Need Help Identifying 2 Swords

i picked up these 2 swords recently. 1 appears to be a post Civil War Medical Staff Sword but i cant zero in the age. the other sword one looks like a Civil War 1852 Naval Sword. Thoughts?

The second sword certainly appears to be an M1852 USN officers sword, BUT specifying an age is elusive. Unless there is a name on engraved on the sword that could be used to track when it was in use by a particular officer, a specific age is difficult to nail down. The M1852 is still the basis for USN officer swords being made to this day but the specs have changed over the years.

Blade width can be used to place a sword into a general period ---

The "original" M1852 were nearly an inch wide, measured at the guard. In 1872, the width was reduced to a smidgeon over 3/4". The sword was phased out entirely during and right after WW2. It was brought back during the 1950s. (1952 is ringing a bell for some reason.) The width was again reduced, this time to about 1/2" wide.

Are there any numbers stamped into the rings on the scabbard?

Manufacturing year dates were stamped into the brass parts of the scabbard with the 1872 specs. This practice continued up to at least 1917, the latest date I have seen. The last two digits of the year the scabbard was made were stamped into the scabbard brass parts. A "12" would indicate 1912.

no dates that i can find. the blade measures 13/16th's or a tad over 3/4. the only info i have on the sword is that the supposed owner was a surgeon in the civil war but he died june 22, 1864. that would pre date the sword.

the Medical Staff swords appears to be nickle plated. that would also put that post civil war as well correct?

no dates that i can find. the blade measures 13/16th's or a tad over 3/4. the only info i have on the sword is that the supposed owner was a surgeon in the civil war but he died june 22, 1864. that would pre date the sword.

Is that 3/4" measurement for the Medical Officer sword or the M1852?

That would put the M1852 into the 1872 to 1941 time period, re: manufacturing date. Date of sales/usage would need a name attached to the sword.

Back