Photos New hawk

2BE89D6A-550A-44B9-9F05-ED4D90A11A1A.jpeg View attachment 1477778 B755DF79-476A-497E-907A-EFC90C656B9D.jpeg DF7EDD66-F80B-45EA-8417-AC0510C2BE4F.jpeg New hawk, really nice, but not too nice to use, which is how I like things. Made by @walkbyfaith777 hits the sweet spot for me. Hand forged 4140, Osage handle(yes!) Very skillful work. I’ve ordered a second one in a simpler lighter style. Bought the book The Fighting Tomahawk by Dwight C McLemore. Added learning how to fight with a hawk and long knife to my workouts.

Last edited:
That’s sure a nice piece of work, but I always thought persons wanting a fighting hawk would choose a spike. I find my spike hawks very useful for firewood handling, but my friends keep saying they’re scary. Scary sharp, yes - but I’m too old and tired to fight, so I have louder tools for self defense.

Anyway, did you consider a spike hawk, or does the hammer offer something better?

Beautiful hawk, in any case. Congratulations.

Parker

I am oldish too. Mid 50’s. I try not to be delusional about my diminished strength. For me this hawk is too heavy for fighting. I also ordered a smaller, lighter one. This one is good for training and building strength. I didn’t want a spike although it must be better for fighter. The hammer on this one is long with a lower overhang on hammer head, with some underside curvature. You can pull stuff with it. Underside hammer edges are not sharpened but they are sharp. I hooked it over my shoulder and lightly pulled it up my back (over a flannel shirt). It would cause serious damage if you meant business. And if someone was strong enough to use it for fighting, and hit hard with the hammer, fight over. I am putting a longer handle on this, it’s now 19in, probably go 22, more leverage. A small axe might be better in this roll, but I like hawks, and I am just playing around in the woods. I take small dogs with me and we have coyotes. Yes, in unlikely event of real need to defend, I too prefer things that go boom.

Last edited:
IIRC most of the "fighting hawks" from French and Indian Wars time period were not very large or heavy, and tended to have longish spikes. I imagine folks wore a lot heavier and more durable clothing to get the same insulation value as today's fabrics.

Coming from a Kali background I quickly found most of the hawks out there in practice would be something to swing for the fences while issuing your war cry, there will be very slow recovery of missed shots or tangled heads. Many of the modern fighting hawks are much smaller, full length steel construction to balance out the weight.

The heavier ones are good for pure exercise and chopping stuff, beautiful hawk BTW!

walkbyfaith777 is one of those rare individual's who's work I'm willing to bet on, perhaps even fight or drink over, of whom I have yet the privilege of holding one of their tools :thumbsup:

if I won the lotto, you can bet that the 17th thing I'd do would be to gift him a service provider level membership so he could advertise more of his work here - he's very good about that too, not breaking the site rules. I sense an upstanding guy/family.

17 being a lucky number, and related to the reality I'd have to do something silly like take a pretty lady out to dinner first... or at least a pretty doggo out for an ice cream cone :)

I get more impressed with this guys work with each new hawk/ax I see him make someone, someone luckier, or wiser, than I :)

Last edited:
New hawk, really nice, but not too nice to use, which is how I like things. Made by @walkbyfaith777 hits the sweet spot for me. Hand forged 4140, Osage handle(yes!) Very skillful work. I’ve ordered a second one in a simpler lighter style. Bought the book The Fighting Tomahawk by Dwight C McLemore. Added learning how to fight with a hawk and long knife to my workouts.

lest I forget, what do you think of the tapered steel butt end on this hawk? I am considering getting one, but without the tapered end (just a standard metal butt end).

Do you have any advice on this end?

I don't think I've seen a hawk head with better fitment. Nice hawk Congrats.

lest I forget, what do you think of the tapered steel butt end on this hawk? I am considering getting one, but without the tapered end (just a standard metal butt end).

Do you have any advice on this end?

Not really advice. The the blade on this hawk is 4.25 inches cutting edge. The hammer is pretty long and sculpted with makes it pretty to look at and also more useful than a shorter hammer I would think. The second one I have on order is 3.25 in cutting edge and plain short hammer. Going for light weight. On their website I think I asked for blade style D in 3.25 and hammer style 1 with hammer shortened a bit. It depends on intended use I guess. For multi use tool and if you don’t mind sharp things pointing back at you hammer style 9 looks useful. Adze style. I can imagine this being a great primary edge saver, you could dig with it, cut with it, chop with it, and looks like it would make a pretty fierce weapon.

IIRC most of the "fighting hawks" from French and Indian Wars time period were not very large or heavy, and tended to have longish spikes. I imagine folks wore a lot heavier and more durable clothing to get the same insulation value as today's fabrics.

Coming from a Kali background I quickly found most of the hawks out there in practice would be something to swing for the fences while issuing your war cry, there will be very slow recovery of missed shots or tangled heads. Many of the modern fighting hawks are much smaller, full length steel construction to balance out the weight.

The heavier ones are good for pure exercise and chopping stuff, beautiful hawk BTW!

Agree with this. Did a lot of research on historic spike tomahawks, and was surprised to find out how different they were, even from the modern tomahawk market—including the full tang kali fighting tomahawks. It’s rare to find a tomahawk, especially a full tang, that weighs less than 20 ounces. Many historic spike tomahawks averaged just 8-10 ounces, head and handle. A few examples are below 6 ounces, total, in weight. I got to meet and interview Jack Vargo, who wrote the book on spike tomahawks, and hold examples—it’s clear that these were built for speed—blindingly fast in the chop.

In my own experiments, I modified tomahawks by aggressively removing mass and testing against skull surrogates (coconut wrapped in thin strips of meat). I found that anything over 12 ounces required too much wind up in the chop and too slow of a recovery to feel “quick.” 10 ounces felt truly fast. 8 ounces or less was crazy quick. Definitely need to go with more concentrated chopping edge designs when you get this light. These experiments shed a lot of light on why these historic designs worked so well.

Warriors in the Iroquois Confederacy was also known to throw their tomahawks in combat—not in running starts either—historic accounts show these were thrown at first instant of contact from most any body posture, even thrown from behind cover. In my experiments, tomahawks 10 oz or less could be thrown at surprisingly high speed with little wind up. I am not athletic but we measured close to 40 feet per second on throws primarily with arm motion alone. At close range that’s difficult to defend/duck/dodge.

There’s a wide diversity of designs in historic spike tomahawks but today, most are making straight spikes, often needle tip sharp and definitely risking self injury. Historically, curved spike designs were quite common—many so curved to make percussive impact wounds impossible—these were meat hooks on sticks for catch and drag. I speculate the curved spikes were favored to reduce risk of self injury. Even many of the historic straight tomahawk spikes, which improve probability of wounding in the throw, often featured blunted or chisel tipped spikes. Plenty of force concentration to penetrate a person (plus clothing) in a committed blow or throw, but less risk of self-injury to the user. A lot of these historic lessons have been lost. We are trying to change that it’s slow getting new designs to market. We have two tomahawks out featuring curved spikes. Sales are improving. One’s an axe-like chopping blade, and the other is inspired by spontoon tomahawks. We also have a straight spike design intended for throwing, but that’s still in development. Anything worth doing takes a lot longer to get done the right way.

Y’all be safe!

Back