[NEED] Help for some knife laws.

Hey there guys, I recently bought both a Victorinox One Hand Trekker, as well as a Victorinox Hiker. I know the Trekker has a 4.3in blade length, and the Hiker has about a 3.5in. I was just wondering if these were legal in where I live. I've searched up some laws for where I live, which is San Jose, California, and I couldn't really find much.
If anyone could help me, that'd be great!

You're hot. Can I get your number?

Official California Penal Code

As far as I understand it:
State California allows for concealed carry of the folding knives and there is no limit to the blade length. As long as the knife is not banned by PC 16100-17360 or in Part 6/Title 3/Division 5, it is legal.

Could not find any special rules for San Jose.

As always IMHO and IANAL.

Welcome to the site. I'm moving this to the Knife Laws forum.

Also, please excuse the lack of manners on display here.

San Jose, I live there too, and as I understand it there's nothing under state law that limits blade size on a folder. I don't know of any county laws affecting this either so you should be good. Thankfully CA knife laws aren't nearly as severe as guns.

Okay, thanks guys.
I recently read up on I can't carry knives with blades longer than 4in in a public building.
I'm assuming I can carry both the Hiker and Trekker anywhere, as long as it's not a public building correct?

San Jose municipal codes (laws) can be found here at San Jose's official website- http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.asp

If you place your cursor on the word "Government", then click on "Municipal Code" you can do a search of San Jose's laws.

I did a search for the words "knife" and "blade" and found no results. From my experience, what that tells me is that there are no knife laws specific to San Jose, and that much like many other cities/counties in California, that San Jose follows CA state law.

Under state law it is perfectly legal for you to carry any folding knife, of any size, concealed or openly, as long as it isn't a switchblade with a blade 2" or longer. There is no California law saying that you cannot carry knives in public, or in public buildings. However, there are state laws forbidding the carrying of certain folding knives on public school property. And there are restrictions on the carrying of knives into government buildings.

I would feel very comfortable carrying the knives you mentioned in public, in any public building, or in any public park. But I wouldn't carry them on any public school grounds, or into any government buildings.

Last edited:
So you're saying I can carry both, just not onto school/government grounds.
I cannot carry switchblades with a blade longer than 2in correct?
Also, I can brin my Trekker out to like, say my neighborhood park or Walmart?

So you're saying I can carry both, just not onto school/government grounds.
I cannot carry switchblades with a blade longer than 2in correct?
Also, I can brin my Trekker out to like, say my neighborhood park or Walmart?
My answer is YES to all three questions (but the blade of a switchblade must be under 2" to be legal). In fact, you can carry as many knives as you want, there is no limit on how many you can carry. And Walmart sells a variety of folding knives, so there's no way they would object to someone carrying them. I openly carry a fixed-blade almost everywhere I go, including into Walmart, and no one has ever said a word to me about it.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer. And I have never been to San Jose. But I have lived in California for the past 44 years, and I have been carrying knives for most of that time. And I have a lawyer on retainer who advises me on all knife-related legal matters.

Sorry about my earlier remark (I'm a Hunger Games fan).

You picked the most acceptable type of knife possible to carry. You shouldn't have any problems.

These are some knives I regularly (and legally) carry...

Back