Natural and Natural

Hurrul

Gold Member
Amidst the plethora of handle materials available today, I still carry a strong preference for synthetic handle materials vs. natural wood. In part, my aversion to wood stems from having some wood handles change, shift, move (not Fiddlebacks or Fiddle kindred blades but others), and while stabilized woods largely prevent scale material changes, I still find "natural" tan, brown micartas eye grabbing and less needy.

Lately, the vintage natural micartas on the scene have increased my affinity for this scale material and the look it gives a blade - these older materials bring different and unrepeatable character to the "natural" themed look.

MIeJ6bql.jpg

Edge Knife works/Joshua Fisher Vintage Westinghouse natural on a Kitchen Utility - very unique visually, and smell. A noticeable scent emits from this blade, from the day I got it to couple of years in passing.

XHA9ibul.jpg

Ocmulgee Shoal with vintage natural micarta

rsGH2S8l.jpg

Bushnub in vintage linen natural and machete in contemporary natural

vpKizl2l.jpg

Bushraptor with vintage linen natural

ZMk5g9Rl.jpg

Contemporary natural micarta on a Bushraptor

OMn9vwsl.jpg

Contemporary natural on a Pocket Ninja next to a wolf print

9JghMisl.jpg

Nice light oatmeal brown natural on a Shank

I think that I also partly prefer natural micartas, as these materials are kind of wood-like in appearance, without being prone to my fear of a woody material shifting. Nearly every-time I see a Fiddleback or Fiddle family knife in plain Jane natural or more uncommon and exotic vintage offerings, I get the itch to buy.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
The Power of Brown
3 Finger Kardas; standard natural on the left and vintage brown canvas on the right
04JwCMXl.jpg

Subtle character seen as a black layer that's almost like another liner near the orange pinstripe
djpXNsAl.jpg

For the longest time I wasn't very fond of any knives with micarta handles. I saw them as plain and boring. I preferred the natural beauty of burls and interesting wood grain. Admiring what mother nature could produce. And I'm still in awe of her beauty.

However, after years of using and collecting beautiful wood handled knives I branched out and started buying some synthetic handled knives to diversify my collection.

To my surprise, the linen micarta, vintage micarta, paper micarta, and burlap micarta handled knives were beautiful too! They also have very cool and interesting patterns and coloration.

I now own and use a lot of micarta handled Fiddleback and family knives. I can now appreciate the beauty and functionality I was somehow overlooking.

I'll gather up a few of my favorites and take a pic for you since I'm stuck inside on this bitterly cold Sunday in Nebraska!

Last edited:
Sorry for the colors. My intent was not to take over your thread. I just realized I have a nice variety of different colored micartas in addition to my natural micarta selections. So many beautiful choices!

That vintage emerald green Bushfinger (non burlap with the white pin) is pretty sweet. The limited appearance of this material temps me every time, but I have not jumped on anything. I wonder how much of it was/is around...

Thanks for sharing - great line up.

That vintage emerald green Bushfinger (non burlap with the white pin) is pretty sweet. The limited appearance of this material temps me every time, but I have not jumped on anything. I wonder how much of it was/is around...

Thanks for sharing - great line up.
Man, you and James River James River are killin' me!

What's the story with the single pin Sylverfalcon?

Is it a prototype? one of the 1st of that particular model?
The single pin Sylverfalcon and the single pin Hiking Buddy in my other pic are actually hidden tang models. I'm not sure if Andy made any others with a hidden tang. These are the only two I've ever seen.

Wow! That darkened a lot. How old is it?
I got it in June of 2020. One of my favorite knives I own. The paper is cracking tho by both of the pins at the beginning of the handle. I don't think it will ever be a problem, but I have never seen micarta crack.

I got it in June of 2020. One of my favorite knives I own. The paper is cracking tho by both of the pins at the beginning of the handle. I don't think it will ever be a problem, but I have never seen micarta crack.
I've never seen micarta crack either. I'm sure you're correct and shouldn't be a problem. But I would guess it could be repaired with some ca glue. I've had lots of wood handles crack. I've had some repaired by the makers and I've repaired some myself. If done correctly you can't even tell there was ever a crack.

Back