New Doug Ritter folder

I just balanced it on a metal garden post and shot the pic from directly above so you can't see the post below.

As far as the dye wearing, I'm curious to see as well. I've carried a dyed Military for a while and it's held the color just fin but this knife has a bit more texture so maybe it will show wear a bit more. I think if the orange starts peeking out again it might look kinda cool. I'll update if it shows significant change since this knife is a user. It's a great knife and I'm really enjoying carrying it.

After owning this gen 2(one orange and one black) as well as the gen 1 ritter grip, I wonder what's the rationale of having a thicker blade behind the edge on gen 2. Really missing my gen 1, which unfortunately I sold.

If it is not too late, I hope mini gen 2 comes out with thinner BTE just like gen 1.

double_trouble_600.jpg

I'm going to stick with my mini Freek, I know the Ritter has better steel and handle material but I prefer a satin blade and the extra length that the blade and handle gives me on the mini Freek.
Plus I got my Mini Freek for 50.00 cheaper.

Just ordered a Mini-RSK in black. I've been waiting for this one! My 555-1 might be losing a little pocket time.

Critter Critter - Did hogue switch to 301 stainless liners or has it always been the case?
This is concerning especially when used as the structural components because 301 is not martensitic and cannot be heat treated. It’s fine if it’s just liners but in this case it’s part of the component that the ABLE lock bar is riding on and transferring the load to.
Btw this is not a theoretical problem. It happened to another US manufacturer- Millit knives with their Perpetua model through their their collaboration with Massdrop. The initial run of Perpetua was using 301/302 steel and many people(including me) had experienced liners deforming/gauging in the axis lock area where the lock bar is contacting. There’s also bad centering issues. Someone would literally put the knife in their back pocket, sit on it and slightly bend the handle enough to cause centering issue due to the soft liner.
Based on the reports of these issues Millit moved to 4XX steel for the liners and clip in their 2nd run.
For reference, benchmade uses 410SS steel for their liners, they mentioned it in their catalog, it used to be 420. I’ve never experienced liners deformation with Benchmade, the first time is with Millit because of the 3xx liners.

Last edited:
Critter Critter - Did hogue switch to 301 stainless liners or has it always been the case?
This is concerning especially when used as the structural components because 301 is not martensitic and cannot be heat treated. It’s fine if it’s just liners but in this case it’s part of the component that the ABLE lock bar is riding on and transferring the load to.
Btw this is not a theoretical problem. It happened to another US manufacturer- Millit knives with their Perpetua model through their their collaboration with Massdrop. The initial run of Perpetua was using 301/302 steel and many people(including me) had experienced liners deforming/gauging in the axis lock area where the lock bar is contacting. There’s also bad centering issues. Someone would literally put the knife in their back pocket, sit on it and slightly bend the handle enough to cause centering issue due to the soft liner.
Based on the reports of these issues Millit moved to 4XX steel for the liners and clip in their 2nd run.
For reference, benchmade uses 410SS steel for their liners, they mentioned it in their catalog, it used to be 420. I’ve never experienced liners deformation with Benchmade, the first time is with Millit because of the 3xx liners.

Some additional info about this, after digging through some posts. Shane from Millit mentioned that the liners from the Perpetua model were made from 304ss and it’s at 35hrc hardness. Their “axis” lockbar is at 45hrc hardness. They initially thought the hardness difference was small enough to prevent gauging, but admitted that in practice it’s too soft. If the RSK MK1 G2 axis bar is hard enough to handle the 20cv blade, I suspect it’ll be too hard for the 301ss which is similar to 304.
Another thing to consider for 301ss liners is that you have body screws directly to the liner to hold it on the handle. It could potentially strip more easily.

Anyone know what the handle thickness is on the new mini RSK? Just wondering how it compares to the G10 Mini Grips.

Back