Need help with kydex

Hey guys without getting into to much detail would anyone happen to know where I can get my hands on some kydex that will form very tight and curve nicely? I was thinking the thinner the kydex the more it will shape to the object I need it to. I saw some stuff over @ knifekits.com that is .6; anyone know if this will work for what I'm looking to do?

ANY info appreciated :cool:

Man I use the 0.93 kydex for all my knives and it works great... alot stouter and will last forever. Also I get mine from a guy on ebay, 101 surplus I think, fast shipping and really good prices.....

The .060 stuff from knifekits should work for just about anything. I have a Glock holster from that thickness and knifekits is a reputable place.

if your just starting dont use 0.093 i made that mistake and it was horrible trying to work the stuff get some 0.06 or 0.05 if possible

The big setback is I want something that is going to be extremely form fitting, while not adding alot of thickness. I don't have the money to have custom plastic molds made; I was hoping that if I got thin enough Kydex that shapping it a couple of times would produce similar results.

Also is Kydex abrasive? So if I were rub my mag light up agaisnt it it wouldn't sandpaper the finish off?

The Kydex itself is not abrasive but can become contaminated with grit like any semi-soft material. The .060 will form tightly but forming by hand is not always as easy as it sounds, a press of some sort will usually make it much easier. For a single-use press you can make it as simple as a couple of pieces of plywood with a few layers of foam carpet pad. Hinges at one end make it much faster to clamp down.

The Kydex itself is not abrasive but can become contaminated with grit like any semi-soft material. The .060 will form tightly but forming by hand is not always as easy as it sounds, a press of some sort will usually make it much easier. For a single-use press you can make it as simple as a couple of pieces of plywood with a few layers of foam carpet pad. Hinges at one end make it much faster to clamp down.

My plan was to get the foam stuff off of knifekits.com but they are as of today out-of-stock. Anyone know where I can get some at a local hardware shop? My choices are lowes, sears, and of course walmart. I have slim pickens where I live. I was just going to use a vertical vise to clamp it.

Figured I would take the foam, cover it with cotton, use my old pizza oven to heat it up, throw it on the vise and clamp down tight. I really want to make a two part sheath. The front being the part with the shape and the back just a simple back with a belt attachment setup.

Use a bath towel man!! it works great and the kydex will form as you see fit.. that is to say, get some gloves on and mold it with you fingers, thats what i do at the same time I put the knife in the kydex and under the bath towel.. it cools pretty fast and is somewhat forgiving.. if all else fails pull the kydex from the oven fold it around your knife and put in between the towel (two bath towels, 1 top and 1 bottom) then press!! you really dont need all that knife kit stuff right off the bat..

Last edited:
Back