New Model: Mora Companion Heavy Duty

A new old model from Mora came to my door this week sporting a 1/8" thick blade. I think most here have not seen one, so here's my take on these so far.

Feels heavier and more solid. Comes close to what I consider a primary carry knife.
The handle is the larger 'Robust' version. Fills the hand nicely and has a sticky feeling. I wish it was thicker and less tall though.
Overall quality and finish the same as the previous Companion, but the spine is a bit rounder, which is a minus.
Slices nicely, but not quite as well as the first two models due to a steeper blade bevel.
Currently, only a carbon model is available. The price is an un-Mora like $20. Still an excellent value, but I'd like to see them down in the $15 range.

New Companion Heavy Duty vs. first Companion vs. original Clipper, in this order:
Overall length: 8 7/8 -- 8 5/8 -- 8 1/2
Blade length at cutting edge: 4" (All three)
Blade height near base: .810" -- .810 -- .815
Blade thickness: .126 -- .098 -- .078
Handle height at largest point: 1.330 -- 1.210 -- 1.205
Handle thickness at largest point: 0.825 -- 0.805 -- 0.800
Weight in ounces: 3.6 -- 3.0 -- 2.6

Spine:
Companion Heavy Duty: Polished with slightly rounded edges.
Companion: Polished with square edges.
Clipper: Unfinished with somewhat sharp edges.

Some pics:

DSC_0569b.jpg

DSC_0571b.jpg

DSC_0574b.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite an improvement over the original Companion!!! I wonder if the tang is any larger/longer...and the price?

I checked with a magnet and both Companions come out about the same, roughly 3" into the handle. The old Clipper is probably half that. The cost is $20.

Tek, I like the orange :thumbup:

I checked with a magnet and both Companions come out about the same, roughly 3" into the handle. The old Clipper is probably half that. The cost is $20.

Tek, I like the orange :thumbup:

Thanks Halberdier - thats good to know (and 3" is pretty good given the price @ $20). I pd $14 for my Companion at a gun show (slightly high, but that included tax and no shipping). So, for an extra $6, you get a seriously stout Mora knife with the incomparable ergos and great blade profile. Way to go More Knife!

The length of the tang is identical to the regular Companion, but technically stronger due to the increased thickness. I've got these, in case anyone is wondering. :)

What's different about these than the Robust model? I do like the olive/black color of the companion line little more, but anything else?

What's different about these than the Robust model? I do like the olive/black color of the companion line little more, but anything else?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

You seem to minimize what is not a small issue at all. If you are special forces, special ops, commando, CIA, KGB, Mossad, MI6, or a member of any tactical team, you can only use this color. We're talking half the internet here!!! :nevreness:

And yes, that is the only difference. I thought it would have the same handle as the Companion, which I like. It came with the Robust handle, but I ended up liking it anyway. So it's all good. ;)

The HD Companion is a recolored Robust with a Companion sheath. :)

There are a number of models with ambidextrous sheaths--or did you mean the Companion series specifically? :)

How did i *know* you'd respond immediately?!?? ;-)

Yes, i meant the Companion model. The others are so similar it shouldn't matter, but that's me.....

Hahaha--well, there's always custom, but I guess that undermines the budget purchase aspect, eh? :D The chances of them making a factory lefty sheath for them is fairly low due to the costs of tooling for injection molding, though.

I got a couple of stainless Companions a little while ago, which I bought specificly because of the longer tang. Looks like I just need a couple of stainless Robusts and I'm good to go. I have no desire to collect Moras. I just want some decent users.

I personally doubt we'll see a stainless Robust due to how difficult it is to blank in that thickness.

Stainless steel is more resistant than carbon steel to deformation, and Moras are stamp-blanked. Stainless steel in that thickness would likely require heavier equipment than Mora is presently using in order to avoid damaging their present machinery, and that equipment is astoundingly expensive. So I don't think we'll see a stainless Robust unless they decide it's worth investing in new equipment for the purpose.

I prefer the Mora Bushcraft black, similar sturdy blade.

It looks better, but the cost is nearly double. Considering you can buy a Condor Bushlore for $30, a Mora really needs to stay under $20 to be the right value.

Back