need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

Ok...I have a few of these done now. They have all passed the "twice through a 2x4, still shave hair" test. I decided to make two variations of it as well.

So, here's what I'm going to do:

I have three versions of this knife:

Pic of my table at the Blade Show:
attachment.php

(top to bottom)

• 1 - "Everything on it"
  • 2 - No sawback
  • 3 - "Plain Jane" = no sawback, no raised false edge, no secondary grind

I'm also going to have it in two handle materials: cocobolo & G-10

And three different blade finishes:

• 1 - sandblast + FeCl etch
  • 2 - "aged finished"
  • 3 - gunkote finish (gray/silver)

Lastly, I'll have sheaths in kydex as well as leather...vertical as well as horizontal.

If possible, I'd like to also secure a Tom Brown Tracker as well as a 15" BAS and/or a 14" BDC for comparison purposes.

So....the idea is to put this all in a box for a passaround and get some people to wail on them...put them to the test. I won't expect you to try every feature on every knife....but the more you can do, the better.

I honestly want to know what features work and which ones don't.

There's a lot of "talk" about what should work and what wouldn't (by both knife-buyers as well as knife-makers)...but I want it to be backed up by actual experience and testing... Hopefully by now it should be obvious that I'm open to your ideas and suggestions. If you can back it up with results, I'll be even more interested. ;)

This should end up being a fun, but hard-working passaround. Who knows...it might end in a giveaway of one of the models. :eek:

It will be kinda pricey for shipping (probably $15-20)...just FYI. But think about what you get in return. :D Cantina members will get the first spots...but I'm also going to open it up to others via the Passaround Forum (where the thread will reside - though comments in this thread are also welcome).

No pride is going to be hurt...no feelings tenderized...frankly, I want to see it tested heavily...and welcome honest, thought-out comments. Yes, I do risk losing a lot of hard work...but it will be worth it for me. I'd like to have 10-12 people involved in the passaround...I'll post the link here when I finally get it started.

In the meantime...anybody got a Tracker they'd like to loan to the cause? :p

Attachments

• WSK012.jpg
    WSK012.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 262
Daniel Koster said:

If possible, I'd like to also secure a Tom Brown Tracker as well as a 15" BAS and/or a 14" BDC for comparison purposes.

So....the idea is to put this all in a box for a passaround and get some people to wail on them...put them to the test. I won't expect you to try every feature on every knife....but the more you can do, the better.

I honestly want to know what features work and which ones don't.

There's a lot of "talk" about what should work and what wouldn't (by both knife-buyers as well as knife-makers)...but I want it to be backed up by actual experience and testing... Hopefully by now it should be obvious that I'm open to your ideas and suggestions. If you can back it up with results, I'll be even more interested. ;)

This should end up being a fun, but hard-working passaround. Who knows...it might end in a giveaway of one of the models. :eek:

It will be kinda pricey for shipping (probably $15-20)...just FYI. But think about what you get in return. :D Cantina members will get the first spots...but I'm also going to open it up to others via the Passaround Forum (where the thread will reside - though comments in this thread are also welcome).

No pride is going to be hurt...no feelings tenderized...frankly, I want to see it tested heavily...and welcome honest, thought-out comments. Yes, I do risk losing a lot of hard work...but it will be worth it for me. I'd like to have 10-12 people involved in the passaround...I'll post the link here when I finally get it started.

:p

well, count me first in line :)

i have a BAS for sale ;) i'm guess a lot of people have a BAS of their own to use - save on postage.

i also have a 14 BDC i could use for my local testing - i haven't cut anything yet but would be loathe to include that in a pass around - i just got it ;) i also have a becker machaxe i'd probably compare yours to as well (especially seeing as how one can't buy a new machaxe anymore; it'll be an interesting if strange comparison).

i'd recommend a sturdy box, or a hard liner, packing and unpacking and lots of jostling... mmm. i know USPS has a one price box - i wonder if a smaller box that could hold all the blades would work?

mmm. chop chop :>

and incidentally, what are we talking for the different models when you get around to making/selling? pm me if you want.

bladite

I got one of the "Plane Jane" ones with a cocobolo handle. NOT PLANE JANE. Awesome blade Dan.

let the testing begin...

going camping shortly, have a big GRS and the WSK and some other things... yar. woods.

bladite

very interested in your results - good AND bad.

unless you chopped up concrete block with it....then I'll just smile and stick out my tongue.

