Even when hair was cut down the legs, it just flew off in clouds like it was being ejected. And the edge held through it all.

“Popping” the joints, made me wince. I had to use the very point, and stick it into the large shoulder and hip joints, and lever it to cut the inner tendon and pop the joint apart. It handled it and shrugged. Once the main quarters were separated and the loins and the heart set aside, we looked at what other meat could be taken of the remaining bone structure. Have you ever removed the neck meat from an animal laying in the field? This bull was at the end of the rut, and his neck was swollen and huge. There is a lot of scraping of steel on bone in this part of the process as well. Also we used it to separate the skull from the neck and that required significant bone contact as well. My uncle was twisting the rack for leverage and I was underneath prying and cutting and wedging the knife tip into the vertebrae hard to cut the tendons…

All this took about 3 hours, with an awesome knife. If I had been using a knife like me uncle had, I don’t know how long it could have taken. When he “borrowed" my knife, I resorted to using my Leatherman with S 30v because it was better than his knife. This Nathan Field knife when coated in blood and dirt and gore form this job never was uncomfortable or slippery or awkward. It fit the hand perfectly and never fatigued the fingers or the wrist. And back at the cabin, when tested on paper, it still sliced packing paper. To me, that is very impressive. This is different than butcher shop work. There is no carcass hoist, and no hose to constantly wash away hair and mud and field dirt. The edge has constant exposure to things that dull an edge on the knives I have used for many years… I actually don’t know what the steel is in some of these older knives I have been given or purchased. But this “hair popping” sharp knife from Nathan came truly that, and stayed almost that sharp through this entire cutting up of this bull elk.
I appreciate the opportunity to own and use something this well thought out and designed. Thank you to Nathan the Machinist for selling me this knife. Regards, Austin.

LgoceSf.jpg

ydWigSo.jpg

SHil5Rm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. As a fan of Nathan's work, it's cool to hear that people are using his knives for what they are designed to do.

Thanks for posting this up, and great review Austin!

I have one of those knives as well, but won't use it.....Nathan does not make a lot of knives and the method that he is using is unique in the knife world, so I keep them in mint condition for the archives.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for sharing this story!

I'm not at all surprised that the knife served you well. Nathan puts a lot of study - even scholarship - into his designs, alloy selection, and heat-treat. :thumbup:

Thanks for posting this up, and great review Austin!

I have one of those knives as well, but won't use it.....Nathan does not make a lot of knives and the method that he is using is unique in the knife world, so I keep them in mint condition for the archives.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

First off, thank you Brian for posting Austin's great review. I love the reports from the field.

And, STeven, an addict like my self solved that problem by having two of Nathan's Field Knives - one for just fondling and one for use. :D Mike

Great story and testimonial. Not to mention a nice bull. May you have ma y more such experiences in the future. Thanks very much for sharing. Maybe post a picture of the knife?

I'm an addict of Nathan's knives. I have been doing exactly as Garsson has. If most others get used, there'll be more than one archive.

Thanks for the excellent review,

Bob Betzner

Last edited:
Congratulations on your bull!! That is beautiful country. And thanks for taking the time to write up the review for us. It's great to see the next generation of hunters enjoying the woods :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing that, Brian. I have one of Nathan's field knives as well and it's handily performed any task I've asked it to.

Brian, thank you for posting that for us. Please relay to Austin that is is AMAZINGLY COOL to see a young man out hunting and using fantastic kit. In this day and age, I feel like our youth and our future is looking pretty grim. Posts like this, written well and so articulate, do my heart good. Congratulations Austin on your bull. Having the right kit out in the wild certainly makes adventures like your much more enjoyable.

This whole post is a WIN!

Thank you both again.

Great story and testimonial. Not to mention a nice bull. May you have ma y more such experiences in the future. Thanks very much for sharing. Maybe post a picture of the knife?

Here is the knife described. Sorry, I did not think about that. When I inspected the edge after this use, I could not see any rolls, or flat spots at all. No chipping or damage. This heat treat is awesome.

D44AZTn.jpg

eXFR1ka.jpg

He worked hard for this hunt, and he worked very hard to scout and find this bull. I am proud of him.

Also he is learning to build knives. He has made several already. Tom McGinnis and Leonard at the Ozark Forge has given him valuable teaching and help.

If you enjoy nature...

bGoao4U.jpg

NbYVxcr.jpg

aWEFzMf.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread I enjoyed every bit of it! Thanks Brian, Austin, and all who contributed! We need more threads like this.

Mike

great thread! On another note, because of this thread I just realized that Nathan the Machinist is the one who made this EPIC knife and video!!! Please correct me if I am mistaken
[YouTube]IcovoTyGiRg[/YouTube]

Last edited:
3v is an EXCELLENT steel choice, I have several knives in 3v and really enjoy the level of wear and abrasion resistance... and tough as hell to boot. Nathan knows exactly what he is doing. Great thread!

great thread! On another note, because of this thread I just realized that Nathan the Machinist is the one who made this EPIC knife and video!!! Please correct me if I am mistaken

^^^
I believe it is. I watched this sometime back, in utter disbelief- this has to be some of thee toughest steel used?!

Great thread I enjoyed every bit of it! Thanks Brian, Austin, and all who contributed! We need more threads like this.

Mike

^^^
+1 I totally agree- awesome thread!

Here is the knife described. Sorry, I did not think about that. When I inspected the edge after this use, I could not see any rolls, or flat spots at all. No chipping or damage. This heat treat is awesome.

D44AZTn.jpg

eXFR1ka.jpg

He worked hard for this hunt, and he worked very hard to scout and find this bull. I am proud of him.

Also he is learning to build knives. He has made several already. Tom McGinnis and Leonard at the Ozark Forge has given him valuable teaching and help.

If you enjoy nature...

bGoao4U.jpg

NbYVxcr.jpg

aWEFzMf.jpg

Looks like Gila or Lincoln down in NM. Stunningly beautiful.

YES! Thanks for that link. I need to learn how to do that. That is Nathan doing the test....

what a great review, and its also very heart warming to see a young person showing gratitude for a well made object. Very rare

Back