New Leatherman folding knives?

Ive seen em online at LM's website, they dont look like anything special. They have a few at my local shop, they're reasonably priced, $54.99 for one model. If they had one with a saw blade, Id buy it without hesitation.

-[digidude]

I was looking to get one of these, but my local knife shop said they did not stock them because they were "junk made in China".

I would be interested to know what someone who actually has one thinks of them.

First, the Leatherman knives are made in Portland, Oregon, home of L'man. Quality is great and the 154 CM blade is outstandingly sharp.

I have three of them (thus far) and the e301 has been my edc for about a month.

As far as the dealer who berated China, find another dealer. There are junk knives made in both China and the USA. There are also great knives made in both countries. Check out the Byrd line from Spyderco.

Cheers - Joe

JoeBW said:
First, the Leatherman knives are made in Portland, Oregon, home of L'man.

Are you sure about that?

I had a chance to look at some of the Leatherman knives today in my local Dick's Sporting Goods. I looked at the e203 and the k502x. No where on the packaging or the knife itself does it say "made in the USA". What I did find was a sticker on the clamshell packaging that stated: "Intended for sale in the USA". Why would it not proudly state made in the USA if it is? I know there is an issue in California, but I am in NY. "Intended for sale...." Something very fishy here....

Anyway he is what I thought of knives.

The k502x is very heavy and bulky - too bulky for an EDC for me. It has the bit driver with additonal bits stored in the handle, a can opener and a caribiner/bottle opener. The blade is 154 CM steel and the blade locks and is released with a button on the back.. The bulk made it feel awkward to handle.

The e203 was much more comfortable to handle. It has both a philips and flat head screwdriver and caribiner/bottle opener (though different to the one in the k502x). It also has a "blade launcher" that is suppose to flick open the blade, however it did not work too well - you have to do it just right with enough force or it opens part of the way without locking. The stud for the "blade launcher" also pulls over the blade when closed. I tought this was a locking mechanism but I found out even when it is in the closed position when droped the blade came open. The blade locks open with a liner lock and is 420 steel.

I really like the carabiner feature on these knives, but it was not enough to make me want to buy one. There were too many flaws for me and perhaps over time Leatherman will improve their knife line.

bought one from academy sports and its as good as the muti tools they have.great knife and sharp

Saw them in Target. They are big and heavy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the steel was AUS 8. It was covered all over in very cheap looking Zytel. It might be good for what it is intended for. A regular size folder with a few tools, but in my opinion it won't do well. Doesn't look like a useful compromise.

JoeBW said:
First, the Leatherman knives are made in Portland, Oregon, home of L'man. Quality is great and the 154 CM blade is outstandingly sharp.

I have three of them (thus far) and the e301 has been my edc for about a month.

As far as the dealer who berated China, find another dealer. There are junk knives made in both China and the USA. There are also great knives made in both countries. Check out the Byrd line from Spyderco.

Cheers - Joe

What is the difference between chinese and usa made knives/tools?

> What I did find was a sticker on the clamshell packaging that
> stated: "Intended for sale in the USA". Why would it not proudly
> state made in the USA if it is? I know there is an issue in California,
> but I am in NY. "Intended for sale...." Something very fishy here....

There’s nothing fishy here. Products are regionalized all the time for specific markets (different blade lengths, documentation languages).

Falsifying Country of Origin is a nasty offense and that wouldn't go undetected for very long. US customs WILL impose hefty fines after a few warnings.

I have had the e304x for a few weeks now, and have been impressed by it overall. I like the carabiner. I like the blade shape, material, and it comes sharp. The blade launcher took a few try to get the feel for it, but once I got it I liked it. The only thing I don't like is that on my knife the blade and lock don't quite fit perfectly, and if I open the blade real slow the lock will click, but not lock yet. I think I'm going to send it in for warranty and I'm sure LM will fix me up nicely. Fun knife overall in my opinion.

My daughter-in-law, a mechanical engineer (OSU grad, same as Tim Leatherman) visited the Leatherman Plant (PDX area of Portland, Oregon) last year with a group of engineers. While she was there she saw the new line of knives being made in front of her.

