New EDC prototypes - yes, there's TWO

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Check 'em out, guys!

Here are TWO of the latest and greatest EDC design. The only difference between them is blade length (3 and 3.5 inches).

Here are some specs:

(top)
8.25" overall
3.5" blade, 3/16" thick O1, Drilled Tang, Hollow Grind, Swedge
4.75" handle, Natural Canvas Micarta, Heavily Bead Blasted, 1 pin, 1 lanyard, Contoured Handle

(bottom)
7.75" overall
3" blade, 3/16" thick O1, Drilled Tang, Hollow Grind, Swedge
4.75" handle, Black Canvas Micarta, Heavily Bead Blasted, 1 pin, 1 lanyard, Contoured Handle

PIC =

EDCv6-1012-01.jpg

Biggest improvement is the Hollow Grind done on a 14" wheel for a nice shallow concave grind, but noticeably thinner than a full flat grind.

NEXT Biggest Improvement is a 1/4" added to the length of the handle and the the whole handle "angled" up more so it is "straighter" from butt to tip.

Feel free to ask questions or make comments!!

:thumbup:

Dan

And yes, I do plan on offering these in blade lengths from 3 to 4.5 inches. ;)

I'll see if I can get more pics later. In the meantime, be sure to let me know what you guys think!

Dan

I like the look of the Blade to Handle ratio on the 3.5 much better than originals. Plus, the 3.5 is right in line with WV carry laws. I can't wait to see a run of these.

Perfect size as they are I think. My eyes are attracted to the 3 inch, but my brain says 3.5 is better...decisions, decisions

Dan, those look awesome. I would carry something like that everyday for sure. Great design. I really like the 3.5, but he 3 is nice as well.

Those are great little knives Dan. I would carry either one but due to the rule of law where I live, I would have to go with the 3" for EDC.

I like the handle ratio.
I'll go for the 3.5 as well.

Did I hear "Damascus" mentioned? :D

JH

Last edited:
I'm glad you got rid of the sharpening hole/choil or whatever you call it in your proto. I can't stand those things.
EDCPrototype0805-04.jpg

I'd go for something bigger, and in stainless of some sort, I figure that sort of knife will be living around the neck/in a pocket.

These are just prototypes - doing them in O1 makes them quick-n-easy to whip up.

The "official" version is going to be offered in 3V or D2.

The handle-to-blade ratio is not as visually appealing as some....but you have to remember that this knife was designed from the get-go as an answer to the "How much Blade & How much Handle can you stuff into an EDC knife?" question. ;)

Visually speaking, even the 3.5" blade looks stumpy...BUT...how many of us have smaller EDC knives that have a "3-finger handle" and are very impractical for "real work"?!?

I have been passing these around non-knife-knut folks to get reactions too.

Not because I think I'm brilliant and have come up with the perfect design...but because I want real feedback. I want the real answer. Not just some made-up idea that may or may not work. "Looks pretty" but unusable.

Carpenters, electricians, computer-science guys, guides, office employees....I have had over a year to test this out very, very carefully with all of the above and more. My passarounds have been centered around usability and practicality...not around looks or potential sales I might get. I have also been carrying this very knife myself nearly this entire time. It has been MY EDC and I've LOTS of time to use it and think about it over and over again.

If you guys haven't had a chance, pull up the old thread mentioned above and have a look, as well as the various passarounds and other prototypes.

I believe this one is version 7....?!?

And I have made 11 or 12 of them so far - most have been passed along to others or kept by me or destroyed. I have yet to put this into production because I want it *just right*. Not perfect, but *just right*.

And I want it to answer the question posed above.

I do believe there are other knives by other makers that would make for lighter EDCs...or easier to carry...or even thicker blades...better ratio....and so on. But I'm not interested in that. I want the most blade/handle I can get and still have a practical and affordable design.

Hope that helps clarify the direction I'm headed in on this one.

And, like always - feedback is welcome, appreciated and listened to!

:thumbup:

Dan

Shotgun - glad you noticed that.

I did away with it because it was not practical....kept catching on things when I had to "zip" through a material...so out it goes.

I also did away with the tapered tang because it didn't make enough difference compared to a drilled tang left at the full thickness, yet added a TON of work and specialized tools in the process.

The steel on this one is around 0.190" thick....the skinniest one so far. Because, honestly....I have found I don't really need it more than that. I have gone as thick as 0.280" and the last one was 0.208" and they are still "overkill", so I took these down to 0.190" thick to try them out for a while. The hollow grinds will make them excellent push-cutters too (something the previous versions did not excel at).

I like the pointy tip on the 3.5" very much. And I hate sharpeningcoils too, so that's a serious improvement to me. That one really interests me.
D2 would be fine. CPM 154 even better :cool:

Back