Recommendation? New knife questions

For some context, I've cooked my whole life, some light kitchen prep work professionally, but never anything too serious. I'm in the market for a main go to home chefs knife. My old roommate had a set of wustof, not very well maintained, but they were nice. I can't decide if I want to go factory or custom. since part of the choice is definitely an aesthetic choice, i definitely love some of the looks of the customs I've seen, and Damascus/steel design. But I really can't afford to make several purchases if I don't end up liking the first one I get. So, my question, what should I be looking for in a quality knife? Any specific red flags I should look out for? Any one have recommendations for reviewers who actually know what they're talking about?

Thanks in advance!

You need to decide how much you want to spend first and what type of knife you are looking for. Do you want German style or Japanese, stainless or carbon, what size. If Japanese, western handle or Japanese handle? Do you sharpen yourself or send knives out to be sharpened? What cutting technique do you prefer, what cutting board do you use, etc. There is a forum dedicated to kitchen knives that has a wealth of information, but you need to answer a bunch of questions before you will get good advice. Kitchen knives are not like folders that people buy to play with and mostly just open and close them and open a few boxes or envelops. Kitchen knives actually get used for what they were designed to be used for, at least most of the time.

I would not recommend going custom unless you know exactly what you want, otherwise you will get disappointed and not receive the knife you thought you ordered.

You need to decide how much you want to spend first and what type of knife you are looking for. Do you want German style or Japanese, stainless or carbon, what size. If Japanese, western handle or Japanese handle? Do you sharpen yourself or send knives out to be sharpened? What cutting technique do you prefer, what cutting board do you use, etc. There is a forum dedicated to kitchen knives that has a wealth of information, but you need to answer a bunch of questions before you will get good advice. Kitchen knives are not like folders that people buy to play with and mostly just open and close them and open a few boxes or envelops. Kitchen knives actually get used for what they were designed to be used for, at least most of the time.

I would not recommend going custom unless you know exactly what you want, otherwise you will get disappointed and not receive the knife you thought you ordered.

Well that's really my question right now, are their any good reviewers/YouTubers/text sources I could read that could give more information on these options? And I thought this post was in the kitchen knives section?

It is in the right section, at least at this time, but many people browse the recent/new post and forget where they are when reading.

I don't know any youtuber who comments on kitchen cutlery but you might want to look into the various properties and try and find what fits best with you.

As a short list, I prefer stainless, tho demascus looks amazing and I'd love that if it's not too demanding in the way of maintenance, and I tend to prefer Japanese blade design. And I think my cutting board is rubberwood. I don't know as I actually have a cutting technique really.

My main concern is trying to learn enough about the different features, designs, steels, compositions, etc to make an educated purchase. There's a lot of 'buzz word' advertising with knives that I can tell don't always make a better product. Like all good things. It takes time to make the right decision.

Sorry, what I meant was there is a whole other collection of forums on a different website that specifically deals with kitchen knives. It has all the information you want and then some. Most forums frown upon links to other not associated sites though. The kitchen knife forum section here is pretty weak.

As you most likely know damascus is basically there for looks and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it comes with a few issues. Most of the damascus knives are not fully damascus, they are clad with core steel being something else, but the issues apply to both. Kitchen knives get used a lot, best kitchen knives also have hard, acute and thin edges and because of this they get sharpened a lot. Unless the whole blade of your knife is very thin as you sharpen a kitchen knife you are changing its geometry, so in an essence you are continually changing the performance of your knife. At some point your knife starts performing badly because it becomes very thick behind the edge. At this time you need to thin the knife to bring geometry back to what it used to be. This can either be done a little at every sharpening or be a project after some time, but in any case you need to sharpen the blade above the edge and you hit damascus at that point. Damascus looks the way it does because it was etched, as you sharpen it stops looking good unless you re-polish and re-etch it. Not impossible to do, but a pain. You also can't effectively thin a knife on sharpmaker or edge pro and need bench stones and skill at free hand sharpening. Thinning is not really talked about around here because few people ever need it in folders or even outdoor knives, but for good performance in kitchen knives sooner or later you will need it.

Your goal of learning as much as possible before buying is great, but I would caution you against being afraid to make a mistake. You can read as much as you can and buy your knife, but until you actually try it and use it a little you won't know if it really works for you. It is ok to buy something use it for a little and then buy something else. This is also the reason why I don't think a custom is a good idea unless you really know what you want. Now, once you tried many, many knives and have everything sorted out then you can custom order. Just my opinion ofcourse.

japaneseknifeimports
japanesenaturalstones
knivesandstones
epicedge
carbonknifecompany
cleancut
homebutcher

are some of the places that specialize in kitchen knives and Jon at japaneseknifeimports is one of the most knowledgable people in the field, his sharpening youtube videos are some of the best. If you call him and explain to him what you want he will recommend something for you and not necessarily from his store. Ofcourse it is more fun to do your own research first, but talking to him is still worth it, just a great guy all around. Also, if you have a good kitchen knife store near you, you might want to go and handle a few that look good to you, it will at least tell you what feels good to you.

My main concern is trying to learn enough about the different features, designs, steels, compositions, etc to make an educated purchase. There's a lot of 'buzz word' advertising with knives that I can tell don't always make a better product. Like all good things. It takes time to make the right decision.

You might give Yaxell (Apogee) a serious look. I very much like their Dragon Fire line with the red Micarta. It's slimmer (spine) than the standard Dragon line and unlike their other lines, it is not clad. Although you might actually prefer that style. I love the BD1N steel! Very well made knife at prices that aren't off the charts.

JaU6emn.jpg

You can try kitchenknifeforums and chefknivestogoforums for more in-depth discussions of kitchen knives.

Back