New GUNTING Prototype is great!

Sal; you and the rest of the team at SPYDERCO..(Heads up Vince, Patrick, Peter, Owen et al) did a great job on the protos of the new GUNTING. I loved demo-ing them in Russia. We were on TV, in newspapers, were visited by Ministry of Defense, Institute of Militaria...THe Russians/ SPETSNAS were very impressed with the knives and SPYDERCO in general.( UDT teams asked about all titanium versions for underwater work!)
Thomas HATED the new protos..of course his arm looks like "hamburger" from me demo-ing on him all the time!
The lock is famntastic....the trainer /drone/CRMIPT works fine..and the knife itself..ahhh love at first grasp!
The whole package is just as I envisioned it ..THANK YOU!
I sent some revisions off to the SPYDIE production group ..see you after I get back from Israel..
VIDEO QUEST and I will start on Videoes in April!
thanks again!
I'm sure Guy will want to fONDLE the new knives!

Sounds great Bram. Now, Sal, when are we going to be able to buy?!? I've allocated my limited knife buying funds to purchase my Guntings. Just wondering how long this money will be burning a hole in my pocket
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

Bram/Sal:

Tip-up or tip-down carry? (Please say tip-up, works so much better for a knife this size.)

Can't wait...

Joel

The last word, I think, was that official announcements and pictures and specifications for general circulation may be a Blade Show event, in June.

And, since the Gunting is a purpose-built martial bladecraft tool, publicity and marketing will be handled with care. The way some mind-sets work, the fact that it is designed with non-lethal defensive possibilities in the closed position may actually make it more controversial than a knife that, when used as a weapon, only works by drawing blood. In the realm of much cruder designs, consider how dimly authority figures view a knife with a knuckle-duster guard.

This will be very interesting.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

hi Bram - I just got home. Glad testing went well in Russia. I guess you're off again. Have fun in Ceasaria, wish I was there.

MM - 1st Scheduled shipping date is 1 SEP 00.

Joel - Sorry, the model is tip down. Tip up cannot work for this model as it would open "Kinetically" when drawing, whether you wanted to open the knife or not.

James - Yes it will be an experience and an edge-u-cation.

sal

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 03-15-2000).]

Thanks for the info Sal.

Yes, from the picture I can see tip-up is out of the question. Despite my preference for such, the Gunting will definitely be entering my "tool" collection. The applications are just too numerous. Kudos for going out on an edge (bad pun) with it.

A related question. Where is Spyderco in regard to their martial-craft program? You may want to take a cue from Camelbak from a marketing standpoint. They have their normal hydration line, and also a recently introduced line for military and LEO marketed under Maximum Gear. See www.camelbak.com and www.maximumgear.com for the differences. (I just got ahold of one of their MotherLodes for a SAR pack, and is it ever nice.)

I could see something similar with Spyderco, where the Guntings/Matriarchs/Civilians/etc. are promoted outside the standard line.

Anyway, whenever I bring up the whole Spydie martial-craft idea to folks in the martial arts, military, and LEO communities, they get real excited. Hope this goes someplace in the near future.

Joel

Just wondering whether the JSK's humpy bit is meant to be used in the same way as the Gunting's spiney point?

Bram,

Am I off but aside from a different handle shape and lock, the gunting looks like and probably functions like the escalator?

BTW, Sal, I am now intrigued by the reported new but "simple" lock design. I am sure you're testing this baby to see where the strength and reliability is vs, say, the linerlock.

sing

AKTI #A000356

Ferret - It wasn't planned that way. However, it was the JSK model that Bob Taylor first demonstrated the "Kinetic" opening to me (before he began making the Escalator).

sal

Not only Thomase's arm looks like hamburger - Bram was kind enough to demonstrate a few technics on my right hand that is now slowly healing (I wttended the seminar in Israel - and a detailed report on this should be available soon).

The only thing I can say of the GUNTING is that it is one serious fighting tool - and a breakthrough in the combination between a non leathel tool (like the kobutan) and the fighting folder. it seems like some smart people - both the guys at Spyderco and Bram himself has thought of EVERYTHING about this knife. believe me - if Bram wasn't such a nice person that prototype woulld have stayed in Israel.

Well, maybe the fact the guy is a devestatingly efficiant fighter had something to do with it....

I am waiting for my GUNTING Knife - Trainer - Video combo to arrive.... Sal, Scorpio - do you hear me?

[This message has been edited by Blilious (edited 03-20-2000).]

Originally posted by Blilious:
I am waiting for my GUNTING Knife - Trainer - Video combo to arrive.... Sal, Scorpio - do you hear me?

I'm with you, Blilious, I'm eagerly anticipating this knife, trainer, video combo. Now that I've recovered from my motorcycle accident and I can resume my FMA training this is going to be my next major knife purchase because it'll fit in so well with what I do.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

I just saw the pix on the other thread. It's not the prettiest knife I've ever seen, until you consider it's purpose ... then it's down right beautiful!!!
biggrin.gif

One thing I see that I really like is that between the blade length (looks pretty short-how long is it btw?), the sharpened top edge and the shape of the point above the thumb hole ... it's probably going to be a B*TCH to disarm. Was that part of the intention of the design, or just a by product of the blade shape based upon other factors?

Let me see, Sep 2000 ... that's right around the time of my wedding anniversary
cool.gif
As I recall, you're supposed to give steel for the 8th anniversary
biggrin.gif

Good job all around guys!

Dave Fulton

Back