• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Need advice when dealing with a challenging buyer.

How true Jonathan!!
Would be like Chevy guaranteeing a seized engine that never had an oil change.

If these hunters, don't clean and oil their knives after every use, imagine the condition of their firearms. Free maintenance is never going to teach them how to value their survival tools, or somehow encourage them to be more responsible.

I might continue grinding. You do not appear to be a hard liner and seem to want to do good by the customer. I would double down on the customer service, get the blade out the door and then triple down on disclaimers and warnings to avoid such occurrences in the future.

A little more info on the situation.

I gave the knives to one individual who delivered them to the others with verbal instructions on care and oiling the knives. He then was to relate this to the others, which 3 out of the four people understood and did.

When the one knife came back in terrible condition because of being stored in a wet sheath, I kind of felt that because I did not include clear WRITTEN instructions for all to read on maintaining a high carbon blade I held some responsibility.

Please do not fret Johnathan I have no intentions of warrantying a poorly maintained or rusted knife. And I will not (without a cost or maybe just never) regrind or do what I did for this individual ever again.

I have already started typing up a maintenance and care sheet that will be included with every knife I sell from this point forward. So there will be NO excuses for ignorance or poor maintenance.

Once again, everyone's input has been great.

thank you all
Mark

IMO, the best way to deal with a difficult person in general is not to deal with them for too long. Explain things with brevity and clarity, do not leave anything to chance. Also, when you communicate with said person, simply close with a "do you have any additional questions?" kind of comment. When things are in writing, it is much better for everyone as to who said what, and when.

Back