need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

Kismet said:
Is the blade profile starting to look "Pen Knife-y?"

Some swoops on top, and the maybe saw teeth, but belly-ied like a Pen?

Maybe so?

These will be great advertising for

Dan Koster Nives and Sharpie stuffs, LLC.

Similar, but more curve to the handle and blade.

Another cool thing would be if the blade could be made out of hard steel and then at the widest part of the blade (spine to edge ) 2 sheets of softer steel could be forge welded to both sides to add weight.

:thumbup: :D :p

Ok, guys...came up with yet another rendition. Thanks for responding to these, guys. It's very informative and helpful. Hopefully I haven't worn you all down yet.

Version 6

khuktracker6a.gif

6a - added guthook....why? because I can. :p

6b - brought the overall length back to 14 inches. Added the "rounder" for DannyInJapan. More beef in the belly. Lengthened the skinner on top (more room to hold - drawknife). Unsharpened/rounded false edge returned. Sawback now parallel to the drawknife edge.

6b is definitely the most radical so far...almost sublime. I'm torn. On one hand, it is freaky! On the other hand...there is a certain morbid satisfaction lookin' at freaks!

Just FYI...I'm sure somebody's curious...I've been keeping track of the "overall bend angle", etc. too. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check here: http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/physics/Khukuri_Dynamics.html

Pic:

khuktracker6adyn.gif

(I'm not factoring the little "tail" at the end because it doesn't affect your hand position)

So, looking back to the dynamics page, this seems to compare to the 18" Gelbu Special and the 18" Sirupati, in terms of "final bend angle" and "overall bend angle"....in other words, at the "upper end" it what would be considered khukuri-ish...but not as straight-out as the Pen Knife, nor as curvy as the M43.

Works for me. ;)

I liked the others better. I hate guthooks.

Me too. Also interfer with the "draw knife" concept. But you can grind them off.

Still 2C and 3A for user for me.

But as a unique design to draw customers to your door, almost any of the others show an appreciation of the market for collectors.

Nice exercise.

I don't need a guthook either.

I think the design is a very, very good one though. I'm wanting one, butI like the first drawing, not sure about the finger keeper.

Dan's on to something great here.

Ad Astra

"And no little finger nubby." Exactly what I meant. Thanks, John.

I'm torn on the guthook, it could be useful…

If you flatten the butt, and cap it with steel, it could be used as a hammer...

Also if you drilled two holes parallel to the top of the blade between the blade of the guthook and the saw teeth, you could pick up a stick, about 5/8th in diameter from the ground, push it on to the unsharpened pointy part of the gut hook, tie it down using the holes in the blade and have basically an ULU type skinning blade. Much easier to skin with your hand near the tip in my experience, and it also makes an effective chopper for soft edible things like potatoes and carrots.

kuraa pokha, manmaa naraakha
Jeremiah

I'm still with Kismet (2C, 3A)...only with the longer guard. And no little finger nubby.

John

I still vote for 5D and 5E, as the options showing the optional sawback. I'd leave off the guthook, as it would interfere both with drawknife and baton work.

In fact, if a guthook's needed, I'd be inclined to offer it on a small karda-like companion knife that would have a hard enough back to be used as a fire striker and chakma. But that might price your offering out of your intended market.

Thanks for the input, guys. Tom - I like your idea of moving it to a companion knife. It could be "optional"...that would keep the cost down for some.

I agree with DIJ. I think 6B without the gut hook would fit the bill. Nice designs all, Dan. A flat steel pommel for hammering/skull crushing would be nice.

Maybe I'm just too simple minded to appreciate all the bells and whistles, but the more I look at 6B, the less I see a knife I'd have any use for. Guys that think they need saw teeth, gut hooks, and such, probably do, I don't. Still, it's exciting to watch this design in progress, you have the eye of a true artist Dan.

Sarge

ok...another pic:

khuktracker6def.gif

6c - refinement (not shown, not needed)

6d - guthook removed from version 6b

6e - sawback removed

6f - spine line simplified

I'm having a hard time getting excited about 6e. 6f is nice....but starts being "just another knife". :(

I agree Sarge. Most "plain" tools are really versatile - more versatile than their bells-and-whistles laden brethren. But they rely on skilled users to bring out their best qualities. How many different ways do you hold a pukko, for instance, depending on the task? I regularly use about 4, while just doing house renovations. The simple blade and plain/large handle are what makes that work.

The "tracker" knives have a certain audience, for sure - and it's canny marketing to design something for this niche. Dan's tracker is clearly going to be a really high quality (and stunningly pretty) one. Can't help but think, though, that the biggest strengths of the design will come from the explicit Khuk parentage he's bringing to it, and his exceptional workmanship.

'Cause think about what will make this design work so hard. Weight forward, deep belly, thick spine, differential hardening, 2 handed potential for drawknifing, and a forward bend to the blade that enhances chopping efficiency, coupled with a swell in the handle butt, to aid retention. Familiar, eh?

Just confirms what we already know: that khuks have gone through a centuries-long evolutionary design process in very tough conditions, to emerge as stellar and versatile outdoors knives. Add an equally stellar small knife (like one of Dan's kardas), and you're good to go.

t.

Tom...I need to hire you as a design analyst. Thank you for summing it up so nicely.

I'm going to take a break and do some thinking about "The Big Picture" before I make any more progress on this idea....which, ultimately, will need to be field-tested by a few "willing and able forum members" before it hits production. ;)

Daniel Koster said:
Tom...I need to hire you as a design analyst. /QUOTE]

A sign over my woodworking bench says "will work for tools":D It's a fun project, Dan - thanks for bringing it here for us to gnaw at.

t.

Hmmm....the less "Tracker-ish" it becomes, the more I like it.

6E and 6F are the best yet. I like 6F alot because it looks slightly easier to maintain with a small stone, but I like 6E in that it has more Ulu-ish influence,which is a good thing in my mind. 6E is starting to look more like a Szabo Hells Canyon than a Tracker though. Im not at all a fan of the sawback or the guthook. they both take away user friendliness for overall camp chores. a small knife companion knife should be able to make notches and such every bit as good, if not better than a saw. Also, if your quartering a moose or something, the knife itself is heavy enough to hack with, right? once again negating the usefulness of a saw. I feel the saw would interfere in the situations that I like to grip a blade itself to choke up on the knife.

The Guthook is probably alright on a dedicated game knife, but as I understand it, the influence we're seeking is more of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" and such a knife would see alot more use around campfires and such than in cleaning game.

To me, the only real assets offered by a Tracker are the drawknife, and the weight forward design, which those two accomplish extremely well, and do away with the frivolous qualities.

I think your knife design has become a winner. One I'd RATHER have than an authentic tracker.

I think 6e and 6d are probably the best so far, whilst still keeping to the tracker look

A swedge of some description might be nice :)

Back