Need a Maker for my Daughter

Usually I have a few makers in mind for anything I want done, but this is a little different.

My daughter was at home for Christmas when I gave my wife her custom santoku. Her & her fiance got jazzed by the idea of getting some custom knives for their kitchen. They are very young and she is leaving for the Air Force basic soon. I explained that these things are not inexpensive, but they want to build a set anyway.

So. With those things in mind, can anyone give me a recommendation?

Important details-

Asian patterns- probably start with a santoku

Steel- stainless is probably best. Probably something a bit on the less expensive side, so maybe aeb-l? I can teach them proper care for carbon steels if need be.

Handle materials- I can try to talk them into synthetic (g10, micarta), but I think they have their heart set on burl wood, so stabilized is a must. If the maker uses kirinite I might be able to sway them that way.

Give me some makers names to check out if you can.

Thanks guys!

I can make you pretty much anything you want and use almost any materials you desire. If you're interested send me an email or give me a call. My contact info. is listed below.

I've heard of this guy Strigamort who makes knives know and then....

But really why don't you give it a shot?

Head over here and check out the threads. Lots of guys that make kitchen stuff and some that even take orders. Some of it is crazy expensive and depending on who makes it can be crazy dangerous in the wrong hands. Stacie, the moderator in this forum (bladsmith), does some kitchen stuff too and when I asked about one of his knives he warned me how specialized it was and the kind of damage it would do in an accident.

Sorry guys, this was supposed to be posted in the kitchen knife forum. Tapatalk forum app strikes again... :mad:

As for making the knives myself... Well, of course the idea crossed my mind. I may give it a go at some point, but I'm barely comfortable making knives for my own consumption in terms of quality. The daughter in question is my baby. If I can't make something for her that is of the highest quality I'd rather not. I'm sure you understand.

I'll admit, when I noticed that this got posted in THIS forum (of all places!) I thought... Shi... I'm gonna get some ribbing for this... :D

Devin Thomas with his AEB-L treatment. Butch Harner is another awesome contender with his use of stainless steels as well.

... The daughter in question is my baby. If I can't make something for her that is of the highest quality I'd rather not. I'm sure you understand...

Hmm... You have! now go make that knife, it will be very special! Yep, you sure will decorate this knife with lot of characters (imperfections) - she will cherish it.

52100 - user imprint character (patina) and super easy to sharpen.
cpm154 - shiny and easy to sharpen.
elmax/m390/20cv - shiny and bring to daddio for sharpening.
k390/s90v - steep learning curve + daddy blood and sweat in this one. and a sharpening joy ride for daddio.

Send to Peter for ht.

Hmm... You have! now go make that knife, it will be very special! Yep, you sure will decorate this knife with lot of characters (imperfections) - she will cherish it.

Bah, I always appreciate your input bud. I think it's a good idea. I'll have to give it a lot of thought.

Probably my biggest reason for not making a large knife (concentrating on smaller knives at the moment) is down to my crappy 1" grinder. The moment I get a 2" belt grinder I'll be looking to do some longer blades though.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll be looking over each and every suggestion. I've sent a few ideas her way, but hopefully they won't get impatient and jump on the first maker I suggest. Choosing the right maker is hard, but rewarding when you get the right one. :)

grinding kitchen knives on a 1x4 is a PITA i know i did it for a while before a used KMG came up for grabs
something WA styled but full tang or even a WA blade that you coudl set into a ho wood handle woul be the cheapest way so you could make sure to get a killer blade

skpi any kind of fance hand finishing since its going to get skuffed up anyhow (scottch brite is the way to go on using kitchen knives )

im working on 40 knives right now and am backordered so i wish i could help (really so due to her service ) but i would be a while out till i coudl even think about putting something together

Back