Need small EDC with DEEP Pocket Clip

Looking for knives with the following requirements:

• 2.5 - 3 inch blade
  • under $50
  • 2.6 ounces or less
  • Deep carry pocket clip (tip up)
  • Can be opened one handed with flipper or stud (don't like thumb hole)

So far I only know of the SOG Flash I and the Small Buck Vantage.

I had a Flash I and it was a good little knife, but after having recently lost my 3rd one in 5 years I'm looking to try something new. (No, I didn't lose them because of the clip, just left them in random places.) A deep pocket clip where the knife can completely disappear is mandatory for an EDC for me. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It looks like a great knife design, however it is too heavy for my purposes. I forgot to mention that so I added in a weight requirement

Another knife to consider is the small version of the Buck Vantage Select.

• 2 5/8" drop point blade
  • Around $25
  • 2.3 oz.
  • Nice, deep pocket clip
  • Flipper
  • 440HC steel blade

Fits your requirements. I have the larger version & love it. Or go with the small Buck Vantage Avid. Same size & weight specs, but different handle & blade. Slightly more expensive, but still fits into your budget.

Best of luck finding the right knife for your needs! :)

Last edited:
I liked my buck vantage small a lot better than my SOG flash, ymmv. I got the pro version, little more $$, s30v steel, though. one of those might be worth a shot? the flipper is a little small, you have to figure out a specific technique / finger pressure to flip it open quickly, or get some wrist action in there when you do it. good knife, though.

couple random other thoughts:
-look at the very inexpensive Ti low-rider clips from usaknifemaker.com. they may put a lot of NON-deep-pocket clip knives back on your list with a simple clip swap-out.

-for giggles, also think about maybe knifekits.com? they have some build-your-own kit knives that will be well under $50. kind of fun to do. I think most of the blades are AUS8 steel.

out of the box stuff, but it'll give you something to do while you wait for other specific knife suggestions :)

By the way, here is a picture (borrowed from the 'net) of the large and small Vantage knives. You can see the deep clip clearly here. FWIW, when mine is in my pocket, you cannot see the knife at all. Just the clip.

vantage.jpg

...-look at the very inexpensive Ti low-rider clips from usaknifemaker.com. they may put a lot of NON-deep-pocket clip knives back on your list with a simple clip swap-out...

This is an excellent point. There are plenty of choices out there that meet your needs except for the deep carry clip. Doing a clip swap might be something to consider.

Last edited:
AG Russell one hand knife. Deep carry pocket clip, G10 Bone or Cocobolo scales, titanium liners and pocket clip. VG 10 blade. ..... starting at 115 dollars. ...
Have one in my pocket right now one of my favourite knives ever.

Another knife to consider is the small version of the Buck Vantage Select.

Yea, as I said in the OP I'm considering that one. The only problem is that in Canada the small Buck Vantage Select is $35 at Canadian Tire and anywhere else you can find it, which is almost double the market price in the US. It loses a lot points in value because of that. I would pay $20 - $25 for it in a heartbeat though.

I might get it but I'd like to know if there are any more options first

Seconded on the Kershaw Cryo.

Does not meet the weight limitation.

AG Russell one hand knife. Deep carry pocket clip, G10 Bone or Cocobolo scales, titanium liners and pocket clip. VG 10 blade. ..... starting at 115 dollars. ...
Have one in my pocket right now one of my favourite knives ever.

Too expensive. I would never EDC a knife that expensive for fear of losing it. Nice knife though

The SOG Mini Aegis fits the bill, it can be found for just under $50. Also, if you decide to spend around $65, you can get a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, then call or email Benchmade and ask for a 810 Contego pocket clip. It fits the Mini Grip and provides deep carry.

I'm curious about the 2.6oz limit. That's pretty specific.

It's an arbitrary limit, but there is no reason for a knife of this size to weigh more than 70 - 75 grams (approx 2.6oz). I want my EDC to be small, light, and unobtrusive, so the lighter the better.

Kershaw Knockout? Blade is 3.25 and little bit heavier but its really slim and the blade slices everything like butter and disappears into your pocket.

The Kershaw Echelon is also not too far from your specs, and if you hate the green I suppose you could always dye it black.

The SOG Mini Aegis fits the bill, it can be found for just under $50. Also, if you decide to spend around $65, you can get a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, then call or email Benchmade and ask for a 810 Contego pocket clip. It fits the Mini Grip and provides deep carry.

I was considering the Mini Aegis for a while, but a couple things turned me off. One was how thin the tip of the blade is which makes me feel like I could chip or break it by accident. The other was the slightly higher price, as these go for $60 in Canada. I think I would sooner get another Flash I before the mini Aegis.

The mini Griptillian looks really well designed and built, but the price including both the knife and clip is a bit high and also the handle looks like it might be slightly bulkier than I'd like. sorry for being so picky :p

Perhaps I should mention that I have a Kershaw Chill that I really really like. However its fatal flaw is that it doesn't have a deep pocket clip, which prevents me from EDCing it. I feel that if it had one it would instantly be promoted to every day carry.
Anyone ever heard of or seen a deep fold-over clip for the chill?

index.php

I second the Cryo. However, the deep pocket clip is not as deep when you move it to tip up because of the lanyard hole, but its still pretty deep.

The attractive design and price point of the knife is undeniable, however I'm afraid it is simply too heavy for a knife of that size. If they went with G10 or plastic or even titanium handle scales instead of the solid steel slabs I would gladly carry it.

Back