New knife,I just finished up

I ment nothing against Neil,I have done 8 knives and Neils works has inspired me,I have my own desings and they are coming very soon
this knife was a present for my farther,I have never said that Neils work did not put me on the path,But one thing that I will not let go off,that I have worked for and that is how to grind and how to finish a knife,that part is all me.
I have 26 emails wanting me to make a knife like this for them
I have turned all of them down,
My next work that will be posted on the forums will be all me
but my grinding style will not change just the knife designs.
I am not making and selling knives like Neils,the work I have done
is a new maker learning the craft, nothing more nothing less
Mr RW Lovless has had more loveless droppoint copied than one can shake a stick at.No disrespect on my part.

Nathan

And Ernie Emerson with his chisel ground, the Scagel type hunters, Bill Burke and Ed Fowler knives, Moran edge (convex grind), Loveless drop point hunter, Bowie knives, you get my point.

If Mr. Blackwood does not mind it, why should everyone else does ? :rolleyes:

Nathan,

I like the knife. It has nice flow, clean finish and interesting handle material. I can see an INFLUENCE of Blackwood, but it is nothing close to a copy. I am sure you didn't have the thought of "I will make this look like a Blackwood, and people will think I am as good as he is..."

I have other makers influence all over my work. Fisk, Tomes, Fitch, Dean....probably several I don't even know I took inspiration from as well.

To the rest of you attacking Nathan...Leave him alone!! He is starting out in a good direction with INFLUENCE from a good maker. Stop trying to find fault where there is none. It is bad for all of us. Nathan is exercising the sincerest form of flatery by takign what he likes from anothers style and letting it become his own. It is what ALL of us have done.

Personally I think Nathan already has a style. When he posts a pic I see Nathan all over it. I'd bet I could spot a Nathan knife across a room of a hundred knives.

I'm glad, Nathan, you say you won't change your grind style. To me it is very distinctive and good looking. Of course I'd hate to see you lock into something too.

Just keep eating dust Bubba.

Steve

PS How long am I gonna have to wait for the next pic?

Steve
Thanks for the complement,My wife bought me a new toy for my Birthday,she got a a contour grind made by Rob Frink,man is it sweet
I am really looking forward to getting it set up,
After I get it set up I am sure there is some new disigns
coming;)

Beautiful blade Nathan,

I have always said there is only so much someone can do to make a blade look different.

Anyway keep up the great work and I love that handle,your father will be proud.

Hi Nathan, there's a nice blade you made there. I don't know too many knifemakers therefore I can't appreciate the similarities between your style and theirs (as other more educated formites did).
But it happened to me too that I designed a knife and it turned out to be similar with a particular model (as you have noticed it yourself when I posted my first knife here). I guess this is inevitable when you have the "function first" in mind. IMO, it doesn't mean that you steal other's work if you create a similar knife, especially that this is obviously a one of a kind piece, therefore beyond any mercantile considerents.
All I can say is "Congratulations and keep them coming!"

Dialex
I here you,I know were you coming form,I have something on the burner that you will be seeing;)

Originally posted by Nathan House
I ment nothing against Neil,I have done 8 knives and Neils works has inspired me,I have my own desings and they are coming very soon
I am not making and selling knives like Neils,the work I have done
is a new maker learning the craft, nothing more nothing less
If I might add a comment here...

Nathan, like the rest, I have seen your great work and the fine knives you have produced so far. The Blackwood influence is inescapable.

As a new maker, just as important (or moreso) than learning how to make and grind well, is developing integrity and trust within the knife world. It's a pretty small community, actually. With Neil's past problems on cloning (didn't you know about his titanium wallet knife fiasco?), he is definitely one you want to tread water carefully with. His following is strong and devoted, and you may be doing yourself a more harm than good by learning with his designs. There are undercurrents that are coming from this that aren't what you aspire to.

I applaud your reluctance to offer these knives to the mainstream market.

Looking forward to your own designs, soon. I think you are ready.

Coop

Coop
I respect that,I am a new maker and I am still finding my place
these knives I have made are not what I will be saleing.MY line of knives will be coming out soon.But in my defense,I do not think there is a maker out there who has not been influanced by some one.
and this includes Neil.
Neil on some off his first works did a Loveless droppoint
it was a match to the T and others he did had a heavy Larry Harley
influance.I have been jumped on by some many people and I was banned
from a forum becasue I posted a picture off a knife.I said nothing to no one.
I have never said my first works did not have Blackwood influance
they have,but I am on my own quest now,I want to put this subject to rest now.Neil was angery more about the black pins I used in this last knife,Neil is not the only mkaer in the world to use black Micarta pins in a handle.
I have been slammed and never spoke a world.Neil is a good maker
that is for sure,but it is a good thing Loveless,Randall and Lile did not act this way when someone was influanced by there work because if they were there probably would be no knife making community as we know it.enuff said on my part about this subject.

Nathan, or might I also address you as Kainnable? The thing here is that you have copied Neil's style in the past; more than once. This has been brought to your attention, you have been asked to stop and you have done nothing about it. You seem to think that there is nothing wrong in doing this.

