New Models from Spyderco

It must be difficult to take the opinions expressed here and weigh their relative merit against other sources of ELU feedback. How representative of the "average customer" is this group?

I think this color question is an especially dangerous one when using the forum as a basis for "average" ELU response. Most of the people posting here own several Spydercos, possibly quite a few. We want a different color on the new knives so that they will be different than our other knives. This will likely not be the case with the majority of buyers. They will see a case at the store with dozens of knives in "classic black" and one in an odd color. If they like it, great! - it gets it noticed anyhow. But if they don't, they will be thinking, "Why is that knife a different color?" I can't imagine folks buying a design they don't like because the color is cool, but I can certainly imagine them passing over a design they like because it's an oddball color.

It sounds as though you're seeing this effect already with the burgundy Calypso Jr. Liteweight - the forum has gone crazy over the idea, but it sounded like the show reactions were lukewarm, with folks wanting it to be as dark (close to black) as possible. I'm not trying to torpedo our chances to see colorful Spydies, but I'd hate Spyderco's sales to be hurt by forum advice. I'm sure you've considered this already.

What has Spyderco's experience been in selling knives in two colors, like the Rescue or Snap-it? Has it worked well? That could be a possibility for the new knives (more SKUs...)

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Corduroy,

I am not so sure that colored handles (other than black) is a turn off for new buyers. I would think the opposite because of a certain "cute" factor. I think Mike or Spark posted that some of the faster going knives at the WOW booth were the Gigand Spectrum.

Drifting out of Spyderco products, but pertinent to what you raised is to to see which color Speedtech Synergy will sell the most since these knives will come with several options of anodized color.

sing

In Scandinavia, the standard color for synthetic handles on stainless steel fixed blade working knives is blue.

Perhaps a slightly darker shade of blue than the BladeForums Native would look good on some models, like the Calypso Jr. Lightweight for example. Of course, I should remember that Spyderco used to make the Delica and the aluminum Centofante in blue, and probably didn't discontinue those variations for being runaway best sellers.

As for Gigand's new colorful best-seller, how a Spyderco model that would be as close a copy as possible of the Spectrum, but with a blade hole, and then see if that outfit has the nerve to complain?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 20 June 1999).]

We've done the color thing a number of times with different models. Generally, the dealers and distributors complained more than the ELU. But also the market changes and we're watching that as well.

The forumite group may not be indicative of the general market, but the opinions are knowledgable and valuable. Many ELU buying knives don't know one steel from another and buy there knives by eye, not by performance...like art, which is not Spyderco's forte.

We are also getting tired of black, Colors reduce the ominousness of knives in the minds of many, adventure is always fun and we're not afraid to try some colors. My preference would be for more dignified colors with a "rich" look rather than the bright colors, but I expect Spyderco knives to be used, and bright always attracts attention.
sal

I handled the burgundy Calypso Jr Lite at the Blade Show and liked it quite a bit. I told Michelle that I thought it was a great color. The concept piece I looked at was rather dark IMO. It was a nice dignified color.

Sal- Part of the reason the A.G.Russel Horn is still one of my favorite knives is the burgendy rucarta. Very nice color.
Mike K.

Chief in any color other than black in G-10 is a plus. Forest Green color or medium green would be my first choice. Burgandy would be 2nd.

How about Spyderco 'Clip-it-Card' for a name?
smile.gif

Well, I'm weighing in on the side of the more color group. I lobbied also for the BF Native to have blue handles, but understand not everyone wants their knives to stand out. But the burgandy or green would be different w/o being too gaudy.

I'm not sure I understand the problem over the Native name for the C-41 knife. I was under the impression the the name was derived from the fact that the knife was one of the new Spyderco knifes to be mass produced in the USA rather than in in Japan. Thus being Native to the USA not because of any relation to Native Americans. As for the Chief name: There are also Fire Chiefs,Construction Chiefs, and many others. So this could be just the principal knife in a collection of a style of knives without any relationship to Native Americans.

lbwheat

Sorry so many people feel so antagonistic towards black handles here. I know quite a few people who 'use' their knives alot, who truly prefer black as opposed to any colors for a carry knife for legitimate practical and/or stylistic reasons. I personally stay away from anything(color handles) that attracts attention to my carry blades especially when it's not even in use. I'm quite aware of what is stylistically correct for me and my lifestyle and personally appreciate the 'business' look.
Seeing as how Spyderco is of the 'variety is good' school of thought, I'm sure everyone will be happy in the end.

Ken

Sal:

We are also getting tired of black, Colors reduce the ominousness of knives in the minds of many, adventure is always fun and we're not afraid to try some colors. My preference would be for more dignified colors with a "rich" look rather than the bright colors, but I expect Spyderco knives to be used, and bright always attracts attention.

Great! The "rich" look is exactly what I would like to see here. KenN seems to be worried that a lot of people are "anti-black", but really I already have several black knives, including the Calypso Jr in Black Micarta. That is a very classy knife, but if I'm going to buy another Calypso Jr, I certainly would like something a little different.

We clearly don't represent the average ELU here. Most of us have multiple knives. Most of us carry more than one knife, either more than one at a time or rotating or both. I would expect to see more interest in novelty here than in the average store in the average mall. Still, a little variety is good in and of itself. Spyderco has consistently been one of the best sources of variety and I don't want anybody to think that I don't appreciate that. I do want to take every possible opportunity to encourage it, though.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

[This message has been edited by prn (edited 22 June 1999).]

Hey, whatever happened to getting those pictures out? Or did they get out, and I just haven't found them yet? I've been out of town a lot in June; sorry to bubble this back up to the top.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Forest Green, Maroon, Light Tan or maybe a Natural if there is such a thing.( like the new handles of some of John Greco knives).

wll

Regarding the pics? - James? Did you receive the protos? Probably ought to start another thread with the pics. This one is getting tooo long.
sal

I'm out of town at the moment, visiting grandchildren in the Pacific Northwest, where it's raining right now, so everything outside will be good and soggy when we shoot off explosives and incendiaries tomorrow.

The package with the prototypes may well be waiting for me when I get back to the office on 7/7, and I'll fire up the digital camera and the flatbed scanner.
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Back