Necker as a Primary Blade?

Hey guys,

For a long time I've been interested in picking up a Becker knife, but have been hesitant to because I don't have much need for a hard use survival type blade (I carry an axe whenever I am in the woods - that is my survival tool).

I do however use my knives for light duty work like carving, batoning small pieces of kindling, and field dressing game.

I'm wondering if a BK-11 or alternatively an Eskabar would be a good blade for these tasks? And on that note, which one of the two would you recommend? The Eskabar looks like it might be a bit more comfortable, but the BK-11 looks cooler... hmmm :D

And for reference, I currently carry a Mora Clipper as my primary blade and it does fine.

Thoughts?

Hey guys,

For a long time I've been interested in picking up a Becker knife, but have been hesitant to because I don't have much need for a hard use survival type blade (I carry an axe whenever I am in the woods - that is my survival tool).

I do however use my knives for light duty work like carving, batoning small pieces of kindling, and field dressing game.

I'm wondering if a BK-11 or alternatively an Eskabar would be a good blade for these tasks? And on that note, which one of the two would you recommend? The Eskabar looks like it might be a bit more comfortable, but the BK-11 looks cooler... hmmm :D

And for reference, I currently carry a Mora Clipper as my primary blade and it does fine.

Thoughts?

it will do everything you ask, and then some :)

it's a pretty hefty piece of steel for a neck knife. i think you'll be surprized.

also, these days, i'd probably say "go EskaBar" but buy a SanMai BK11 before you can't anymore - that one is ESPECIALLY cool

My thoughts on this are as follows...

Carving can be a little cumbersome on a short handled knife, but I think you will like either of those two for your intended purpose. They are solid, stout little skelotonized fixed blades that get the job done.

I gifted an ESKABAR to a friend and he loves the heck outta that thing.

JGON

If you know how to handle your axe as your primary cutting tool, then a small knife such as the Eskabar/BK11 will do just fine. You dont need a bigger blade for the light duty tasks you mention.

I carry an axe too on my winter outings, but i still prefer a bit more blade in the 4 inch range. Thats probably because im still new to axes, and im still learning how capable it really is.

If you know how to handle your axe as your primary cutting tool, then a small knife such as the Eskabar/BK11 will do just fine. You dont need a bigger blade for the light duty tasks you mention.

I carry an axe too on my winter outings, but i still prefer a bit more blade in the 4 inch range. Thats probably because im still new to axes, and im still learning how capable it really is.

Have you read the Axe Craft section of Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft? Highly recommended if you haven't.

What PTP said is true... knowing how to handle an axe makes knife work light and easy in bushcraft.

The Necker will do just fine for what you're intending, especially if you get the micarta scales for it. They improve the ergos a LOT.

I haven't done any batoning with mine but then I have a BK-2 and would feel silly batoning with anything else. :D I can personally attest to the BK-11's prowess when it comes to field dressing game...

20101126_ac_11.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

The 11 can baton some stuff. I batoned 2x4's w/ mine...some cross batoning some maple, split some small hickory, etc. Just gotta not get too big of a bite when you start batoning. I'd use the 11 AND the mora. More is always better than less.

Same steel, same maker, same everything, except the handle is a little different. Get it, it won't let you down.

Moose

[youtube]QlJ3wLwxIm8[/youtube]

the bk11 has never let me down. i think it might be a little stringer than the bk14 and looks much better.

Alright guys, I'm convinced :D Especially because of GingivitisKahn's pic! Wow!

I think I'm going to go for the BK-14. It's 3 bucks cheaper than the BK-11 at my local knife place! Haha.

And those who posted about handling an axe properly are absolutely right. I honestly don't use my knives much at all when I'm in the woods because I always find myself going back to my axe. Even for carving and other relatively fine work I find myself defaulting to my axe. But, I like to have a small knife handy for food prep, making pencil thin kindling, and cleaning game.

Hmm... I'm thinking a Becker hatchet would be pretty cool!

I think I'm going to go for the BK-14. It's 3 bucks cheaper than the BK-11 at my local knife place! Haha.

And those who posted about handling an axe properly are absolutely right. I honestly don't use my knives much at all when I'm in the woods because I always find myself going back to my axe. Even for carving and other relatively fine work I find myself defaulting to my axe. But, I like to have a small knife handy for food prep, making pencil thin kindling, and cleaning game.

Very cool - you'll love it. In the mean time, I think I need another bowl of venison chili. :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Oh, I see, a pic of a dead, gutted deer is what made you decide to get the knife, but my VIDEO of ETHAN BECKER doing the destruction test on the BK14, and it bending nearly 60 DEGREES, was just for show. Sheesh, you Canadians are something else. Well, at least you have gravy fries.:D

Moose

Well, as a Southern American, it was introduced to me as gravy fries. Later, I was told poutine. A rose by any other name, still tastes the same.

Moose

Oh, I see, a pic of a dead, gutted deer is what made you decide to get the knife, but my VIDEO of ETHAN BECKER doing the destruction test on the BK14, and it bending nearly 60 DEGREES, was just for show. Sheesh, you Canadians are something else. Well, at least you have gravy fries.:D

Moose

It's all about presentation. :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Back