New leather for my Choppa

Forum member rayban stopped by for a crash course in convex sharpening a few weeks ago and during this time displayed some very nice leather work to say the least. In the end he offered to make me a sheath and after seeing his examples it was a offer I could not refuse. My kershaw outcast holds a special place in my small knife collection but the one thing I never liked about it was the sheath. I gave Rick a idea of what I would like and what I got back was more than words can describe. From the burnished edges to the perfect stitching, the flared front opening to the stiffness of the leather and distinct styling, if this blade had not proven itself so well it would have not been worthy of such a beautiful sheath.

Enough of my rambling time for pics :D

Picture1113.jpg

Picture1114.jpg

Picture1115.jpg

Picture1116.jpg

Picture1123.jpg

Picture1120.jpg

Picture1124.jpg

Picture1126.jpg

Some of the cool features about this sheath are the the strap and the way the blade is held in the sheath. The strap not having a snap to hold it down is a really neat idea, I like it because it gives it a little different styling and makes the sheath very quite. The blade locks into the sheath because of the way it wraps around the finger choil and even with it unstrapped the only way its coming out of the sheath is if you draw it to the front. The ability to draw and insert the knife is also very smooth and quite, overall a 10 of 10 by another great forum member.

Nice sheath. I have eyed an Outcast before. Not sure I would love the rubber handle, unless it was made of resiprine C.

I don't really love Krayton (not sure if that is what the handle on these is).

Nice sheath. I have eyed an Outcast before. Not sure I would love the rubber handle, unless it was made of resiprine C.

I don't really love Krayton (not sure if that is what the handle on these is).

If you have working hands its not a problem ;)

I have long been impressed buy the work and character of that former Texas gentleman! ---Sandy---

Very nice looking sheath! :thumbup:

I agree with not liking Kraton since my domestic cat can chew the stuff up without much effort and it is always put on the same way as the handle is put on the Outcast so that it can't be fixed easily.

Rubber handles are usually not my favorite either but the Outcast uses Santoprene which on this knife is honestly great stuff, especially combined with the grip texture chosen. It holds up well on this knife so far from my experience. It also lessens shock just about the right amount without losing a lot of feel during chopping.

Really nice looking again. Low cost but nice working knife with a fine sheath creates a really low cost overall but expensive looking set up. :thumbup:

$70 is "low Cost" for a machete??? No, I have a low cost one...$10 at knife swap!!

KN put a convex edge on his....really makes the blade much more bad-ass looking.:thumbup:

"Low cost" is all relative and in world with similar sized (10" blade) bush knives that cost a thousand dollars and much more I just personally consider $45 to my door for NIB to be low cost. That would be for this knife or really any knife of almost any design that I would consider owning. Paying $70 for this knife is not very smart shopping but even then I would still call it low cost in a market where a similar knife design costing 10-15X as much is not uncommon.

"Low cost" is all relative and in world with similar sized (10" blade) bush knives that cost a thousand dollars and much more I just personally consider $45 to my door for NIB to be low cost. That would be for this knife or really any knife of almost any design that I would consider owning. Paying $70 for this knife is not very smart shopping but even then I would still call it low cost in a market where a similar knife design costing 10-15X as much is not uncommon.
I like this blade, please let me know where I can get it for $45 shipped.
Thanks!:thumbup:

I like this blade, please let me know where I can get it for $45 shipped.
Thanks!:thumbup:

I bought it off a guy with a good rep on eVilbay quite a while back. My brother and friends all got theirs from the same guy. One bought 3 and out of all 6 we bought, one of the 3 of his was warped. The rest were perfect and none were marked as blems and were explicitly stated they were non-blems in the auction. The guy that got the warped blade is still working out the issue as the warp was discovered only recently from being put away without a thorough initial inspection.

Anyway, things don't look as bright at the moment so maybe my exact price was unfair but I still stand by $70 as low cost in relation to everything out there that sells and sells well. A quick search did turn up a place (although kind of scary looking to order from) that appeared to get it to your door for just under $56. Waiting and searching is key and sometimes only to save a few bucks. I'm sure $45 for an Outcast NIB to your door can still be beat with some effort. Might just take a bit. ;) Right now $60-65 to your door doesn't seem too hard and even though I said it wasn't smart shopping at $70 I think the knife is actually worth more. I like it a lot for its intended purpose. :thumbup:

Everytime I come back to this thread I drool over that sheath. That combo looks so nice to me.

Back