Develop your own style. From what I understand Neil does not consider it a compliment that you are copying his designs. If you are having trouble developing your own style and since Bob Loveless doesn't mind, maybe you should try a few Loveless style drop point hunters or Big Bear fighters.

There is so much more going on than just this knife.
Nathan, what about the makers that sent you equipment for knifemaking after you repeatedly pleaded poverty, only to see you sell the equipment? What about the 1/2 dozen makers you emailed and phoned incesssantly till they finally had to put you on ignore? Neil himself spent hours and hours on the phone with you. What about a while back when you emailed and phoned me how you were a new maker with no money and I agreed to make you a couple of sheaths for half price, specifically telling you that it was half price as a courtesy to you, only to find you posting that price on the forum the next day in a discussion about sheaths?
Knifemakers are a great and giving bunch of people, but you use them up. Take,take,take. Stop playing the victim. It appears you grind a fine blade, come out with your referred to designs already.

Bailey, great to see you posting here. Eagerly awaiting the outcome of R's takedown bowie.

Keith,what are you talking about?Kaninnable wht does that mean.
I have had a couple people tell me what was said after I got band
from the USN for a picture,That is childish.
I wish some people would worry about themselves and less about
others.
Lifter,the only thing I had sent to me from a maker was a set off pullys,that were form Mike Hull and that was 3 years ago.
I am still using them today.I have not phoned makers incessantly
I have spoken to 3 knife makers,I have spoken to Neil 2 times
and each time it was about a 20 to 30 minute talk
I have spoken to Jerry Hossom to get his input On A2 and I spoke with him for about 15 minutes.I have spoken to Mike Hull 1 time about tappering tangs.And as for your shaeth I spoke only good things about you and what a nice guy you were.I have not taken anything from any one.I am not playing the victim.I made a knife for my father and showed it,I did not think it would open a can off worms
The couple knives I have made the first thing I said was they were influanced My Neil Blacwood,I did not pawn them off as my on disgin
I am a new maker and I have some new work coming.The knife I posted was done three months ago.
Really the only people having any thing to say anything bad about the knife,have been people from the USN boards.this is like High school,the bully's picking on the new kid,I am new at knife making and I will grow into my own.I have made 8 knives that is it.
let this drop it is getting old.
I will be at the blade show in June,come look me up you may be in for a surprise,you may speak to me and find out that this thing has been really gone to far.
Lifer,enlighten me on the makers I bugged calling etc.please back this up with a fact.Alot of what you are hearing is nothing more than hear say.
lifter,why to you have a quote from the bible and be acting like you are,better watch, the lord has a way off turning thing around real quick.I am nothing more than a new maker spreading his wings.
Neils designs will not be sold or made for anyone from me to sale
I have had 26 emails about the knife I posted,wanting to take order on that knife.I turned them down.
lifter
This is for you
(Faith are the wounds of a freind but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy)Proverbs 27;6
Leave me alone now,go back to your board and bad mouth me there
I really have nothing to say anymore nor do I care to

You sir, are a liar.
Go back to my board? I was a member here before you heard of BFC.
Ahh, the old bible quote tactic. So if a person believes the bible they need to make nice, ignore the truth, and be a pansy? I dont think so. I seem to remember someone fashioning a weapon to drive the cheats, scoundrels, and profiteers out of the temple.
The truth will come out.

"The couple knives I have made the first thing I said was they were influanced My Neil Blacwood,I did not pawn them off as my on disgin."

Not exactly the first thing.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274470&highlight=nathan+house

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264609&highlight=nathan+house

There's at least one other NB design you posted, your very first I think, which I can't find for some reason but the Blackwood design was an issue there too.

Anyway, here's Neil's site for comparison
http://www.blackwoodknives.com

"Neils designs will not be sold or made for anyone from me to sale"
this one was obviously sold:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279777&highlight=nathan+house

Again, you seem to have solid grinding and finishing skills. But maybe it's time to try someone else's designs. THAT will get us to "drop it."

Nathan,

You were banned because of your ABSOLUTE FAILURE to repect the plea and wishes of Neil Blackwood.

Neil begged you, asked you, and told you to stop cloning his designs. Neil guided you, educated you and helped you to find your own style and you did NOT. That's why.

If you put this knife side by side with an unmarked Henchman, an honest person would see alot more than an 'influence'.

"There are just so many ways to make a knife"

That's NOT something said by SUCCESSFUL Makers.

Keep cloning and your name will be as recognized as Harvey Glieb's is in the knife industry.

Guys,

I feel the pain you guys put forth. I am going to take a chance with Nathan House to see where it goes. I sent him a design to make for me personally. Not to be part of Ceya Knife Designz since DMKnives has that covered.

I also help with a redesign of a designed he posted earlier on this forum and USN. I hope this will help him in getting some ideas and away from the BLACWKWOOD influence.

This man has skill and I think that he should move foward from this and continue to march. I told him he can post my design here. I don't gamble but people did on me so why can't I do the same.

My extra 2cents.

S/F,
ceya >>Ceya Knife Designz

Back