New Heavy Warthog

Just got this in the mail. Shown between my BK2 and original warthog that I bought about 15 years ago. It's OK to be jealous.

544810_10151254306620219_67917959_n.jpg

The new Warthog is a beast and the handle is very comfortable. Unfortunately it wasn't sharp out of the box but I can fix that. The sheath is sturdy enough but the design sucks. The top retention strap has never even been fastened before so I couldn't get it fastened. Not a big deal because I was going to mod the sheath and take it off anyway. The bottom D-ring for the leg tie is plastic and seems flimsy. When I get some practice making kydex sheaths I'll take a crack at one for this bad boy.

It is a beast. It's about the same weight as a BK9 but short enough I can actually wear it on my belt.

Nice looking hog. I don't really have a use for one but I really want one. It just looks like a bad ass knife. Congrats on the new steel.

Love that HAWG!!! I am a serious fan of the original, but I may have to pick up one of these as well. Let us know how she works.

Nice, didn't know they had a new one out. I want some action pics and a review! Please.

Nice looking hog. I don't really have a use for one but I really want one. It just looks like a bad ass knife. Congrats on the new steel.

I'm very fond of the original but they're actually very different animals. The original is a general slicer/utility type blade whereas the Heavy is a bit more of a short chopping knife. It feels like it could help with gathering firewood at camp but in a package I could actually carry on my belt. I have a BK2 and BK9 which are close to the same weight but the BK9 is a bit long to have on me all the time and the BK2 you have to choke way back on the handle with a two finger grip to chop with. If you paired this with a tweener, a necker, or a Mora you'd have a heck of a pair. Throw in a multi-tool or SAK and you're all set.

I'll try and get a review done but I haven't been in Colorado very long and I don't know of a place I can go out and put this guy to work yet. Plus I was re-profiling and sharpening with my worksharp but my fine grit belts are worn out so I got the edge convexed but it's not sharp yet. Let me know if you live near me and want to fondle my blades. I have an RTAK II I need to try out too.

I love the Warthog and have two of them. Such a damn cool looking tool and I've posted more than a few Wartie threads. Here's a review I did a while back:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/873174-Lots-o-pics-Warthog-review

I absolutely agree about pairing this with something smaller and thinner being a great and ultra useful combo for typical camp duties... I could see myself with a Warthog and a sodbuster, just as an example. Also not a fan of the sheath, although it does function.

NB I can't stand the old one, heh.

I love the Warthog and have two of them. Such a damn cool looking tool and I've posted more than a few Wartie threads. Here's a review I did a while back:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/873174-Lots-o-pics-Warthog-review

I absolutely agree about pairing this with something smaller and thinner being a great and ultra useful combo for typical camp duties... I could see myself with a Warthog and a sodbuster, just as an example. Also not a fan of the sheath, although it does function.

NB I can't stand the old one, heh.

I really liked the 4-way comparison thread you did. Lots of good info there. I can't wait for the BK10 and I'm wanting one of the CS hawks.

What'd you ever do with your warthog that you took the handle off of?

thanks for the kind words.

on the dehandled warthog, I eventually managed to get a pretty good rusty patina on it using Plums, bought and I think dyed the weather for a handle wrap, and then the project kinda died. that happens a lot with my projects :)

2012-10-27_12-35-21_786.jpg

super tempted to just sand off the patina and put the handle back on. but that would be just as much of a project, and like I said...

Last edited:
Hey BRL were you going to wrap the handle or do a stacked leather? If you ever decide to pick the project back up be sure to post some more pictures.

I am loving my KB WartHog.

100_1047.jpg

100_1054.jpg

Dont be afraid to use it either. I love the sheath, for a stock sheath.

I have been eyeballing this knife for quite some time. I dont "need" it, but it appeals to me for some reason. Oh well, maybe I will ask the old lady for one for Christmas :)

Hey BRL were you going to wrap the handle or do a stacked leather? If you ever decide to pick the project back up be sure to post some more pictures.

The plan was to wrap it, but in a way I haven't seen before... I bought square lace, and as I wrapped it I was going to twist the lace. The kicker was that I was going to try to wrap it in kind of a random pattern, the idea being to make it sort of this post-apocalyptic haphazard thing like a mutant made it out of scraps from a junkyard or whatever.

I'd like to think that I'll get around to it, but life is ultra ultra complicated right now and there is zero time for knife projects. If and when, there will definitely be pictures.

That does sound awesome. I definitely understand the not having time though. There is so much stuff I want to do/make knife wise but I have no time with school.

I saw a youtube video where a guy cut out a plate and made a Heavy warthog into a full exposed tang with wood scales. I think it'd be cool to do that and have a Becker handle put on.

I'm going to have to go look for that video, that is an amazing idea.

[youtube]pNzyz5xvPqg[/youtube]

He's got a couple more videos about it on his channel.

Figured out what I done did wrong.

Last edited:
Back