I would have liked to have been on that tour but, unfortunately, my degree is in another discipline and I wasn't invited. She was kind enough to do Q & A about her visit though.

Like many manufacturers, whole product or parts thereof or assembly can be accomplished all over the world. For example, I have a bolt-action Enfield made in Ishapore http://www.iguanasoft.com/~jeffersonian/ishapore.jpg. I would be surprised to know that Leatherman is an exception to this widespread practice. I'll send them some email to ask and post any reply.

Best,

oregon

Here is the entire email response from Leatherman when I asked where the new line of knives were made: design, parts, assembly and finishing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is in response to your internet e-mail message rec'd in our offices today. All of our tools are made in the USA of US and foreign components. Yes, our factory is located here in Portland, Oregon. We're right over by the Portland Airport. The manufacturing and assembly and shipping all take place here. We have a full staff of design engineers that keep us coming out with new product! If you give us a few weeks notice, you and your friends are more than welcome to come up for a tour. Please contact Monica Hosler if you are interested in doing so. Thanks for contacting us."

LaVerta Eblen
Customer Service
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
Portland, Oregon USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tour can be arranged! Oh boy!

Best,

oregon

I've had the first leatherman, the wave and then the supertool. By far the supertool is the best of the lot because all of the tools are locked into place, no slippage. The Wave has four primary locking tools and is smaller but has a scizzors, great for cutting nosehair. That's the only drawback of the supertool, but then again, I guess you could use the pliers to yank them pesky hairs out. The pliers are by far the best on the supertool.

I bought a Leatherman knife for the heck of it at Target for about 24.99 , the one with only a knife blade, no added drivers. I think it's the K301. Mine does not have the 154CM blade, but probably is 420HC, and appears roughly bead blasted/stone finished.

It's okay for the price. I like the multi-tools better; however, I mainly bought it because I like LM, and also for a beater knife and the blade-launcher. I like the blade-launcher concept far better that the "flipper" guards on so many tactical-type folders, particularly the M16 knives. On closer examination it's kind of interesting how the blade-launcher operates, and the "stop pin" is actually a part of the steel liner extended out then folded across the back. I'd imagine this would hold up to hard blade flicking over time better than most normal stop pins would.

My particular model I don't think anyone on Bladeforums is going to ever rave about, but I like it as a unique "toy" and for the price it's fine for me. It's no Griptilian or VG-10 Endura in the cutting department, but it does quite well for what it's designed for.
Jim

THe initial small knives were made of 420HC, I think these are the model numbers under about 304 or 305. I was in teh factory just before the OCKA show. The current models (306/307 for teh small ones, I forget for the larger ones) are 154 CM. I think the injection molded handle parts, and maybe the aluminum scales, are imported. The blades are made right from 154 steel mill products to finished blades in Portland.

In 2005 Leatherman introduced a series of folding pocket knives, some with a multitool ability. In total there are ten models:

E300/E301: Classic 420 stainless steel liner lock with glass reinforced handles and Leatherman's Blade Launcher™ knife deployment mechanism. They also have a folding carabiner/bottle opener. E300 plain edge and E301 combo (plain/serrated) edge.

E302/E303: Same as the E300/E301 but with s skeletonised glass filled nylon handle. This model also incorporates both ¼” flat and Phillips screwdrivers. E302 plain edge and E303 combo edge.

E304x/E305x: This model is the same size as the previous ones but the blades are now made of premium blade steel called 154CM. This steel has triple the edge retention of typical stainless steel.
The handles are made of machined aluminium and glass reinforced nylon. As with the previous models this model also has the carabiner and blade launch mechanism. E304x plain edge and E305x combo edge.

E306x/E307x: Same as the E304x/305x but with the addition of a proprietary bit driver plus two spare bits neatly stored in the handle. E306x plain edge and E307x combo edge.

K500x: Traditional lock back design with thumb stud for easy one handed opening. It also use 154CM steel and has glass reinforced nylon handles. It is designed for rigorous outdoor use.

K502x: Traditional lock back but all the features added. Carabiner, bit driver and can opener.
Steel is 154CM and handles are a combination of machined aluminium and glass filled nylon.

Back