• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Need makers to evaluate stabilized burl handle material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Itcray,
I looked at your website. Beautiful work on your knives! I will be proud to have you use a piece of our burl for one of your knives. Send me an email with your mailing address and the type knife and I'll save a good block for you.

Hello,
I'd like to be included in this project. Will be glad to write an evaluation. If you let me have a piece that would be OK for a bowie, I hope you will like the results. In any event, thanks for making this offering.
Bob Rose
http://www.bobroseknives.com

Burl, I make custom fire steels, if you want you can send me a few small pieces to try out. All I would need is a piece roughly 3/4"x1"x3/4" or anything larger. My email for the request is my username here with @hotmail.com at the end. Take care, and thanks for offering this either way. :thumbup:

Burl,
I'd like to try a piece of your wood.
We are using stabilized for key chains, pendants, and 'nick nacks' at the moment.
I'll be using it for knives this fall.
Let me know and thank you..... :thumbup:

I recieved my wood block today and it looks very nice, can't wait to get going on the knife! Thanks,

Peter

This will be the last trial piece to be sent out. Thank You to everyone who agreed to help. I can't wait to see the photos of the finished knives.

I got mine today. Pretty nice piece and big enough for more than one handle (unless I screw up one) What kind is it? California Buckeye? Spalted?

got mine today and it is perfect for what i need. thanks a bunch.

If it has blue/gray and gold it is Buckeye. Unfortunately I didn't think to write down what I sent out. I can give a positive ID if you send me a photo.
I got mine today. Pretty nice piece and big enough for more than one handle (unless I screw up one) What kind is it? California Buckeye? Spalted?

This is the first try working with this material. Id like to know what the name of the wood is. Very nice and very hard to capture the beauty if this wood with my camera. I messed around with the settings and the darker pictures seem to capture the real color better.

woodsteel5.jpg

woodsteel6.jpg

woodsteel2.jpg

woodsteel3.jpg

woodsteel4.jpg

woodsteel.jpg

woodsteel1.jpg

woodsteel7.jpg

woodsteel8.jpg

I will work on some more pieces as soon as I can, seeing that I have enough to make a few more pieces. :thumbup:

Last edited:
BURL SOURCE, thanks again for providing the samples. This was the first wood piece I have made and it was really easy working with this stuff. Great stuff. When I polished it up I was shocked on how nice it was. :thumbup:

sorry- just got a chance to get caught up on my e-mails-
I'm doing a batch of my drop point hunters. These have one piece handles. Typical rough dims are .88 x 1.4 x 4.5
I appreciate the generous offer!

Richard Ray
Country Roads Knifeworks
110 Coalmont Ct.
Simpsonville, SC 29681

Itcray,
I looked at your website. Beautiful work on your knives! I will be proud to have you use a piece of our burl for one of your knives. Send me an email with your mailing address and the type knife and I'll save a good block for you.

Last edited:
I first want to thank Burl Source for the chance to try their products. I have to admit this is the first stabilized burl I have used. I got a block that was 1.5 x 1.5 x 6 & 3/4" I figured I would make one of my Wilderness model knives. This knife has some classy lines ans works well with burl. The Burl I got cut very easy work well on a sander and hand sanded very well. I had to cut my block down to make scales for my knife, so the first step was to cut it in strips. For the finish I hand sanded it to 400 grit the buffed it. I am real happy with the final finish of this burl as well. I know one thing I will be buying some of the scales to use in the future. I also have two thin pieces left and will be making another knife with this same block. Thanks again for the opportunity. Doug

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is what they look like before and after finishing
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2599_.jpg
    IMG_2599_.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,284
  • IMG_2600_.jpg
    IMG_2600_.jpg