NEW cold steel throwers OMG

You can still buy them at Tru Bal knives for $75.00 each

That raises the question about the 30 yr. old ones bought from Harry when he was very much alive.
Is there any way to identifiy the old from the new or do they just have the same value? Thanks for your patience,Darr :confused:

There are subtle differences that the owner of Tru Bal of a collector like my self can see. I own quite a few Tru Bal knives They are marked exactly the same way since Harry was making them. His son has been making them for 15 years now, so they are actually the same knife. Except for certain Vietnam era ones they stay about the same price. Beware, everyone on E Bay has a Vietnam era for sale.

I dont have all the facts on this, but isnt AG Russell permanently pissed off at Cold Steel because LT ripped off Bob Lum's tanto design?

Just one more angle on the ongoing issue.

well, I have been impressed with cs stuff for a while now, owning many of their knives, and I think if they want to make some less expensive alternatives, then go ahed. Companies have copied knife design for years, and I think the only reason that people are getting upset at CS is because theyr good at making knives. If I want a knife for just the name, then ya Ill buy the tru-bal. But for a knife that im going to be throwing, and thus abusing, ill take the less expensive one every time.

He does it part time. He is an insurance executive for a large company and travels a lot. There is very little money to be made in the throwing knife business. Especially if they are hand crafted like he and I make them.

well, I have been impressed with cs stuff for a while now, owning many of their knives, and I think if they want to make some less expensive alternatives, then go ahed. Companies have copied knife design for years, and I think the only reason that people are getting upset at CS is because theyr good at making knives. If I want a knife for just the name, then ya Ill buy the tru-bal. But for a knife that im going to be throwing, and thus abusing, ill take the less expensive one every time.

Congratulations. your lack of integrity (not to mention knowledge) makes you the perfect CS customer.

He does it part time. He is an insurance executive for a large company and travels a lot. There is very little money to be made in the throwing knife business. Especially if they are hand crafted like he and I make them.
Thats cool. I wasn't being sarcastic, i do apreciate the phone number as i have been searching for ANY Tru-balance contact info. So thanks.
Do you sell the throwing knives that you make or is it just a hobby?
Got any pics/links or a website showing your work?
:)

I make knives for a living. I learned how to make throwing knives from Harry McEvoy. He has had quite a bit of influence on my designs. I bought four designs from him when I first started out.
You can visit my three web sites in my sig line.
www.brantonknives.com

You say that until someone copies something that belongs to you. Cold Steel makes great products, but I have to cry foul on this one because the founder and current owner (second generation) were and are friends of mine and I will tell Lynn to his face. I know Lynn and have always gotten along with him. I just think he is wrong on this one.
BB

I dont have all the facts on this, but isnt AG Russell permanently pissed off at Cold Steel because LT ripped off Bob Lum's tanto design?

Just one more angle on the ongoing issue.

ship:

don't be silly, how can you be permanently pissed at a 12-14 year old who never grows up. You have to feel sorry for them. Or at least sorry for their parents.

I like the CS products a lot cause they are pretty tough and more importantly I can afford them. I'd like to get one of those throwing bowies myself, but not if it comes by way of stealing another's design. If the law says lynn can make it then great. Hopefully he'll be able to work something out with the original designer (compensation at least). AS A CONSUMER I like it when someone can come out with a knife that is in my price range, still good quality, even though it is not as good as the handmade originals. And yes, Lynn should have gone to the original designers and asked, at least out of respect, before trying to pull a fast one. It sounds like he didn't. I hate to hear this cause I've been a big fan of CS for a looong time, but this sort of thing really taints that love affair.

I like CS knives ,my Tru flight in Carbon V is one of my favorite knives but I will not buy any more of their stuff because I don't like the way they do business.
Also the new steel's stink and the prices have gone way up.
I would like a sharkie but will stick to my principals. There are better choices than CS for amost everything they make now anyway.

Maybe slightly off topic here, but SIRGALANT mentioned a "mall ninja". This is not the first time I have seen this term used in these forums. Please pardon my ignorance but, what the heck is a "mall ninja"? More on topic, does Tru-Bal have a catalog?

Maybe slightly off topic here, but SIRGALANT mentioned a "mall ninja". This is not the first time I have seen this term used in these forums. Please pardon my ignorance but, what the heck is a "mall ninja"?
Definitely use our search function for mall ninja, and hang on. Quite a ride.

here is the original mall ninja
now back on topic, I was planning on buying the cold steel canadian belt knife until I found out it was a copy. It's so much cheaper than the original that I am really tempted to buy it, because I really like the blade shape. But if I knew it was ripped off I wouldn't be able to use it without feeling bad.

Can we get back to the REAL irony? They ripped off OKAPI...FREEEEEKING OKAPI. What the HELL? Whats next, a rip off of the United Cuttlery ninja ring?

SaMX the real Grohman belt knife is awesome. It is the issue knife of the canadian military and is one of the most practical issue knives out there.
You can save a few bucks and get the Grohman as a kit but only if you like stuff like that. If you like the blade shape a lot you will want the original. It is very well made and is also one of the most sheeple friendly fixed blades(and it's a military knife!).

oh come one, dont nock okapi :p
theyer fine knives, ... shure they cost less than a single meal at mc :S donalds , but they are bloody good knives, the one i have now has saved my arse 2 times already,, well dont know if it saved it, but lets say i found it handy,
true though when cold steel copies okapi and nocks them at the same time, its sad,
aspecialy as they dont realy sell the things outside of africa..........
crazy sht

Back