New chopper for this year

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I've been wanting to make up a new model chopper/camp knife with a 10" blade for awhile now. This new one will be 15" overall, 10" blade 9 3/4" cutting edge made from 3/16" thick by 2" wide A2 steel. I don't have the design worked up yet but it will be a modified WST handle with a choiless Tusker blade.
Scott

I've done alot of thinking about a knife this size. There are quite a few big knives out there that have wasted space. One example that comes to mind is the RTAK. It is 17" overall. There is at least an inch wasted space at the ricasso. The cutting edge is 9 3/4". The handle being 6" is overkill IMHO. I've found a 5" handle is plenty for a full grip. You want a big blade to be blade heavy to aid in downward momentum when chopping.
Scott

Cool this might be the on that moves me over to the big blade dark side. How are you Heat Treating them.

Stop it Scott, now you'll have me adding this one to my order, too! ;)

Can't wait to see this one!

I'll have the blade profiled and ground later today. I'll post pics next to the Big Boar Tusker. I was amazed at how this new one dwarfs the Tusker. Being a 1/4" wider and 2 inches longer really makes a big difference.
Scott

Here's the blade next to my Tusker.
Scott

Picture384.jpg

Scott that looks amazing! what is the weight differance? I know your Big Boar Tusker is 1/4 inch thick and your new chopper is 3/16.Looks like a true winning design. That paired with your PSK could handle any chore the wilderness could throw at them!

Mike

SHS, come by the shop week after next and you can see it. ;)
Mike, actually this one is 1/4" thick because I had the steel on hand. I'm too impatient to wait for the 3/16" steel I'd have to order. :D It is a hand full. It will be over 2 pounds I'm sure. I'm putting black canvas micarta scales on it and I'm going to use my RTAK sheath for it. I've been wanting to find a replacement for the RTAK and this will be it.
BTW, this thing took 1 hour 40 minutes to grind. :eek:
Scott

Awesome....I call first dibs (or at least please put me on the list for one) ;) Man that is a great looking knife

WOW! THAT IS PRETTY BIG BROTHA! I really like it! Should be a great working blade.

Looks like another winner for us!! For a name, how about the "Mother Tusker." LOL! Let me think, The Gossman Field Tool or GFT for short. I like it.
Mike

Back