Need some info on these models...

Hi-

I've got some questions concerning the Harpy, Merlin, Civilian, and Matriarch.

I've seen the Harpy listed with stainless, g-10, and Zytel handles. What kind of blade steel on these, and how is the Harpy different from the Merlin? Were any ever made with a plain edge?

How many different versions of the Civilian were/are there? And what exactly is the Matriarch? Again, any versions offered in plain edge?

Finally, of these "beaked" Spydies, which is your favorite and why?

Thanks-

clip

Well the one I like the best is the one I'm carrying to church this morning. The Matriarch.
The Harpy came first in stainless steel. Both serrated and a plain version. The Merlin was the zytel version of the Harpy(I think). Now I believe its just the Harpy in G-10, Zytel, and Stainless. All serrated.
The Civilian has been through 3 evolutions(I think) It has been offered in a plain edge in the past. Now the only one being made is a G-10 version, serrated. (Once again, I think. Someone will correct me, because I know I don't have it exactly right.
smile.gif
)
The Matriarch is a blade shape like the Civilian, but smaller and with a slightly different tip. The handle for the Matriarch is an Endura 98 handle. A legal sized Civilian in my opinion. At least for my state. Hope this helps.

Blades

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 03-19-2000).]

Just a small correction to Blades' comments about the Merlin and the Harpy. They share similar blades but the Merlin uses the same FRN (Zytel?) handle as the Delica. The Harpy is now only available in stainless as the G10 version has been discontinued. Not sure about the blade steel in the stainless Harpy but the G10 uses ATS55. I have the G10 Harpy and like it a lot, as do many others around here. Smokey Mountain Knife Works was doing a great closeout deal on them and I believe they may still have some left.

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

From my sketchy knowledge base I can add that the Civilian did come in plainedge versions of the al and G10 handles but they are super hard to find, and that the matriarch (an excellent church knife) came in black or grey handles
smile.gif

Back