New jersey legal carry

Very soon I will be travelling to and staying in the state of New Jersey. Google search did really provide any practical on the street information besides no autos balls etc.. Blade length, pocket clip ? Destination Hackensack

When it comes to New Jersey, you need to have a good explainable purpose for carrying the knife you have. Autos, gravity knives and double edged are big no-no’s. Balisongs are a grey area I wouldn’t chance. If you’re going to be engaging in outdoor activity, a Victorinox, Buck 110 folder or Old Timer fixed blade skinner would probably be acceptable so long as you’re not acting sketchy. If an officer asks you why you have a knife, always say it’s a tool. Never say it’s for protection or defensive use. That’s admitting intent to use as a weapon.

Pepper spray. As stated above you can have a knife but if you use it for anything other than opening packages you're in for a very long and expensive legal battle.

Thanks for the info . Probably just taking my Victorinox and maybe a Gerber multitool. Places like NJ make me appreciate my home State where anything goes and no one worries about about a knife because we're all packing high capacity pez dispensers

New Jersey well known as a sh** state for knife and gun laws. Having to explain your reason for carrying a knife sounds ridiculous as hell. Place sounds as bad as Ma. and California.
? You don't need a reason to carry in California. Unlike most states, there isn't even a blade limit for folders, and you're good concealed or open (fixed do need to be carried in the open though).

New Jersey well known as a sh** state for knife and gun laws. Having to explain your reason for carrying a knife sounds ridiculous as hell. Place sounds as bad as Ma. and California.
Why don't you stick to the laws of your own state? California knife laws are fine for most residents. I have and carry 3 different OTF autos. Can that be done in NJ?

As a previous NJ resident, I would say that a Buck 112 would be a safer bet than a 110. The 110 has a blade longer than 3.5 inches, and I wouldn't put it past some LEO to give you some grief regarding blade length. That being said, I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket every day, Spyderco, CRK, BM, RH.
I think as long as you stay away from autos, ballisong, double-edged knives, and blade length at 3.5" or less, you should be good to go. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, and don't know if they passed any more insane laws since we've left. There is no state pre-emption, so cities, counties, and towns can, and do enact their own laws.
A good source to check would be AKTI.

I have lived in Jersey for last 20 years . Work in NYC. Carry an auto everyday. had A few officers tell me to put my knife in my pocket completely, not using the clip. That is it. Does anyone have experience with someone getting in trouble for just carrying a knife In Jersey? Not committing some other crime and having a knife in him At the time. Just for carrying a knife. I havent Heard of one yet. Would love to hear some stories. I think even napped has a book on Nj knife laws
Thanks.
I was under The assumption this whole time everything was legal in Jersey as long as you had a good reason for carrying that type of knife.

NJSP definitely has the STASI look about them.
AVHcev.jpg

Don't ya need a permit for every handgun you own in N.J? Rated as one of the worst states in a Guns and Ammo magazine article a while back. Some northeast states not bad at all with permitless carry in Maine and N.H.

Don't ya need a permit for every handgun you own in N.J? Rated as one of the worst states in a Guns and Ammo magazine article a while back. Some northeast states not bad at all with permitless carry in Maine and N.H.
Yup. NJ requires a Firearms Purchase Card, one for rifles and shotguns that's good for as many as you want. But the one for handguns is only good for one purchase, so you need to get a card for each handgun. It was such a hassle I only had one Beretta 92 as a NJ resident. I added more after I moved to New York State cause one NY Handgun permit is good for multiple handguns. Don't know if things changed after I left.

Last edited:
Yup. NJ requires a Firearms Purchase Card, one for rifles and shotguns that's good for as many as you want. But the one for handguns is only good for one purchase, so you need to get a card for each handgun. It was such a hassle I only had one Beretta 92 as a NJ resident. I added more after I moved to New York State cause one Handgun permit is good for multiple handguns.
Thanks I figured that! Took my son 7 months to get his LTC in Ma. recently. No bargain here. Believe here one can carry an auto knife if you have a License To Carry also. Would be nice if laws were not so different between states and communities. Actually surprised when I was able to buy a spring assist knife at a local Dick's years back in Ma.

Yup. NJ requires a Firearms Purchase Card, one for rifles and shotguns that's good for as many as you want. But the one for handguns is only good for one purchase, so you need to get a card for each handgun. It was such a hassle I only had one Beretta 92 as a NJ resident. I added more after I moved to New York State cause one NY Handgun permit is good for multiple handguns. Don't know if things changed after I left.
Does NJ still mandate FMJ for civilians?

Yeah those 'gray areas" can be a royal P.I.T.A. Swear they do it on purpose to discourage people.

Back