New design

Bobby Branton

This is a new design that I have been working on with Walter. I was looking for a piece that will compliment the Branton / Brend Hatchet.

The idea is to make a knife that is a combat proven design and keep it simple to make. By keeping it simple, we can use a quality steel such as D-2 or S30-V. The knife can be used as is or you can wrap it to your liking with a piece of paracord that will be supplied. It will come with a quality sheath and it may be offer in either 3/16ths or 1/4 inch stock. I will have two prototypes at The Blade Show in each size. The blade is 6 1/2 inches and approx 12.5 overall and can be had with a variety of finishes. I want to keep this under $200.00. Blade steel and finish will affect the price. I would love to get your input.

Attachments

• skeleton # 2 proto.jpg
    skeleton # 2 proto.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 947
Looks to be a Model 2 without handle slabs. Looks good, but I prefer the looks of the fully handled version and would be willing to pay the extra cost.

That's a really great idea.
I have an idea too! What about offering different colored paracord?

silenthunterstudios said:
I like it but the design has been used before. Is this for throwing or utility?

I really don't understand what you mean by "it has been used before"
Yes, Walter has made this design for 25 years and I have made it for two as a midtech project with Walter. What I am saying that it is a new design for my company. Not a new concept or new to the knife world. Yes, there are plenty of skeleton knives with holes and para cord available, but not a Brend design other than the small neck knife that he made a few years back.
No, it is not a throwing knife, it is a utility combat knife.

Good feed back, keep it coming. I'd really like to hear from some guys who have been to Iraq to see what they would like to see or not see.

BB

Looks sweet, I would be interested in one! I like the small mini sub hilt look, very cool. Also the angle of the butt. Looks way cool. Is the top edge sharpened? I would like to see that as an option, and let people choose. I personally would like a sharpened top edge.

I like it Bobby. My only problem is the size of it. The same knife with a 4.0" to 4.5" blade, in 3/16ths, would be more to MY liking. Anyway you look at it, it is still another cool design in the Walter Brend style.

Btw, will it be marked with the Confederate battle flag as Walters other stuff?

recurvefighter.jpg

attachment.php

I can't see this not hurting your hands after extended or even daily use considering its size. Surely some kind of covering other than cord is preferable.

I must agree with other posters - that handle style does not lend itself to a comfortable cord-wrap. If you want to keep it inexpensive & a valuable military tool, I'd say go with a cheaper but decent steel & spend some $$ putting scales on it. There are just too many angles for it to be comfortable without some ergo-rounded scales . . . which will add to the production costs quite a bit. Maybe look for some cheaper scale alternatives, like kraton or the dreaded dymondwood or something?

But that's all hypothetical just from looking at the pic. I would suggest trying to wrap one of those yourself, then taking it out and using it for a day. That will tell for sure whether wrapping is a practical option.

Another thought about the steel - your military guys won't be steel snobs to the extent we are on the forum - I'm sure there must be very decent steel for the applications it's meant for that would be reasonably priced - O-1 perhaps? Or 440C?

I think it is beautiful, but would request slightly longer handle. To me, it look a little bit cramped.

Looks really cool to me. My only suggestion would be to make the smaller diameter holes big enough to accept standard size handle bolts, like the ones sold on knifekits.com. That way if customers don't like the skelton design all they have to do is buy material for scales, some bolts and a little expoxy and presto, they have a custom designed handle made exactly the way they want. In all other respects I really like the design and especially the target price. I know I'd buy one.

Lagarto

lagarto said:
Looks really cool to me. My only suggestion would be to make the smaller diameter holes big enough to accept standard size handle bolts, like the ones sold on knifekits.com. That way if customers don't like the skelton design all they have to do is buy material for scales, some bolts and a little expoxy and presto, they have a custom designed handle made exactly the way they want. In all other respects I really like the design and especially the target price. I know I'd buy one.

Lagarto

I'd have to say the opposite, I think the holes look very proportioned just the way they are now. Great looking knife. Hope to see one in person before your proto's sell at the show :)

If you leave it uncovered, I'd spend a little extra $$ to bevel down all the handle edges, or maybe even round them off completely. It's a nice design, but if the handle is all angular, it might hurt without any wrapping.

Sorry if this is a dumb ? Mr Branton, but I was wondering if this knife ever came to fruition? I'm not too familiar w/your line of knives so it could be out & I havent seen it but was just wondering bc I'd REALLY like to have that classic Brend look in a knife less than $200!!!

If they are available where can I pick one up? : )

Back