NEW CRK Impofu

Saw one today at a huge gun show here. #496. $550.00

Beautiful version of the Pacific on steroids.

I ALMOST pulled the trigger...........

Can anybody explain to me what this half hole beside the lanyard hole is about?
What´s the function except hurting in my hand when taking the knife out of the sheath...
Bottle Opener? :D

A little necropost, but I am thinking about grabbing an Impofu before they are all gone. I'm wondering if that hollow ground edge can handle some big blade abuse. Other than chopping and batoning, I like to take a blade of this size and do two handed wood scraping. One hand on the grip, and one on the spine of the blade near the tip, and at a 90 degree angle strip wood shavings off a log to make kindling. This creates a lot of lateral stress on a blade edge, and I have had poorly made blades either roll their edge, or a section of the blade edge actually bends to the side. A flat ground blade like a Trail Master will handle this task no problem. Anyone done this with an Impofu?.......or at least, anyone who owns an Impofu think that its hollow grind can handle this task?

A little necropost, but I am thinking about grabbing an Impofu before they are all gone. I'm wondering if that hollow ground edge can handle some big blade abuse. Other than chopping and batoning, I like to take a blade of this size and do two handed wood scraping. One hand on the grip, and one on the spine of the blade near the tip, and at a 90 degree angle strip wood shavings off a log to make kindling. This creates a lot of lateral stress on a blade edge, and I have had poorly made blades either roll their edge, or a section of the blade edge actually bends to the side. A flat ground blade like a Trail Master will handle this task no problem. Anyone done this with an Impofu?.......or at least, anyone who owns an Impofu think that its hollow grind can handle this task?

I've been eyeing the Impofu as well, but at that price ($600) you have to come to terms that you are paying $200 for the usefulness of the knife, and the other $400 for the fact it's a beautiful object made by CRK.

If you goal is practical woodsman tasks, you could buy two (or perhaps 3) totally functional, and gorgeous, Bark River Goloks for the same price, that have a fantastic convex edge that simply murders wood. I do the kind of work you describe from time to time with my Golok, and it's fabulous. Having said that, I still want an Impofu, but doubt it will process wood better for the extra money.

My Golok hanging with my old pivot Umnum:

DSCF8815_zpsf24c4411.jpg

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Impofu as well, but at that price you have to come to terms that you are paying $200 for the usefulness of the knife, and the other $400 for the fact it's a beautiful object made by CRK.

If you goal is practical woodsman tasks, you could buy two (or perhaps 3) totally functional, and gorgeous, Bark River Goloks for the same price, that have a fantastic convex edge that simply murders wood. I do the kind of work you describe from time to time with my Golok, and it's fabulous. Having said that, I still want an Impofu, but doubt it will process wood better for the extra money.

Oh, I think I would be hesitant to put too much lateral stress on that hollow grind, but I love the quality of CRKs and salivate at the idea of having a CRK bowie. Just wanted to know how far this blade as been pushed to give me more piece of mind.

I'd like to buy an Impofu to try the thing out. It's just a little bit more than I can afford for an experiment. I've done quite a bit of testing with other knives, and I now agree with others that you really can't beat a true convex edge for wood processing. They cut into the wood aggressively, and are tough and durable as well. It's not necessarily the best profile for everything in life, but as far as having fun in the bush, and for fire building, the outdoors is really "home turf" for the convex knife. The Golok is really a fun purchase. Just make sure you pack a first-aid kit before you start swinging it at everything in sight! :D

Last edited:
I'd like to buy an Impofu to try the thing out. It's just a little bit more than I can afford for an experiment. I've done quite a bit of testing with other knives, and I now agree with others that you really can't beat a true convex edge for wood processing. They cut into the wood aggressively, and are tough as durable as well. It's not necessarily the best profile for everything in life, but as far as having fun in the bush, and for fire building, the outdoors is really "home turf" for the convex knife. The Golok is really a fun purchase. Just make sure you pack a first-aid kit before you start swinging it at everything in sight! :D

I may have to give that Golok a try. I'm hoping Chris continues making blades in that large hollow grind configuration. I love it in my Sebby 25. I'm thinking it might be great in a smaller 4-5" bushcraft knife. Like I said.....I'm just a little worried about the strength of that Impofu full hollow grind.

I just layaway'd my Impofu tonight :) #499/500
Hopefully it'll be paid off in a week or two. I can't (wont) normally spend $600 in one pop on a knife but being able to make a couple smaller payments really lessens the shell shock. I'll have my first one piece on Monday, an Aviator and this Impofu soon afterwards...im ecstatic to say the least!

0e25c35f3547358c2f36af8bfa799b5a.jpg

Hopefully it'll be paid off in a week or two. I can't (wont) normally spend $600 in one pop on a knife but being able to make a couple smaller payments really lessens the shell shock. I'll have my first one piece on Monday, an Aviator and this Impofu soon afterwards...im ecstatic to say the least!

Congrats buddy! Wish they'd make a Pacific with plain edge and 3V as well...

Congrats buddy! Wish they'd make a Pacific with plain edge and 3V as well...
Yeah that'd be the one I would have bought in a heartbeat but this will have to do. Hopefully it's popular enough that Mr Reeve makes a couple others in 3V. Can you imagine a Tanto I, Mountaineer or MK IV in 3V?!

wow! Looks awesome, and to know you have #499 is pretty cool imo. Im waiting for a good opportunity to use mine and not look back. Knowing crk can refurbish helps too.

wow! Looks awesome, and to know you have #499 is pretty cool imo. Im waiting for a good opportunity to use mine and not look back. Knowing crk can refurbish helps too.

Mine has some very light handling marks already although it's brand new from my certified dealer. I think it's been fondled by many window shoppers and I don't mind, it'll make it that much easier to put my own marks on it!
Expensive for a knife that will get used twice a year other than just to play with it but with CRK's warranty I'm not worried about using it. I don't use any knives to an extent that they'd break, especially this 3V monster.

Chris Reeve Impofu #481 in the field

IMG_0931.jpg

Firestarting sticks - morning essential stuff in winter time. Yeah, I actually use the #481

IMG_0929.jpg

Chop chop! Awesome looking beast!

IMG_0932.jpg

Back