New Lion Steel SR1 IN ALUMINUM!

I was on the lion steel website last night, and this isnt mentioned (or at least I didnt see it) It looks like Bladehq added it today:

lion-steel-sr-1-aluminum-pre-large.jpg

Straight from their website:

Lion Steel Knives SR1-Al Aluminum Folding Knife (3.7" Satin PLN)
The Lion Steel SR-1 Titanium knife has been well-received here stateside and we're excited to announce an aluminum version that is expected to come in late January 2011. All pictures and descriptions are subject to change, but we'll keep you posted with updates.

Specifications:
Overall Length: 8"
Blade Length: 3.7"
Handle Material: Aluminum
Blade Steel: Sleipner 60-61 HRC

SWEET! :D

Did they mention a price? Can't say I trust Italian engineering...

Wait, is that to say it has an Aluminum framelock? Is that even feasible? Surely the framelock side is made of something different.

What? Italians are some of the top engineers in the world.

Their engineering is famous, but I think it's overrated. Lionsteel has gotten some good reviews, but their competitors seem better for the price.

I mean, for a famous example, Ferrari's are supposed to be triumphant examples of Italian engineering. But there are a lot of companies that can make cars that go 200mph, and most of the time better designed ones. One year, a Ferrari had the worst gas mileage of cars sold in America: 8mpg highway. And some of their motor oil costs $60 a quart. Sure they can go fast, but what takes real engineering ability is to make a car that goes that fast efficiently and without requiring a lot of expensive maintanence. The Corvette Z06 can go over 200 mph and it gets 20 mpg and costs about $70,000. I find that to be a much more impressive design. And if you look at the lower end Italian cars, you'll see that their offerings aren't impressive at any price. That's why only Italians are willing to buy fix-it-again-tony FIATs. Furthermore, Italians don't even make the world's fastest cars, and haven't for some time. Their products tend to be more about flair than function.

Wait, is that to say it has an Aluminum framelock? Is that even feasible? Surely the framelock side is made of something different.

Dont they have the stainless steel insert on the face of the lockbar? If they have that it wouldnt really matter if it was Ti or aluminum cause neither will be coming into contact with the blade...i think

I'm guessing they'll use the same system as on the SR-1, where a replaceable piece of metal comes up against the tang.

Gentlemen, we now have a LionSteel Knives forum at Bladeforums, so I moved this. :)

Modern Italian knifemaking has nothing to do with ancient Roman civil engineering or modern Italian automotive engineering. But Italian knifemakers do fine work and have a lot of good knives on the market.

Dont they have the stainless steel insert on the face of the lockbar? If they have that it wouldnt really matter if it was Ti or aluminum cause neither will be coming into contact with the blade...i think

Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. It's just that I've never heard of an Aluminum framelock before, so I'm a bit curious about how well it'll work.

Lionsteel has gotten some good reviews, but their competitors seem better for the price.

I have 4 Lion Steel knives and it's obvious that for a reasonable price they make very nice tools.
Specifically about the SR-1: where can you find a precisely made single piece Ti handle outside the stratospheric realm of expensive customs?

And while off-topic, honestly, would you really take a Corvette above a Ferrari? Come on...

My guess is it will be a liner lock with two aluminum scales. The liner being made of either titanium or stainless steel.

Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. It's just that I've never heard of an Aluminum framelock before, so I'm a bit curious about how well it'll work.

Microtech did it with the mini-socom. Also had the steel insert. My question would be, "how well does the aluminum bend?" and does aluminum have the good "memory' of ti, or steel?

Aircraft grade aluminum work hardens fairly quick when bent. I would think they would use either Ti or SS steel for the lock liner.

Sr-1 Aluminium will be available at the early February.
It will have the same design and construction of the SR-1 Titanium.
The first samples of them were done last year, we have tested them for one year.
The shell is made from a single piece of Ergal. It will be available in two different colours, Black and Green.
The Aluminium toolbar has been renforced with a hardened steel insert.
The blade is made of D2. It will be available in satin finished or Chemical Black, MilSpec.

These are the four version:
SR-1A BS Black Alum. satin finished Euro 170.00
SR-1A GS Green Alum. satin finished Euro 170.00
SR-1A BB Black Alum. MilSpec finished Euro 180.00
SR-1A GB Green Alum. MilSpec finished Euro 180.00

Last edited:
Their engineering is famous, but I think it's overrated. Lionsteel has gotten some good reviews, but their competitors seem better for the price.

....."overrated"...... :D:D

The free market is good because everyone gets what they want at the price they want.

I have to say that looks like a great all around knife. The blade shape reminds me of the Fallkniven F1. Very basic but very usable. The handle is basic but looks like it provides nice comfort and grip. Beauty in simplicity?

Never heard of this brand before but that knife is really appealing to me.

Back