New Gerber Diesel Review

The new Diesel looks like a redesigned 600. Very similar in overall apperence, but some definitely a lot of changes/improvements.

1- the stamped stainless handle is almost unchanged except for some subtle angles. when opened, the handles move apart from each other. they have enginered two extra pivots in the jaws so as to cut down on pinching. they are much better than the 600 but still not as good as Leatherman. the lock release is much the same, but with more texture for improved grip. the pivot bolt heads are much bigger and are adjusted with TORKS and seem stronger, but just plain ulgy to me. gone is the ruler, but picture references for tools are stamped into handle. this has no real use for me but.....they did get rid of all the sloppiness in the plier jaws!

2- the plier jaws are stamped in the same form as the 800 Legend but without the replaceable carbide inserts. wire cutting edge is longer.
600- it's about 1/4" on Deisel-almost 1/2" they also have a more needle-nose point. the grinds on the jaws are way to sharp(outside edge grinds) and needed smoothing out. the jaw-lock release buttons are now retangleular and milled with traction groves. (for lack of better terminology) and gone are the "master-link" clips to hold the jaws in and are now TORKS screws instead.

3- main cutting blade: a 50/50 single blade with a modified reversed tanto point (yes) adveritised as just tanto, but very pointy if not fraglie. my blade had a large burr but a few strokes on the strop and was ready for cuttin'
*note, the blades on the Gerbers have been skinny but all blades on the Deisel seem to be thicker and stronger. the blade serrations are new looking to me and are V cut and work quite well. i.e... VVVVVVVV as opposed to
UvvUvvUvvU , get it?

4- the saw: is reminessant of Leatherman. same tooth grind and non-replaceable. not as long, but more stout. could be good or bad as seen by the individual purchaser. cuts like the devil. (good)

5- the phillips bit: is now flat like the other tools and seems to work on #1 and #2 screws

6- the can opener: has been redesigned and looks a lot different and seems it will serve more diverse uses. (only time will tell)

7-sissors: longer than others used in Gerbers and seem to cut well. as is aways the case, no replacement for a good pair of dedicated sissors.

8- no real differences in remaining tools, Gerber standard issue.

over-all fit and finish is true to Gerber, ok, but could be better. but then that would up the price. you'll have to see and handle this multi before you buy.
I wish I could post pics to help this review but can't.

Walter

Great review, Walter!

What problem(s) are you having posting images? I would be glad to host them for you, if that's the only thing holding you up.

GeoThorn

No problem. I was hoping that you had a less serious difficulty that I could help with. ;)

GeoThorn

geothorn said:
No problem. I was hoping that you had a less serious difficulty that I could help with. ;)

GeoThorn

Thanks, I'll use this Deisel and let you know what I think.

Thanks for the review. Despite having only Leatherman tools I have a certain afection for Gerber as I see them as an underdog of sorts. I guess I shouldnt and we should let the market decide on what is good and what should go the way of the Dodo.

I'm happy to see them make more of an effort though.

Great review, How much did you pay for it? Is it avaiable on black oxide finish?

Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

Temper- thanks, I've always liked the Gerbers. Just like the one hand opening and the jaws open WIDE! And now, NO MORE SLOPLY PLAY IN JAWS!

Tango44- thanks. I paid 59.00 + tax which i'm sure is retail :barf: I try not to think of that when "I just can't wait" I don't know about black oxside finish, sorry.

Code3, sorry it took me so long to get back here.
I got the Diesel from a large sporting goods store Gander Mountain.

*still have not seen black oxide. BTW

I got the new Gerber tool for $32.00 Tax Included...I guess I got a good deal then huh!

Does anybody else have personal reviews of the Diesel? I swore off Gerber multi-tools a while back, but I have to admit that the Diesel does look good from a distance.

I bought a Diesel last week after returning a Leatherman Blast. I have have had several Gerbers multi-tools in the past and the Diesel is the best. I have never liked any of the mutil-tool blades so I still carry my Gerber Air Ranger.

Back