New Blade

got my new knife!! thanks guys! one question tho.. it acquired some surface rust during shipping.. any advice on how to best remove it? love the knife tho! very satisfied
Steel wool and Flitz works great for minor rust. Might need lots of elbow grease depending on the severity. For deeper rust I use a dremel* w/ polishing wheels.

I had some surface rust on order that arrived late May. The knives were shipped inside their sheaths, which might have been the cause**. IIRC prior knives I received from Kailash had the blades plastic wrapped on top of the sheath.

*If there's rust at the edge, ensure the bit rotation is away from the edge.
**Steel fittings were unaffected.

I use standard Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) often for minor rust on my kitchen knives. This is what I use most of the time, in part because I have it stored under the sink close by.
I sometimes will use a magic eraser type sponge (melamine foam) because... I have a big bag of generic ones to use up. (I don't recall the hardness of the melamine compared to steels though... I know it is not hard enough to scratch most glass... It might be hard enough to scratch steels.)

Flitz, as Skyfish0 suggested, is almost certainly a better recommendation, especially if the metal is already polished.

got my new knife!! thanks guys! one question tho.. it acquired some surface rust during shipping.. any advice on how to best remove it? love the knife tho! very satisfied
Glad to hear you're happy with the blade! This kind of thing does happen from time to time but we've not had much luck with altering our processes to get a better result. We've given multiple oils a crack, shipping inside and outside the sheath and surface treatments pre oiling. So far nothing has worked better than our standard processes. We've been chasing VCI paper as a packable corrosion inhibitor while shipping but importing into Nepal has proven an absolute nightmare recently.
My suggestions are scotch brite for a satin finished blade. If there's discoloration left then a quick 15 min rub with 50/50 white vinegar and water will unify the finish nicely. For polish then it depends on where you are in the world. Brasso works wonders here and preliminary work can be done with scotch brite or even steel wool depending on the depth of corrosion.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Back