:p

aproy1101 said:
Mine chops concrete blocks no problem.....
LOL. (JOKING)

i was cutting up rebar and steel stock with mine, and notching it for traps and snares. godzilla steaks are awesome...

more later when i decompress

bladite

Very cool Dan. I really like the "plain jane" one. Looks to be a real pleasure to use.

aproy1101 - I left the front of yours heavier than the others. How's it handle? Do you wish it were lighter?

On the flip side, bladite - yours is fully tapered. Do you wish you had more beef out toward the tip? I'm concerned I may have tapered it too much. I think the next one I'm going to do only slight tapering for comparison.

So many decisions...good thing I have a lot of steel!

Daniel Koster said:
aproy1101 - I left the front of yours heavier than the others. How's it handle? Do you wish it were lighter?
On the flip side, bladite - yours is fully tapered. Do you wish you had more beef out toward the tip? I'm concerned I may have tapered it too much. I think the next one I'm going to do only slight tapering for comparison.

i've only had limited use so far; my 4 day trip was 3 days of rain, so i never got to do my demos/workshop - i'll have to take to the local woods with a backpack of goodies next week (i'm expecting a becker patrol machete and machaxe, and a gerber brush thinner).

i did notice that my WSK doesn't do that balance trick, it's slightly weight forward, if i hold with index finger in the first hole, it's very balanced and feels good - the LONG handle i love, i can reach way back and use speed to generate some good chops.

i DID use it some, and i think i amused some people. i can't tell if they thought the WSK and it's exoticness or the 18 inch GRS were scarier; then again, several people though that splitting wood, and actually having the piece FLY was awesome - same with chopping with the axe or GRS - chunks just flying all over. i got many logs in half, then split them. a FEW pictures of that. sadly, i was mostly "action guy" and not so much "stop and take pictures guy", had to keep warm. maybe some others took pictures. we shall see. i think i was even wearing my utilikilt.

bladite

Sign me up, Dan. I'll take them to the ranch and give them a proper workout.
Terry

Suggestion for the companion knife:

Flat ground, and make it thin! it doesn't need to be able to pry anything - it needs to cut efficiently. Like a small kitchen knife. The big knife should be able to handle all the hard tasks, no need for a strong companion - just for one that has other advantages - superior cutting abilities for small tasks.

Nope perfect. It needs that extra weight to make up for the hole that is missing in the belly. BTW what is that for? As far as handling it handles perfectly. Unfortunately it is spoiling me rotton and I'm having trouble using anything else. Also, I love the scabbard. You've sold me on Kydex for large knives. Its light and strong. You get an A++ on this one sir. I'm an even bigger fan now.

Daniel Koster said:

Ok....got the companion finished.

Here it is:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wanted to make it thin - so it could ride easily in a combo sheath...or on its own in an In-The-Waistband sheath.

Having owned and seen more than a few hundred different khukuris so far...I've begun paying more and more attention to the kardas...most I'm not crazy about...but some I really like. For this knife, I set out to make something inspired by kardas like these:

yhst-7333098713883_1801_3085238

yhst-7333098713883_1801_2868888

(and others I can't seem to find the pics of...:()

Anyway...let me know what you think!

mmm. those are neat, will have to gander them more in the AM when i'm not dead... my creative mind right now wants to see lashing holes in the handle... yes!

i take your meaning on the sheath that somehow one could bolt one to an existing kydex sheath? neat!

where's my matching rosewood one? :) and how much for the upgrade for the loyal customers (psst, andy, you know you want one two)

zzzz

bladite

Karda is neat - the handle is reminiscent of coffin-handle bowies. Different from the traditional flared base. Did you consider a full finger choil rather than a small choil and single guard? I thought briefly about some handle contouring (swell near the middle), but the handle is probably a bit short to really position your hand well with a swell, and it would make sheathing difficult. I like the tip and the primary grind line.

Thanks for the comments guys! :thumbup:

I had some time today to do a kydex combo sheath and here are the results. Let me know what you think!

attachment.php

With the help of the "KydExpert" Tom Krein...I figured out a way to set it up so that each sheath can stand on its own as well as be tethered together.

The larger sheath has the proper rivets for horizontal and vertical carry - as well as canted (two different angles - steepest shown in pic).

The smaller sheath is set up to use the In-The-Waistband TekLok on the top, or regular size on the bottom (for horizontal or vertical carry).

When tethered together, the whole package is only 1" thick (from front to back including handles) and weighs 29 ounces - including the TekLok.

Anybody have the overall sheathed weight for a 15" BAS for comparison?

It was tricky at first trying to get the top sheath mounted in a way that would allow it to be drawn on its own - but now it's solved.

Attachments

• WSKsheath01.jpg
    WSKsheath01.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 508
Back